Genki Study Buddies - 「皆さんはGenkiを勉強しています」

I’m using NihongoMaster.com, I learn a lesson, then get drilled on it. And after every 5 lessons or so, there’s a 50 question quiz. You can skip right to the grammar you need, and specify how many drills you want on each term (default is 5). I find it gives me great reading and listening practice and the drills make sure I practice what I learn. Want extra practice on specific vocab or kanji? You can add it to your drills at any time. I like that I can go at any pace, and get quizzed on so many different things.

Right now they are working on their Advanced Classroom which covers N3, so it’s great for beginners and intermediates in learning Japanese. They are constantly improving and adding to the site, so I hope that by the time I do reach the Advanced Classroom, they will be working on N2/N1 content. :slight_smile:

I have all the Genki books, but I prefer to learn online with SRS drills and other motivational features.

The colour coding is a really nice visual! I’ve been doing all my notes in black… (I have this one random super fine black felt pen that’s just great for kanji, as it gives just a bit of dimension to strokes and stuff… Instead of the 0 a ballpoint or any mechanical pencil would give. Not even sure where it came from…)

Hi, I bought Genki the other day and just finished chapter 3.
It doesn’t look like I’ll learn many new things from the book, but I like the explanations for all the grammar points. I look forward to finishing it and buying the second book.

I deeply apologize to everyone in this thread, actually getting to play games has been awful for my Japanese lately, I’ve been trying to bumb rush through persona 5 so I’ve been spending most of my time trying to get through that game so I can finish it before I don’t have time to play it and I’ve let other things suffer. I’m going to attempt to get Japanese caught up tonight, and hopefully get back on the bandwagon from there. Wish me luck.

Hey, no need to apologize to us. You need time for things like personal enjoyment. It’s a fact.
If you’re no longer on your own timeline for your goals, the only one you need to apologize to is yourself… whether it’s your strict Japanese-learning self to the side of you who needs time to have fun, or to your Japanese learning self from the side of you who did so for slacking on your studies… or perhaps both of you can meet in the middle.

I hope you’re able to find a better balance.

頑張って!

I’m just curious if you did/didn’t look ahead at the table of contents/flip through to see what it did and didn’t cover before purchasing.
The thrifty poor person in me (okay, so just me) is sad that you bought something you might have very little or no use for. : (

I ended up hitting the reset button, when I didn’t even recognize any of the items that were popping up in my list of reviews, and I checked the stats site to find that this level has so far taken more time than all of my other levels combined, (Including the level where I went on vacation mode for like 2 weeks), I decided I had buried myself to the point I might as well start over. I believe in working through the messes you make for yourself, but it seemed counter productive to struggle with this stuff when I know that I’ve forgotten things much more basic than what I was working on. Just kinda put myself in a bad mood.

Here’s to working smarter to hopefully never have that happen again.

It sounds like you learned your lesson and will be able to handle it better this time around. Also, because you’ve studied it before, hopefully that level (or levels) of stuff will stick easier this time.
How far back did you end up resetting yourself?

Just went back to 1, the first few levels go by really quick, and I should be able to advance really quickly, so I’ll be back where I was pretty quickly I think. I really don’t know what I forgot/didn’t forget so I wanted to be thorough and not skip something important because I got cocky and thinking I know something I have forgotten.

Feels bad.

Oh, because to me it looks like you’re still level 12. So I’m greatly confused.
Also don’t feel bad. Many people reset themselves.

I don’t think the change has kicked in on the forum side of things yet, It’ll probably be that way until tomorrow.

It does feel bad, it goes against my normal work ethic and feels like a bunch of wasted months. I know it was probably the better decision than trying to reteach myself everything through the reviews when there are literally thousands of them piled up, and they’ll never be reinforced properly, but it still feels like a giant waste.

You’ll probably fly through most of the levels quicker than last time, because you have seen it all before.
Try not to look at it as a setback, but as an opportunity to review more and better solidify the knowledge you already have.

You made me feel better. Thanks. <3

Anyway, I’m going to take this chance to get more invested on genki too, hopefully it takes

1 Like

True, the book isn’t as useful to me as it it to someone new to Japanese grammar, and I considered that before purchasing. (By looking at the table of contents, as you said, and reading one or two of the explanations) Here is how I justify my decision:

① Some of the grammar points are new to me
② I will get a better understanfing of the grammar I’m already familiar with because of the nice explanations
③ I need to complete the first book before starting Genki II
④ I didn’t even own a grammar book before this, it’s my first one

1 Like

Hey, that’s cool. All of those are good reasons. Especially 1 and 2.
I’m honestly just glad that you didn’t go into it blind and are unhappy or even bitter about your purchase.

1 Like

I know it’s recommended to use Genki with WK…but I’ve been totally neglecting Genki and only doing WK for a while. I think it’s partly because WK is just more convenient and doing something is better than nothing.

A lot of the grammar comes more easily to me, since the grammar structure of Japanese is very similar to my native language, so I’ve been doing okay…for now.

But I need to teach myself from chapter 3 again - anyone else still in the early chapters of Genki?

1 Like

Ok! I’ve set a goal. Chapter 1 and 2 tonight. Refresher. Then 1 a week. I’ve been lazy. Originally did up to chapter 8, but I need to restart.

EDIT: Coming back to this thread always guilts me. It’s doing its job!

Right???!

Thanks for posting. Reminds me I haven’t looked at any grammar in a long while either… Eep. ^_^;

:thumbsup:

The book is out of the drawer and now on my desk for later.

Nice. The thought is in my mind…

EDIT: And found the last post here where I said which chapter I was on…

1 Like