Genki I with Kanji! (Lesson 3, MIT OCW)

Hello Again! ʕ•ٹ•ʔ

I will be posting pieces of the Japanese 1 coursework so anyone interested can work on them in this thread. I aim to finish posting parts of each lesson within a week (or so), so the schedule is as follows:

Using the Genki 1 Textbook:

Week 1 (ends Sun 9/30) Lesson 1
Worksheet #1
Worksheet #2
Worksheet #3

Week 2 (ends Thurs 10/18) Lesson 2
Worksheet #1 & #2
Worksheet #3
Worksheet #4

Lesson 1 & 2 Review

Week 3 (ends TBD) Lesson 3
Worksheet #1
Worksheet #2
Worksheet #3
Worksheet #4
Worksheer #5

Week 4 (ends TBD) Lesson 4
Week 5 (ends TBD) Lesson 5
Week 6 (ends TBD) Lesson 6

Some small rules to stay organized:

Please use the following format when posting:

1. Reply to the original worksheet post.
  2. Use Hide Details when posting your answers.

Original Post

Hello Everyone! * ヾ(@^∇^@)ノ

I’ve been looking for a resource that integrates kanji and Genki so I can practice both reading and grammar at the same time.

Fortunately I just found some great resources on MIT’s Open Courseware (OCW) website! (b^_^)b

MIT OCW is a great resource for all sorts of subjects, including Japanese. Some courses even have videos of class lectures. I highly recommend it!

The Japanese I course follows Genki I and comes with sentence drills (and answer keys) written in kanji (beware there is furigana). Unfortunately there are no video lectures, but the drills are very useful for reading comprehension, especially if you are a beginner and are slightly intimidated by reading actual literature (like me).

If I get through some of the worksheets, I might propose creating a MIT OCW thread where we can work on drills together. ^^

Hope this helps anyone looking for new resources, and happy studying!

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/global-studies-and-languages/21g-501-japanese-i-fall-2012/

43 Likes

I’d love to partake in this thread if it is created. I have a little while to go with Wanikani before I can start though.

1 Like

Interesting. So you don’t have to enroll to the course but just download the materials and do them at your own pace?

1 Like

Yeeesssss! I love MIT OCW. I used it back in college if I missed class and really needed a lecture to do the homework (mainly for physics). They have all sorts of subjects. The whole idea behind it is that knowledge should be attainable to people around the world, even if they can’t afford an education.

3 Likes

The great thing is that you can probably start the drills around level 5. And I’d love to start the thread, just want to make sure I actually do the work before I do. I will keep you updated :smile:

1 Like

I looked through the PDF worksheets. They look useful. I think that I will print them ut and spend some time with them.

Thanks!

1 Like

MIT OCW is great. That is how I learned Linear Algebra. The instructor was so great, he didn’t mess around with mechanics at all, but looked at the big picture.

2 Likes

I love the instructors too, made me wish I had gone to MIT :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There is so much more than just Genki I there… also Genki II.

I hadn’t bothered to look at the material yet for “Advanced Japanese”… already this morning it has spiraled off into consuming too much time! I can’t wait to go all the way through these, thank you for posting!

3 Likes

Yes there is so much material! It is technically a 6 part course with plenty of coursework to keep Japanese learners busy at all levels :smile:

I was actually thinking of using the drills in the later lessons as a sort of “boring reading club” sort of thing. :sweat_smile:

This looks wonderful, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Man. I’m mostly happy self-studying with Genki, but video lectures are the one thing I’d really like to supplement it with. I’m lucky enough to actually be taking a class, but while I’m consistently ahead in reading, I’m pretty far from #1 in the class in speaking/listening.

1 Like

Count me in if/when this thread gets going! I think it’s great idea. thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you for this!!! I’m starting a local study group, but I’d be glad to participate in an online one.

1 Like

Me too, the videos would be much appreciated! Especially since I’ve seen other lectures on MIT OCW and they are so good and informative :persevere:

And I’m in the same boat with speaking and listening D: I really have to be strict with myself when it comes to practicing out loud. I’ve found the best time to practice uninhibited is in the shower :joy:

1 Like

These were recommended on Reddit. See if these videos help anyone going through the course. GENKI LESSONS | JLS COMMUNITY

3 Likes

Also @thecarpmonger and @zanzaboonda All this support for a thread is helping motivate me!! Thanks everyone :laughing: I will look into the syllabus and a schedule. It just might take me a couple of days to put the thread together :sweat_smile:

Im a fan of MIT OCW, and i had view those courses before… They have courses for many languages actually, I don’t really found it really appealing myself. but i had forgot entirely of its existence, thank you for sharing

2 Likes

I also forgot it existed >_>

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this resource, it looks wonderful!

Since some folks mentioned videos, I know these aren’t necessarily classroom lectures, but have you seen Japanese Ammo with Misa on YouTube? I’ve only had time to watch a few of her videos, but I found them to be incredibly informative. :seedling:

4 Likes