Genki I study group [home thread]

So tomorrow we begin! I am excite.

5 Likes

brilliant, have had the Genki books a while now but been too scared to open them, iā€™m definitely in :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Me and my boyfriend are in too! I have Genki for a while now but was always to lazy to start on my own. This thread is like a sign to finally start! :wink:

5 Likes

Iā€™ll probably crack the book open today since I have today and tomorrow off and it would seem kind of silly to miss out on half of that time because I didnā€™t want to start one day early.

5 Likes

Nice, count me in also! Iā€™ve previously hit level 10 on WaniKani but just reset my level after a few months of inactivity. I think the group setting will really help motivate me to finally go through the Genki textbook.

5 Likes

Excited to get started. Iā€™ve had Genki I for a while, but havenā€™t had the discipline to get further than Chapter 3. The romanji in chapters 1 and 2 turned me off a bit too, good that it doesnā€™t go past that.

Question for the group: Does anyone have a plan as to how to tackle learning the vocabulary for each chapter? I havenā€™t purchased Anki, so that is still an option, but donā€™t know if anyone has an alternative plan. If I remember right, the Anki decks people have mentioned donā€™t go by chapter, but by larger chunks of chapters (1-6 and 7-12 or something). I donā€™t want to try to battle learning vocabulary for later chapters too early (on top of keeping up with WaniKani lessons and reviews).

1 Like

My Anki deck goes by chapter, and everything but the iOS version of Anki is free. You can try it on your computer (if you have one) to see if you like the general idea.

3 Likes

Just tackle them a chapter at a time. I always make my own cards so I canā€™t really judge those made by others. For the most part I just do my Anki reviews daily and the vocab sticks, but for those especially tricky ones I will create a mnemonic to help with recall (the more bizarre the better). If you start getting overwhelmed with the amount of vocab, just try sticking to the ones marked with an asterisk in the vocab section so you can get through the material for the week, then review the others. If you really feel like it you can always just skip some of the ones you feel arenā€™t needed, for example, how often are you going to use the word 恓恏恕恄恋悓恑恄?

But seriously, get Anki ASAP. Youā€™re just putting unnecessary struggle onto an already tough language learning experience without it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m already a fair bit through Genki I already, but Iā€™d be more than happy to chime in. Always good to have people to review with :smiley:

1 Like

Glad I found this the day before it begins. Iā€™ve had my Genki book for a few years now, and havenā€™t gotten further than lesson 6. This is gonna break down that roadblock and help me push on through the book ā”—(ā€¢Ģ€ćø ā€¢Ģ ā•® )

3 Likes

For vocabulary I use Kitsun, there is a Genki deck ready to use on it :wink:
But if you prefer to use Anki, AnkiGen is a deck generator, you can choose the chapters of Genki and level of kanji that you want.

8 Likes

Anki is amazing, if you slack you get blown up pretty bad tho, but that was cuz I was too lazy to make a more specified deck and just included everything.

1 Like

Thank you, i just tried Kitsun and i like it much better than Anki.

7 Likes

Thanks again for setting this up @Jiggly_Jellyfish! Looking forward to starting tomorrow.

1 Like

Helloo everyone, please check out some things!
The first chapter discusion is here! Genki I study group, chapter 1 discussion thread
Also, I made some edits to the post at the top of this page. I included a linked schedule to each thread, and a table that you may use to put in your username and progress overtime. Filling out the table is completely optional, only do it if you want to.
I look forward to studying with all of you in each of the chapter discussion threads! And of course, please keep using this thread for questions and ideas about the study group, places to buy genki, and more.
edit edit: I added info about the kitsun.io deck

5 Likes

Alsoā€¦ I was unable to make the post a wiki, I canā€™t see an option for it. @CyrusS or some other wk admin, could you please mark this post as a wiki so others can fill in their study progress? Thanks : )

4 Likes

Hope I am not too late!!!

Count me in. Had Genki 1 for a while, never really used it. However now I have found WK and Bunpro I think I might be more successful this time around.

Also will be good for me to start posting and contributing.

6 Likes

Youā€™re never too late! We also just started today so youā€™re right on time
:blush:

3 Likes

I canā€™t figure it out either :frowning:

I think it has to do with the wikiā€¦ I didnā€™t see that message beforeā€¦

1 Like