Genki I study group [home thread]

glad I could help! :smiley:

1 Like

I just started here, but I’m going to try to join. Got the book a few years back, but my family got tired of me wanting to talk to them about it really fast so I stopped completely. Hopefully this will help me keep motivated!

9 Likes

Haha, whenever they see that i have the book in front of me they can’t stop asking questions about it.
I always say that i am learning Japanese and that this book helps me study grammar.

1 Like

I wish it was like that for me, but I see how that could get tiring too.

1 Like

Neat, only level 3 here on wanikani, I’ll definitely join. I’m a little ahead in genki 1 but I need the practice because it’s all alone passive learning. Discussion thread would be nice!

7 Likes

When I was searching for a study pack for Genki the split course one was the 1st came across. I wish I found I found this first! This one looks like it is all combined for one book. The split course also splits the vocab into the verbs, i-adjectives, na- adjectives, etc., whereas this combines all vocab.

3 Likes

I read on Tofugu that it’s more enjoyable/easier/faster to learn grammar when you know the sentence’s vocabulary which is 80% of the sentence and it’s so true (for me, at least) !
(If not for you, feel free to skip this message :kissing:)

I started learning Genki’s vocabulary yesterday and already finished learning chapter 1’s vocabulary lists. Yeah, I found out an amazing method for it ! So I thought I should share it with other beginners like me on this group who wish to start Genki with yous even though they don t have a lot of vocabulary yet.

The website is called Memrise and it uses mems to help you “memrize” the words (lololol). Some mems are absolutely hilarious and are made by people using the website. It works a bit like WK… It has packs for Genki I and II vocabulary. So all beginners ごごごごご !! (just “go” lol) :smiley:

( It s actually a guy that came to chat with me in a Japanese store who told me about it when he saw I was holding the Genki book, hesitating to buy it. He said he finished the two books in one year while having a job with this method, I wish I could thank this amazing person now :raised_hands: )

7 Likes

I’m definitely in. I’ve had the books for a bit and I’ve been working on WK for a while now, but I never actually started Genki.

3 Likes

same :joy: I was sad I had no-one to talk to about my Nihongo discoveries ! But that was before I discovered WK, now I can annoy everyone in this community :nerd_face:

4 Likes

I’m currently working through Bunka no nihongo 1 with my class and we are now on chapter 9. I’d love to work through Genki to see if it clarifies some points I’ve already learned.

3 Likes

I’ll join too. I have borrowed my friends Genki I & II textbooks, have had them for like a couple of years now or so and not studied one page ^^’

So maybe this will help me along now. Ordered the textbooks from Amazon JP on Sunday, I should be able to get them tomorrow from the collection point :open_mouth: 早い!

3 Likes

I was wondering this as well, specifically the timing.

So on the 11th do we all start reading the first chapter, or should we have already read through it and start discussing on the 11th?

I’m sure people will do their own thing, but wondering if there is a consensus on how the majority of us will approach the study.

3 Likes

Sounds like a fine adventure! Please count me in :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not sure about everyone else, but I’m planning to start reading the first chapter on the 11th.

7 Likes

Great idea!

3 Likes

@Chronus @Adventure your assumptions are correct. You can start reading the first chapter as soon as it is July 11, and use the discussion thread for that chapter. You can try your best to keep up with the schedule but there will be built in catch-up weeks as well, and no matter what happens, don’t rush if you’re not really learning : )
I hope this helps clarify

7 Likes

I take it you decided to create separate threads after the poll? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, I have decided that, the POLL results have spoken : D

8 Likes

This sounds exactly like what I’ve been needing to gain motivation for Genki!

8 Likes

Thank you so much for organising this. I am up to chapter 9, but going through it from the beginning with the group will be fantastic revision and hopefully cement the grammar points!

4 Likes