Genki I study group [home thread]

A bit shy about buying Genki because of the price + how fun Bunpro is (at least in its earlier stages). Anyone care to tip me over to the Genki side?

Well, if you decided to do a thread I will join it too. Happy studies!:grin:

2 Likes

would you reccomend being at a certain WK Level first?

No, you donā€™t need any WK to get a lot out of Genki.

It might help you adjust to the presence of Kanji when they start appearing in Chapter 3, but I got a real good understanding of the grammar rules Genki was teaching without knowing any Kanji beforehand.

Everybody has their own ideas of whatā€™s ideal or recommended, my inclination is to just go for it whenever you feel motivated to start.

12 Likes

Iā€™m in too. I stumbled across the answer key, so that could come in handy.

Iā€™ve looked through it before and I found it all very overwhelming, but that was a long time ago. But Iā€™ve avoided Genki ever since :grinning:

3 Likes

I bought Genki and a small stack of other Japanese books from CDJapan.co.jp.
Hereā€™s a link to the Genki page:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-929367

$32.31 USD

The gray colored answer key book is included as well as a CD.

The workbook is $14.77 USD

Hereā€™s the link to that page:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-929369

I think you get a discount too for being a first time customer. I canā€™t remember how much the shipping was but it wasnā€™t too expensive, I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, I emailed them once and they were very nice and helpful.

9 Likes

I havenā€™t used Genki myself, but BunPro has a Genki Study Path. So it could definitely be combined in a way that pivots BunPro lessons and reviews to reinforce what youā€™re learning from the book. ^^

10 Likes

Iā€™m down. Maybe a discord server would be good for this?

Iā€™ve had my genki books for a while but I still havenā€™t got round to starting them. Ive recently started wanikani and I already feel like im making alot of progress. Iā€™ll wait until july 11th to start genki! Iā€™ll just keep on with wanikani until then :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I will definitely be trying to join in on this. Iā€™m in a similar boat of having genki but wanting to wait till I reach level 10. Hopefully some added motivation will help me along haha.

Thanks for organizing this!

5 Likes

Definitely seconding a discord server.

I 'm joining too. Genki was a little too dry for me to tackle alone. Maybe this group will give me the push I need.

2 Likes

Definitely count me in!

giphy

6 Likes

count me in! iā€™ve been studying japanese for the last 3 years with a different textbook that wasnā€™t the best but i just got my genki books so excited to switch over :slight_smile:

4 Likes

WOW so many people are joining, welcome everyone!!!

@whomper @lubby I think we should keep it to a forum thread, that way everyone already has an account, and the forums can be searched by anyone. If you want a one on one study partner that you can chat with on discord, then check out this thread: https://community.wanikani.com/t/looking-for-a-genki-study-partner/

6 Likes

Count me in, too!

1 Like

Iā€™m in! Thanks for organizing this. Iā€™m excited to get started!

1 Like

Isnā€™t 1 chapter a week a bit fast? Thereā€™s a fair amount of vocab in each chapter to learn, as well as fully understanding all of the grammar points.

2 Likes

Well, I think it will be fine as long as everyone is putting in the time every day. And, if it becomes obvious that itā€™s too fast then I could always change the schedule, but I think we should at least try 1 chapter a week. And if you or anyone else is a bit behind, then thatā€™s okay, you can always catch up at some point.

4 Likes

Maybe 10 days? I know Iā€™m constantly at work so knowing I shouldnā€™t feel pressure would be a plus. Also, I always think itā€™s better that the pace be a bit slow for people than if itā€™s too fast.

Or, maybe give two weeks for the first chapter and poll everyoneā€™s times for the average, and then move on accordingly? Seems optimal.

4 Likes

Me too! Or Watashi, or ore, or whatever.

2 Likes