Genki I study group, chapter 3 discussion thread

いいえ、行きません。でも、仕事に行きます。

For that 2nd part, I would use べんきょうする as a verb like you used in 日本語をべんきょうしますか。 but in this exercise it looks like it’s being used as a noun with します (to do) as the verb. Hrm :thinking:

Boy, numbers above 10.000 really tripped me up on this chapter.
A friend of mine recommended that I split big numbers in sets of 4 digits, and it seemed to do the trick last night. Today, however, I’m struggling again.
Let’s take 953281, for instance. Splitting the number in groups of four will get you to 95 3281. So, 九十五万三千二百八十一, is that right? Google translate is telling me it’s 95221, for some reason.

1 Like

Probably just because Google Translate sucks.

No one really ever writes long numbers in kanji though, unless it’s for some deliberate effect.

3 Likes

Oops yeah guess that’s what I get for not proofreading. I’ll go fix that now. Sorry for taking so long to reply I was spending every second of free time playing the new Fire Emblem game.

1 Like

When I tried the Japanese from Zero series the supplemental YouTube videos helped breakdown down numbers and did actually help. Hope this helps you too!

Japanese numbers 10000-99999
Japanese numbers 100 million and above

4 Likes

I will not be able to finish today, but i only have left 2 exercises of the workbook and the writing practice from the workbook so hopefully tomorrow or saturday I will get back on track. See you on Ch4!!

same here. the workbook was dense for this lesson

2 Likes

Hiii again everyone,
I apologize for not being a part of the discussion more lately, and for getting the chapter 4 thread ready so late. I was really busy with some things lately. I hope to participate more from now on!

Here is the chapter 4 thread:

4 Likes

These were extremely helpful, thanks! (particularly that second video)
I now got a pretty good grasp of it, all I need is some practice.

1 Like

In the workbook in the listening section 3-7 B, what exactly is he saying for the 3 pm time slot? I have a hard time deciphering what he’s saying even though I know what it’s supposed to be.

I believe he’s saying “三時にヨガをします”

Yoga? My workbook says basketball for that.

That’s funny, mine says yoga too.

Do you have a different edition maybe?

Maybe? I, uh… got it from… a friend.

6 Likes

:eyes:

Dave Pirat(e)… :thinking:

3 Likes

Mine’s the second edition (audio and book) so you might be looking at the first edition. Most of it is the same, but every once in awhile it’ll have a different question in the exercises.

Um, I might still be on Ch. 3 ^^;; But anyways, not sure if anyone will still look at this thread but thought I’d make a note of something.

The dialogue has this word: 何時なんじごろ

But it appears like Jisho says it should be pronounced 何時いつごろ
(Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary)

:thinking: Are both correct?

いつ is mostly written in hiragana, although it might be written in kanji in (primarily literary) texts where the author feels like using kanji for いつ, それ, どこ and other little words like these.
Jisho simply doesn’t have a separate entry for なんじごろ, but if you search for 何時, you can find the two different readings: 何時 - Jisho.org
I would assume that a textbook aimed at beginners doesn’t expect you to know the いつ reading, and even in books for native speakers you would probably mostly have furigana if the author intends for 何時 to be read as いつ.

So yes, both are correct, but なんじ is much more likely as a reading here.

2 Likes

Ahh that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation!

2 Likes

(Don’t have a PC with Japanese installed cause I’m at work)
Also, just from the readings, I’d assume if you’re asking “nanji” it calls for a time as answer. “gogo sanji ni…” or whatever, while “itsu” can have more vague answers. “ashita…”, etc.
Can someone confirm or deny this?

1 Like