Genki I study group, chapter 2 discussion thread

That’s what I was hoping, thanks!

While I would agree that the topic of the second sentence is みちこさん, it doesn’t automatically mean that the next sentence needs to have the same topic IMHO.

I think the sentences as given are just unclear (without further context) and it could as well be “they both are employees” or “she is an employee”. Things such a pronouns are often omitted in Japanese if they can be inferred but here, it’s hard to tell…

Long explanation

I’ve heard a few times rules of thumb such as “once the topic has changed to X it remains X until it changes again”, or conversely “も adds to the current topic”, but AFAIK there’s no hard and fast rule, it depends on what people are trying to say.

I would also caution against approaching topics as if they were something very foreign and unlike anything in English (or French or etc.). I know a few popular sources present it this way but, to me, it helps more to think that:

• in Japanese, you have an explicit topic marker は and it often (but not always) is also the subject without explicitly being marked so (with が);

• whereas in English, word order makes explicit the subject and it’s also most often the topic; the usage is “inverted” if you will, but the notions are similar.

EDIT: What I mean is that, as a very rough rule of thumb, if you take the English, drop the pronouns (and forget about 3rd person agreement of the verb in ‘s’) and there’s not enough context to figure out the meaning, chances are it’s also going to be similarly ambiguous in Japanese.

3 Likes

woop woop
chapter 2 is a go

2 Likes

Oh man I’ve been using bunpro a few months before getting genki. After getting it, I reset my account and now doing all the これ、それ、あれ makes me feel really impatient.

Either way, I’m not really sure how secure I feel with the も particle, even after doing all the exercises. I guess I’m not ready yet to leave the safety of the は particle, but I have to be strong!

3 Likes

the work but exercises are a little tougher and the listening compregension at the end is really good

I already did all of them, actually! (I did the chapter ahead of the group, so I’m already done working through it). But I still feel pretty unsure about it

well done mate, keep going. Ive found it beneficial to go through the chapters and exercises multiple times throughout the week just to cement that knowledge before moving on. I made the mistake last time of getting too far ahead of myself so taking a slower approach this time.

こんばんは、

How do you go about listening to the cd? Am I the only one that does not own a cd player/disc drive? :sweat_smile:

From what I’ve read, the discs don’t even work on CD players. I use my desktop cd drive. Makes me really happy I chose to install a cd drive on my desktop as I would have no other way to listen to it! I think in the last thread someone said they were able to download the files onto their phone or something?

1 Like

here you go:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1f7wbm9o-enZ2dOS19nMzRtUlU

you can download them to your phone or listen online :):smile:

1 Like

ありがとうございます!

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah I read that too, I’ll try it in my car for kicks tomorrow. I use a 2018 laptop sans cd drive.

I’ve had good success just with YouTube. I didn’t check them all, but most of the chapters seem to be there.

1 Like

can everyone just scream a big thank you to
@alohawahine59 for posting the answer key!!!
it was so extemely helpful for the first chapter, and now it will help even more as things become more difficult! I don’t know what I would do without the answers, honestly!
thank you, alohawahine59
あ( ̄○ ̄)り( ̄◇ ̄)が( ̄△ ̄)と( ̄0 ̄)う( ̄ー ̄)

7 Likes

Hehe, どういたしまして :high_touch:

4 Likes

I should listen to the genki audio content… To get better at speed listening? If that’s what it’s called. When I try to listen to podcast, I spend too much time internalizing what I heard then translating it, but by the time I finish, the speaker is on their third or fourth sentence. :joy:
Also heard listening section is what messes a lot of people up on the JLPT. scary

1 Like

I’ve personally found that the Genki Audio and Video files speed up my learning. It gives you a partner to work off when doing some of the homework in the workbook. It also helps people who learn by seeing. I do not know why the videos on YouTube have such low view counts. Great resource.

3 Likes

just a reminder to continue to review previous chapters to fortify your knowledge of the basics!

がんば!

1 Like

Regarding the particle も in section 5:

Would it not also be possible to write たけしさんもみちこさんも日本人です in one sentence rather than two separate sentences? Or does it change the meaning too much to say both Takeshi and Michiko are Japanese?
Here’s a very short video about this particle:

Did you learn the word for student yet? You could replace 二年生 with student to say you are not one.