Genki Chapter One Short Stories

I’m trying a new all of the above study plan and going back through my Genki Book. Currently planning Chapter 1’s review regimen and was wondering if anyone knew where to find any short stories on the level of Chapter One (です、の、か). Thank you!

Short stories as in actual stories? I don’t see how there could possibly be a story that only uses です, の, and か. You can certainly find additional example sentences from other grammar resources, but probably not stories (no matter how short).

Did you check the content list of Genki ? After grammar chapters there are kanji and reading chapters. You might find them useful.

Hey! So I’ve been working on a web app that will provide content like this… but I haven’t finished it yet :sob:. I’ll definitely post once I do!

2 Likes

Cool! Let me know once you do! I’d be really interested to see it!

1 Like

I do not know of any…
So I will make one myself \o/

A: あなたのペンですか?

Is this your pen?

B: いいえ、ジョンさんのペンです

No, that’s Jon-san’s pen

A: そうか。じゃあ、今、私のペンです。

I see. Well, now it’s my pen

B: えーえっ?

H-huh?

Plot: 10/10
Climax: 10/10
Character Development: Off the charts

Sorry :laughing:

55 Likes

That plot twist though! The audience can really relate to B-san with the surprise reveal that A-san keeps the pen. I can’t wait for a sequel!

9 Likes

I might suggest changing ジョンさん to やましたせんせい to make it even more familiar to Genki readers.

Actually, I really just want to see that smug 先生 get knocked down a peg!

6 Likes

You want something to happen to 山下先生 you say? :wink:
Is clearly having too much fun with this

DISCLAIMER: Obviously I’m not an expert so there may be grammar errors! (Hopefully not tho lol)

Summary

B: えっ。。。それはダメです…ジョンさんのペンですから、まず、ジョンさんに聞いたほうがいいと思います。

Um… I don’t think that’s a good idea. It’s John-san’s pen, so I think you should ask him first

A: そう思いますか?じゃあ。。。ジョンさん!

You think so? Then… John-san!

(Aはジョンさんが見つけられませんでした。)

A could not find John-san

B: 山下先生!ジョンさんはどこですか?

Mr. Yamashita, where is John-san?

山下先生は泣いています。

Mr. Yamashita is crying

B:えっ、山下先生?大丈夫ですか?

Huh, Mr. Yamashita? Are you ok?

山下先生:大丈夫じゃない!実は。。。ジョンさんに…私のペンを盗まれた!

I’m not ok! The truth is… John-san stole my pen!

山下先生は、泣き続けました。

Mr. Yamashita continued to cry

A: 本当?じゃあ、このペンは。。。山下先生のペン?

Really? So, this pen is… your pen?

山下先生:は????Aさんは私のペンが持ってる???

What??? A-san has my pen???

A: はい…

Yeah…

山下先生はペンを掴んでみました

Mr. Yamashita tried to grab the pen

Aさんは、山下先生のペンをゴミ箱へ投げました

A-san threw Mr. Yamashita’s pen into the rubbish bin

次回に続く

To be continued

Sorry again :laughing:
I promise I’ll stop now

16 Likes

I don’t have the textbook any more so I can’t look at the exact level of writing in chapter 1 but if you’re looking for very simplistic Japanese I’d recommend checking out graded readers. The レベル別日本語多読ライブラリー series is excellently written and the illustrations are great. You can probably find them on Amazon fairly easy if you just search for ‘Japanese graded readers’ or something similar. I’ve also got a few volumes of the 日本語多読ブックス series and they’re good too (not sure whether these are widely available outside of Japan or not though).

1 Like

Bahahahaha

At first glance 投 looked like 殺 and I was like :flushed:
ohhhh :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hello, it’s me again, your editor! :heart:

サマリー

I believe Xを聞く means “listen to X”
“Ask John” would be ジョンに聞く

Since 見つける is passive/potential (られる) here, を changes to が (although I’ve heard something about a new thing where people don’t do that sometimes)

これ + の = この :grin:

5 Likes

Thank you~ :blush:

I’ll edit it in a sec so people don’t copy my mistakes!

(Also, I’m still out of likes but I promise I read your message @Tombow さん :woozy_face:)

6 Likes

If you’re out of likes, that definitely means you’ve been POLLing instead of reading.

slowly taps ruler into palm

4 Likes

Ye know too much. :eyes:

5 Likes

LOL niiiiice

Wholgist you’re the bestest :joy::rofl:

Thank you lol :laughing: I’m glad I could amuse you~

(I am still out of likes ;A; )

4 Likes

If you go read I’ll share some of mine with you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE READERS. I’m working my way through Level 0 right now and plan to buy all the rest over time. Great suggestion!

2 Likes