Genki 2 Study Group [Studying Chapter 23]

Nice!!! It’s great that you can take advantage of being in Japan for all of the free listening and speaking practice!

Lol, I don’t think I officially announced it in here, just sneakily changed the title. :ninja: No worries!

Yep, it’s 殺し, “As expected, we should have killed him!!” This book definitely has the scanning issues like some other Bookwalker stuff. Furigana is hard to read in places too.

3 Likes

I mean… What is the character between theし and the け? (Where I put the question mark)…I don’t think it’s わ or よ… Is it そ or を??
(This should be super-obvious to me, but… *ahehへへへ😅)

1 Like

Oops, misread your question. Looks like と to me. 殺しとけば
Some googling has told me that とく is a contraction of ておく which is then conjugated into the ば form, giving us しとけば. Tricky! Have to admit I skimmed right over that when I read it, haha.

2 Likes

YES!! THAT’S IT!!
OMG, thank you!! :pray:t6: :pray:t6:

2 Likes

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have been MIA but I am back! I have been prioritizing work and other high priority irl commitments for a bit now (adulting takes up time lol) and got a little sick in between too, but there is this Japanese grammar lesson I have been attending every weekend at least, but I lowkey know most of what is covered so far but it is good practice at least : )

I am going to get back to where I left off. Good luck with your learning journey everyone!

3 Likes

Welcome back!

Totally get this, it happens to all of us!

Feel free to post your thoughts about what you study in here :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi guys sorry, didn’t wanna start a new thread just to ask this, but does anyone have a link to/remember the name of that site that you say how many lessons per day, and it tells you how many reviews and level up time? Pretty close to level 14 now and just want to play around and think about changing my schedule…but just can’t remember that site lmao. Tried searching but can’t seem to find it!

do you mean wkstats maybe?

1 Like

This?

2 Likes

Ah nice one yeah that’s it! I was googling ‘Wanikani guesstimator’ lmao. Kinda close :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, kinda curious @soggyboy @mitrac , how many lessons per day do you guys do? On a good day I’ll do 15…on a lazy day I’ll pretend WK doesn’t exist lol. Judging from the Estimator, even 20 lessons/day will take two years to get to level 60, but I guess it’s not really about the levels…it’s about 上手に成っている

1 Like

I do 10 lessons a day. I started out doing 20, but then I felt like I was getting review loads that were too high. I also don’t do new lessons if I’m busy, so have definitely already had some month long levels lol. It’s a bit slow but I find more enjoyment in reading and want to have plenty of time for that.

1 Like

Yeah reading is probs more beneficial than grinding flashcards anyway. My fastest level was 19 days haha, level 1 was 515 lmao but that was just creating an account and leaving it. Been lvl 13 for about a month now…idk why I’m so slow really. Maybe I have too much free time at work and just keep thinking ‘later…’
I also get a weird mental block when I level up and just become kinda scared of lessons. My apprentice count ends up as low as 10 items or so. Oh well just ima kara ganbarimashou.

2 Likes

I do this sometimes, haha, I’m like yaaay, I leveled up! Now I get… another level…

Also, I find that reading more inspires me to study kanji and grammar, especially harder stuff like manga with no furigana. You’ll really want to do those new lessons when you’re screaming crying throwing up using the radical search on jisho haha.

3 Likes

Hahaha the radical search function absolutely sucks. Would rather just be eternally confused, I’ve never once managed to find what I’m looking for lmaoo

1 Like

I managed to get kind of(?) used to it but there are still some radicals that are really hard to recognize. Doesn’t help that WK doesn’t teach official radicals, either…

But yeah, if you’re looking for motivation, def. recommend reading and other stuff (watching japanese youtube content in your free time is fun too) to inspire you. I definitely am not a big SRS person so you’ll never see me judging for going slow on wk :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

when I was doing WK I knew a lot of the material already, so what I would do is do as many lessons as it took to get 5 new things. For whatever reason, I just take language learning in chunks of about 3-5 new things at a time. I know I can do more, and I know I learn a lot more than that from reading and the lookups I do while reading, but if I’m stuffing something in through SRS, that’s normally all I do.

Right now... (in a drop down as it's quite specific to me as I learned a lot of Japanese first, and now I'm just attaching kanji to it)

I’m doing some free form vibe based kanji learning :wink: and for that during the week if I have time I might knock out 1-3 kanji, and for each kanji then, that might lead to 1-3 words. But… these are so far kanji I can mostly already recognise, and words I’ve already come across. So I’m low balling it, but that’s all I have time for. On the weekends I try to get 5 kanji a day and be a bit more ambitious about them being kanji I can’t already recognise, but for words I already know, if that makes any sense at all.

At some point after realising I had been in this for years already… I started focusing more on my what can I do with my Japanese list, and just doing what I need to get the next step going. And I’m finding that way more motivating (and I’m going faster actually now) than when I plotted out a 2 year path to then being able to do something. Based on WK level, I think a lot of people talk about reading getting a lot easier around level 30, so that’s a much closer goal to focus on!

3 Likes

Ah thanks for the insight! Must be interesting to constantly being like ‘Ooohh this is the kanji for that word I’ve known for ages!’ haha. I get that sometimes, like today with 熱 (netsu), it feels good, kinda like you got one for free lmao. Yeah I imagine even by L20 it’ll be a lot easier than now! Been really enjoying studying recently, hope I can keep it up!

3 Likes

Lol, yes it is definitely a constant feeling like that! There are some really bizarre/surprising ones like the 実 in 木の実 (fruits and nuts) is also 真実 (truth / reality). And then some face palm ones I never noticed like 君 for きみ and くん. I mean, how did I not notice??

For me it gets easier the farther in I am because there are more natural activities like reading that don’t always feel like studying.

If you ever have an ebb, though, remember, waves are powerful forces as well! :ocean: Just keep coming back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Interestingly, my break point is 5 NEW items also… Whether that takes me 5 or 20 to accomplish…
That’s when the struggle is real :laughing:

2 Likes

How funny, I thought it was just me!

1 Like