Genghis Khan and Gandhi

I’ve been doing a lot better remembering the difference between かん and がん since I switched out the かん mnemonic for Kanye West. I think it’s because I don’t know much about Khan or Gandi so always got them mixed up. Yeezy, on the other hand is hard to confuse for anyone else…

10 Likes

Good move! :+1: When the WK vanilla mnemonics doesn’t work it is a good idea to create one’s own.

6 Likes

I had trouble with them as well, until I swapped out Khan for Khan:

7 Likes

OMG I totally feel you, I really have no clue about either of them :smiley:

I do know ENOUGH about both historical figures, BUT…

Shah Rukh Khan will always be my mine!

4 Likes

I’m genuinely surprised that there are people out there who don’t know significant historical figures!

But (as we say on Memrise), 人それぞれですよね。

13 Likes

Who’s Kanye West?

11 Likes

Kim Kardashian’s husband. I think he also sings or something.

2 Likes

If it will be of any use (but you’ve switched already…) for me Khan is an ultimate mongolian warlord, master of bushcraft who lurks in forests and always annoys turkeys. Also at some point of time he gains a crown (冠), but he may relinquish it later.
Gandhi is an ultimate monk who has that iconic bald head with robes. He usually stays near sea on the cliffs to pray.

5 Likes

I sometimes switch up Ghandi and Genji. Though I’ve got a pretty clear picture of each one of them in my head.

Ghandi is also pretty stubborn and and has good eyeballs.

2 Likes

For me Genji worked very well, just as WK presented him. He is an oldest being of Japan (Tale of Genji). He is an embodiment of 元, of an origin and beggining. He is extremely old. But he has some habit of appearing out of nowhere, cutting things with his katana, giving off tickets and participating in gladiator fights.
Later I had to but another cutting boy (はん) on board of some ship (he is spending some time on different boards), because he has those cutting habits also and thus causes some interference.

Didn’t notice that up until now. Yes, it is true.

1 Like

Who is Kim Kardashian??? :rofl:

6 Likes

Great idea! I personally sometimes confuse the Shogun and Khan since I know nothing about them. Especially in level 16/17 where there are a lot of mnemonics using them.
I’ll definitely adopt Kanye West :smiley:

1 Like

I think it’s this guy(カーダシアン)'s imouto:

Guldukat

Edit: I wasn’t planning on making Star Trek references in two comments, but…

4 Likes

My Genji will always be this bad boy

I have also never had a Cyborg (さい), Saiki K is much more suited to judge and cut extreme geniuses

4 Likes

Most cultured people who played Civilization would remember the bloodthirsty Gandi who would start a nuclear world war as soon as he unlocks the tech.

9 Likes

Nuclear Ghandi is classic. It was a boundary control bug where his aggression level was 0 but if you lowered it then it flipped over to 255.

1 Like

According to Sid Meier’s memoir it wasn’t a bug, just a matter of perception. Gandhi firing nukes is funny regardless of how often he does it. And his threats were a part of his peacekeeping strategy.

2 Likes

I can’t believe some people don’t know who Genghis Khandashian and Gandhi West are.

Sad day for humanity.

3 Likes

Mixing up Genghis Khan and Mahatma Gandhi is like mixing up fire and ice :sweat_smile:

One was a bloody dictator, conquerer and oppressor.
The other was a man of peace who advocated nonviolent resistance against oppression and nearly won a Nobel Prize for Peace…

P. S. Anyway, welcome to WaniKani, I really hope you’d like it here!

3 Likes