Garden Appreciation Thread

We haz mice! When I went to bed last night, there were four figs on the counter, and now there is just this one:

4 Likes

You apparently were a victim of the mysterious fig collecting gnomes!

2 Likes

I caught him in the bathroom. The figs did their work.

I felt bad to interrupt him while he was doing his reviews though, so I left him alone.

6 Likes

I wish you lived in my city. I have a very productive fig tree, but I hate them (so much!!). My mom can’t eat them all and I can’t give them all away so literally hundreds of them go to waste each year. I prune the tree back to try and control it, but it just makes it worse. The squirrels are fat and happy at least (someone else has a pecan tree and there are dozens of 80 year old oaks too on my street). I don’t want to get rid of the tree though since my mom loves figs and these are of exceptional quality I’m told.

3 Likes

Some more flower pics! ^^

This is a rather invasive species. You can now commonly find them in the wild. I find them pretty.

5 Likes

took a few pics at my friend’s as the garden is slowly running out of stuff to harvest. i did eat a few things along the way hehe.

she also just got an allotment because her partner decided to take over during confinement and she fel a bit chased out. aaawww.

am standing right at the entrance here. there are hip height grassy banks on either side

the brown pile here is sea weed. once good and rinsed, it’ll be used to enrich.

pumpkin’s almost ready and a few late beans left

am at the back now so you can see another bed and the shed, coal shed and house at the back.

one of the last one: ofr meow!

to the right, there’s another gap and you can see the sheltered polytunnel.

my partner and middle kitten looking all active and sporty there lol!

welcome to the tunnel

it looks less busy now…

pickles, squash, strawberries and the last tomatoes…

bonus pics because i just love the place:

the shed

so they are getting electricity from a turbine but they store some and have a back up generator as well. the water comes from a stream and is really orange but delicious.

they don’t use much electricity because they have a range oven. the coal is kept here

dunno why but i find this really pretty

time for a new delivery!

the range and drying rack

there are also two huts, one against the “cliff” but i have not taken pics and a big one at the bottom

it’s such a fabulous place! own postcode, and so unique.

7 Likes

Pretty great place!

2 Likes

right?!

a couple more then…

that’s the entrance on the left

bathroom

5 cats live there and it’s common for one to appear at the window and claim your lap when you’re on the “throne”!

the outside

I should take more pics… I have the whole thing under the snow somewhere. it gets really snowed under there.

4 Likes

Hey, I see a Hawk GT! Neato bike, waaay before its time :grin:

Didn’t mean to put the garden on the back burner (it’s lovely), but my prior life were moto-centric :wink:

5 Likes

I myself was going to ask if the motorcycle was used as a rototiller. The ロトモト.
But the whole place is magical and mysterious.
And spiders. :spider:

3 Likes

We don’t have anything like that here.
We have our own mysterious, borderline-spooky natures…

No NT650s here, unfortunately – in pukka ロトモト-spec, or boring old 普通モト-spec :disappointed:

3 Likes

Did no one in Hawaii build with stone or coral in olden days? Are the any stone remains at all? Terraced hills?
Or does it all just wash away in lava flows? :curious:

3 Likes

Just yesterday a lava flow washed away the last one…

We live on donations now from La Palma residents, on a Walmart parking lot the size of the entire island :truth:

Dammit, Walmart… too soon :-1:

3 Likes

they always seem to get their hands on amazing second hand everything in that household.

sadly, the motorbike was one of the (many many) kids of the house but he’s had health issues preventing him from keeping a driver’s license (not safe to drive). not sure what’s going on with the bike now.

it sure is. somehow even a big pile of dirty wellies turns into a work of art at that place!

garden thread demands garden pics. this is our allotment recently. our 3+ week trip to france was quite costly in terms of plant health. lost the entirety of the potato crop… no grapes either. severe trimming needed for next year.

the hops at the back took the freedom to go beyond the compost and fence lol

lotsa vine leaves but no fruit. we had so much last year.

rasp forest was too dense for fruits as well.

considering the number of plants, we got very few berries. a few kilos of that.

tomcat is going there today. it’s tidier already

and overtaken with courgettes lol…

hope we get some pumpkins

6 Likes

Ah, that’s heartbreaking.
If he loved to ride anywhere as mad as I did (became a mechanic and raced them as well), that’s a kick in the stomach I’m sure…
Well, if they were willing, there’s always selling it – NT650s are quite a rare bird on the racetrack, always a racer or collector looking for one.

But back on topic… I’d give a little toe for a garden like that, just lovely.
Here anything similar would live above 4000 ft / 1219m, and certainly no stone structures as those (lots of polytunnels tho natch) :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

A surprise gift from the garden. I didn’t do much Fall planting this year.

… but I still found a stash of Rutabagas, parsnips, and carrots while I was cleaning up the garden today.
Soups on. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Two gifts from the garden.
Mixed berries, frozen in June.
Yellow squash, frozen soon later.

This makes all the work I did last summer worth it.
This is what motivates me for next year’s season.

10 Likes

yum!
we’re still eating gooseberry jam here!

gonna start sowing some of my seeds indoors very soon.
exciting!

5 Likes

I will start seeds in mid-二月(にがつ). I started too early last year.
It took me about six weeks of eating frozen berries (maybe 200ml?) each day to finish all of them. There are still maybe six jars of Huckleberry jam left, out of about 50, but we gave lots away.

5 Likes

goodness!
and there i was proud with my 8kg!
we eat all the berries fresh except gooseberries and blackberries that we split between fresh and cooked.

here in the north east of the UK, we have to start seeds early.

6 Likes