ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 11 🧹

Volume 11 Discussion Thread

Start Date: July 2nd
Previous: Volume 10

ふらいんぐうぃっち Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Reading Schedule

Start Date              Chapter                                             Page Numbers   Page Count
July 2nd 62 - 自由研究、目指すは宇宙 3 – 30 27
July 9th 63 - 穴を開け、骨を施す 31 – 62 32
July 16 64 - 衣使いの魔女 63 – 88 25
July 23 65 - 乗り遅れにはご注意を 89 – 124 35
July 30 66 - 凄腕マジシャンシスターズ 125 – 144 20
August 6 67 - 七不思議な社会科見学 145 – 173 28

Participants

There will be participation polls throughout this discussion thread as we reach each chapter :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

As per the home thread, it looks like we’re set to start on July 2nd.

That means I get to reuse this:

image934

Did you know that if we stretched each chapter out across two months, we’d finish just about in time to start the next volume?

5 Likes

It’s that time of the year again!

Chapter 62 - 自由研究、目指すは宇宙

2022-07-01T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’m not reading along

0 voters

7 Likes

Feels great getting back to this lovable bunch. I’m so happy that this volume starts of with some characters that did not get whole lot of time last volume.

Hamabe Space Program?

5 Likes

Anyone familiar with the ず on page seven, last panel, first word balloon?

The closest I can find is this bit from Wikipedia that makes it look to me like んず is the same as の.

I was specifically looking for results on ず and tsugaru-ben in case it might be a dialect, but it’s possible that it’s not.

The only other instance of んず I’m able to find is back in volume 1:

But I have no idea how to parse this, so I don’t know if it’s the same んず or a different んず!

2 Likes
Most likely wrong, keeping this for reference

Not sure about the earlier occurrence, but the one from the current volume seems to be a sound shift from the auxiliary verb むず (intending to) [1][2]

On second thought I’m not as confident anymore because I could not find the dictionary form verb + んず anywhere. Leaving this up anyways, maybe someone has further ideas.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s の. seems to make the most sense here…it is a bit odd though since kei normally doesn’t use it :thinking:

also feels great reading something I don’t need a dictionary for :rofl:

2 Likes

I thought it was just a form of the colloquial sentence ending っす which I assume (though I never looked it up) is just a shortened です. Makes sense to me that it would be easier to say ず instead of っす after ん

4 Likes

but he’s talking to 千夏/thinking out loud. there’s no reason for him to use です

in fact he doesn’t use polite language even when he talks to 犬養 (except that one joking 光栄っす)

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, since we’re seeing 〜るんず here, I checked for 〜るんす. Here are my results:

Volume 3 (Akane)

Volume 5 (Kei)

Volume 8 (Kei)

But I’m none the wiser.

3 Likes

It’s not polite, it’s a colloquial expression

3 Likes

it’s kinda in between isn’t it? I learnt the whole っす thing as for when you’re on well enough terms that です would be distant but in a relationship where you still need some form of politeness (like a boss you get on really well with or something)

2 Likes

The main character in 「俺物語!!」 uses っす a lot (often rendered as っス), and I do believe his usage is consistent with your understanding.

That’s not to say it can’t be used otherwise, just noting that I’ve definitely seen it used that way a lot in this one series.

I think I’m going to have to file Kei’s ず under “unsolved mysteries” for now.

1 Like

I’M SO HAPPY HAMABE IS BACK sdhfldslfsdklfhsdhflshdfsjkhfksdkjhfksjdhs my favorite bunny creature :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
What a great way to start off the volume :joy: I enjoyed this chapter a lot. I laughed at Chinatsu for thinking that the bottle rocket would go into space but then it actually went into space :rofl:

6 Likes

Finally got around to read it, great chapter!! :grin:

4 Likes

Chapter 63 - 穴を開け、骨を施す

2022-07-08T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’m not reading along

0 voters

4 Likes

that page 43-45 hit hard :rofl: I love how easy going the kuramoto’s are (throughout the series)

makoto really stepped up this time. feels like it might be the first time she’s properly stepped up and taken control of a situation which is nice

2 Likes

Me looking at this thread but haven’t started volume 7 yet:

6 Likes

Chito’s tiny paw :joy: This is my favorite

8 Likes

Fun chapter :smiley:

poor makoto :sweat_smile:

4 Likes