Funny examples?

I just started WaniKani (it’s been about a week or two) and I keep coming across funny example sentences like this.

Share the ones you’ve come across!

Edit: This has turned into a thread of my commentary on Context Sentences. I’ve seen in a lot of threads that a lot of you don’t read the Context Sentences, which was a bit of a shock for me, because for me they’re the most fun part about doing new vocab lessons! I’ve also gained tons of knowledge about the usage of words, especially irregular usages of some words.
Since I started this thread somewhere in the middle of level 2/3, I’ll go back at some point and revisit the earlier ones I missed and add them here maybe.

18 Likes

Think the funniest part of that sentence is the thought of using “feet” in Japanese…

25 Likes

I know. Everyone knows you use ロッド or ファーロング.

5 Likes

That was genius right there. But seriously, let’s face it, there’s no point in the Imperial system… it only causes confusion…

8 Likes

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!

19 Likes

how many football fields is that again?

3 Likes

Not an example sentence but man this mnemonic for the ‘origin’ radical had me thinking about this for a long time

10 Likes

Fun fact, 40 rods/hogshead is equivalent to 0.002 miles per gallon, or about ten and a half feet per gallon.

Or in metric, 1185 litres per kilometre.

7 Likes

But that’s the way he likes it, so deal with it!

1 Like

I’m just saying, I think I’ve worked out who’s responsible for climate change.

7 Likes

Capture d’écran 2018-05-17 à 07.24.50
My favourite one :joy:

17 Likes

I don’t know, but I sure would like to find out

7 Likes

When you beat your friends to yo mama jokes and say it yourself

8 Likes

Kim’s at it again

10 Likes

It all started when Mr. Weasley’s car went to Hogsmead. Normally, even wizards would be surprised if a car walked in a bar, but in Hog’s head bar there are all sorts of strange people, so nobody usually pays much attention. The car went to the counter and honked. The barmen of the Hog’s head realized that it wanted forty rods.
Since then, other enchanted cars started visiting Hog’s head too.

4 Likes

自分のウンコを食べてみて、それがすっごい苦かったんだけど、どうして苦いのかって先生に尋ねてみたら、「胆汁酸がいっぱい含まれてるから苦いんだよ」って教えてくれたよ。
I told my teacher I ate my own poop and that it was very bitter so I asked him why that was. He told me our poop contains a lot of bile acid and that’s why it’s very bitter.

From the examples of 尋ねる

Very relatable sentence.

6 Likes

@athomasm Do you mix in water with your fuel?

1 Like

Armed robbery at the bamboo store

6 Likes

This is actually brilliant

13 Likes

Someone likes insects

4 Likes