Fundamental SRS flaw

Here is an idea, don’t write down the wrong answers. Do them as fast as you can, and if you feel like you don’t know the answer don’t just stand there trying to remember, write a random answer and check what the right answer would have been. If the answer is on the tip of your tongue, okay, take a sec to try and remember, but if it’s not, don’t. Take a very quick moment to look at and make a short mnemonic for the correct answer and move on.

2 Likes

I’m not sure this is a good idea. The way to commit to longterm memory is to try to remember on your own even if it takes a while of thinking.

The objective of this game is not to finish as fast as possible, but to learn Japanese.

1 Like

You are looking at the “finish as fast as possible” idea wrong. If I get items wrong, it will take me longer to complete a level. That’s not “going as fast as possible”. Being obsessed with getting everything right is “going as fast as possible”. If the answer isn’t more or less automatic (with a little leeway for “wait, I know this… hum…”), then I don’t know it. If you want to do slow study, go ahead, but it’s probably best to do it with things other than wanikani and you shouldn’t complain it takes too long.

You get an answer wrong, you notice what the right answer would have been but it’s kind of alien and hard to fix in your head. The next day you still don’t know it but it looks more familiar. Then boom, you actually know it.

3 Likes

If you’re constantly feeling demoralized while learning another language, that’s a surefire way to create burnout and giving up. These are just my thoughts, but try putting that process of writing down every single answer you get wrong on hold for just a day or two. Then see if it feels better and if it does, then you’ve created a better path towards learning the language in the long run. Think back to why you decided to learn Japanese in the first place and if working in a Japanese business setting isn’t one of them, then there is no real benefit to putting your time and effort into writing. It is more important to get exposure to the language rather becoming fixated on memorizing everything. It will make the entire process even more enjoyable. Think back to your native tongue and how when you were a kid learning the language, there was no stress over memorizing specific parts and words (aside from school vocab tests). A person who has really helped me to relax when it comes to language learning is a polyglot named Steve Kaufman who has a channel on YouTube. I would highly suggest checking his videos out because using his philosophy really makes learning more enjoyable.

1 Like

Hmm… to be honest I get kind of bummed out if I don’t have many reviews waiting for me! Sometimes I’m waiting and waiting for the reviews to come back so I can test myself again and see if I remember them or not and I can advance. 60 reviews waiting when you wake up is pretty good, it will get a lot more rough in the later levels so I also think you should just slow down a bit if you feel it’s too much. The other day after work I had 100+ reviews waiting, then 2 hours later I had another 100, then 20mins after that study I had 60 and then 80 waiting for me. xD Tough day. But you’re not “waking up at the bottom of the mountain” you’re just waking up wth more steps ahead of you that you can climb!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.