Fun Kanji, New Kanji, Non WK kanji

I didn’t remember these, nice :+1:

They certainly become easy to remember readings if you can infer the logic.

2 Likes

Would my idea of 茸 theoretically being 木の子 be a valid addition to your list?
:smiley:

I don’t think it’s ever written like that though.

2 Likes

According to my dictionary, yes :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, nice one, I remember thinking the same thing the first time I heard this word.

2 Likes

We should make a separate thread to collect these! :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh, yay! I remember I was pretty disappointed when I first looked it up on jisho and only found茸, so finding this out is nice.

3 Likes

If you ever make a thread like that, could you @ me, so I can find it easily? I’d definitely be interested in seeing one.

I also came across 嘴 (くちばし), which means beak, and I think it might be fair to think about that coming from 口箸? A beak is basically mouth-chopsticks, right?
XD

3 Likes

That would be great, but it appears to have come from 口端, actually :joy:

2 Likes

That works just as well though! And now it makes for a good pun. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Aww, that’s too bad! Though 端 makes sense too.

By the way, what’s the resource you use to find out the actual origins of Japanese words?

1 Like

My dictionary shows these things for a lot of words:

If you’re interested, it’s the デジタル大辞泉, I bought it on the Microsoft Store. Really good dictionary if you ask me, it’s always my first option for looking up anything :wink:

Actually, I also posted another print of it for 茸 just a few posts ago, I just realized

5 Likes

It has a single review, giving it 5 stars. Was that you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Serious question, does it have pitch accent information?

2 Likes

I might just give it another 5 star review :wink:

Sadly, no. It doesn’t bother me because I don’t mind that too much, but it is probably the biggest con for those who do. I believe the スーパー大辞林 does have that information, though.

2 Likes

Today’s kanji so far:

冴える (さえる):

1. to be clear (of a sight, sound, colour, etc.); to be bright; to be vivid; to be crisp​
  2. to be clear-headed; to be alert; to be on the ball; to be wide awake​

逞しい (たくましい):

1. Brawny, strong.
  2. Indomitable, strong-willed
  3. robust (vitality, appetite, economic growth, etc)

綴じる (とじる):

1. to file, to put something in (a folder, file etc).

蕾 (つぼみ):

1. flower bud.
3 Likes

Ooh! I’ve been keeping a notebook full of particularly challenging and interesting words I’ve come across. At over 35 pages now and endeavouring to fill the entire thing. Most of them are compound words though but lemme see if I can find anything cool. I’m not entirely sure if any of these are covered by WK in the later levels as I’m not currently subscribed to be able to check.

篤い(あつい)- is an alternate spelling of 厚い but specific for talking about serious illness

跋扈(ばっこ)- I’m kinda having trouble thinking of an adequate English definition for this one but I found the second character rather interesting. I’ll just link the goo definition. It’s like someone swaggering in and selfishly taking over?

縞(しま)- stripe
燻べる(くすべる)- to fumigate

3 Likes

None of these are, actually :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, I haven’t seen 燻べる, but I can never remember how to read 燻ぶる when it comes up. Maybe now I will.

1 Like

秤 (はかり) - scale, weighing machine​ :balance_scale:

1 Like

些細 (ささい) - trivial

Such a good word :nerd_face: and that first kanji is :ok_hand:

1 Like

Those of us in Africa should steal this one for local use. It would make a great logo for potjiekos events.

鸚鵡返おうむがえし: parroting back; repeating (something one was told) like a parrot​

By the way, 鸚鵡おうむ means parrot, which is why this word makes sense. I just really like this kanji combination, it stands out a lot.

3 Likes

Am I too late to the party? Found this while playing Final Fantasy XIV
蛮 (ばん) barbarian
Used in 蛮族, one of the main antagonists in the game, who often try to summon their 蛮神 into the world.

2 Likes