Fun Kanji, New Kanji, Non WK kanji

ALL THE ANIMAL KANJI!

I just watched ももへ手紙 and learned 猪(いのしし)Boar. For such scary pigs they have such cute names.

Currently reading ペンギン・ハイウェイ and learned 鴨の嘴. かものはし Platypus

I also learned 狼. おおかみ Wolf

And, literally right now, after having a conversation with my coworker about different animals I was made aware of this gem: 狸 たぬき Tanuki and even better 海狸 かいり which is literally Water Tanuki. What’s a water tanuki? A beaver! So freaking adorable. Too bad ビーバ is more common.

Ah, well, yes it’s a very common word. But as I said, when common words have difficult kanji, often they just get left out. So you see 石けん often (though 石鹸 is not uncommon).

The most common word for prescription is しょほうせん, and in full kanji it’s 処方箋, but the last kanji there only became a joyo kanji in the most recent joyo update like 10 years ago, so for tons of old people it’s one they never studied in mandatory education. So you see lots of signs like this

うがい – gargling, rinsing one’s mouth

You’re lacking (欠) mouthwash so you mix a bundle (束) of mint gum with water and put it in your mouth (口) – you now have your own DIY mouthwash, time to gargle!

BUT THEN, a masked intruder bursts into your home and steals your homemade mouthwash, leaving a note behind with only “う” written on it – you’ve been visited by う-guy (うがい), and that’s all I’ve got for now, goodbye

I learned 閂 (かんぬき) a few months ago and thought it was really awesome. Reading aside, it’s really easy to guess what this one means in context. I mean, just compare these two :joy:

Here’s a new one. Really obscure, but pretty easy to remember.

Thank you @ReJi00 for the inspiration, lol

Nice! Lol happy to help :rofl:

You… you liar! I trusted you! I bought the book just to check it out!

Maybe we just own different versions, though mine still has very little furigana :sweat_smile:

We don’t have the same version, as you have two, err, columns? lines? per page, and I don’t.

That being said, I now have a doubt. I’ll check tonight.

Well, I remembered wrong. Or maybe it appears again without furigana later?

I guess you bought the book for nothing, then, sorry :cry:

That’s what I thought too, I can easily imagine this word showing up again in the last page without it because we “already know how to read it from the first pages”.

Well, しょうがないな. I guess I’ll just read it then…

吠 in える - to bark

I love that the kanji is made up of dog + mouth for this :upside_down_face: what a ほ :dog:

:rofl:

I really like 或は(あるいは, means “or”)!

I’m reading An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese (Genki followup book), and I encounter non-WK kanji right there in the list of vocab items to learn.

For example:
Chapter 7: 古稀 - 70th birthday (稀) (frankly this one is not in the vocab list, but is used in dialog 1)
Chapter 8: 姪 - niece (姪)
Chapter 9: 親戚 - relative (戚)
Chapter 10: 阿蘇山 - Mt. Aso (蘇)
Chapter 11: 口喧しい - critical (喧)
Chapter 12: 手馴れた - familiar (馴)
Chapter 12: 萎縮する - to be dispirited (萎)
Chapter 12: 毅然として - boldly, firmly (毅)
Chapter 14: 破綻する - to break up (綻)
Chapter 14: 同棲 - living together (棲)
I haven’t yet reach chapter 15…

Don’t forget the tree whose wood is used to make nice little boxes:

きり Paulownia tomentosa​

石敢當 Ubiquitous here in Okinawa! Everywhere I turn walking or driving you cannot help but encountering these talismans!

Two new additions!
麓ーふもとーbase, bottom
囮ーおとりーlure, decoy

臍 (へそ) - belly button

\o/

驢馬 is donkey. And since I learned it while I was reading Winnie The Pooh, I will always picture Eeyore when I see it. (And I’ll be just as depressed if I ever have to write it.)

Yeah, 兎馬 is better.
I mean, it’s literally “rabbit horse”!