From a pure meaning perspective is Chinese Hanji and Japanese Kanji same

Don’t use them? I don’t use mnemonics at all, and never have.

1 Like

Typically I ignore his mnemonics. Easiest way I find to remember the reading of a kanji is if I already know a word which uses that kanji. For example, when I’m learning 博, since I already know that はくぶつかん means “museum”, all I need to remember is that the はく is 博, and therefore that 博 is read as はく.

If I can’t come up with any words that use the kanji, only then do I turn to Koichi’s mnemonic, and usually only then as a framework to come up with my own - usually, the best mnemonics are the ones you think of yourself. I like my mnemonics to directly relate the components to the meaning, but Koichi seems to like a few degrees of separation.

Lemme give an example of this, and I hope it makes sense: his mnemonic for 漏 (leak) is “A tsunami rips a flag off your house in the rain, causing a leak where it was ripped out. The rain and the tsunami combined just tore the flag right off your house. The force was so strong that it actually removed part of the wall, and now you have a leak in your home.” Trouble is, he’s inserted an extra step to remember - that there’s a house involved, and it’s raining on the house. The order of the components already suggest a more obvious mnemonic which uses only the components: a tsunami hits a flag, and it leaks through like rain. Easy. And easy to picture.

2 Likes

So just try repetition? 上 means up, above and konyomi is うえ. Like this? So basically like Anki?

Do you add the mnemonics in Anki or just keep in your head?

In my head, which is sorta the point. I don’t use Anki.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I started adding my own mnemonics for the things that were harder for me and it looks like it is helping me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.