Frick Level 14

I got human nature down at some point, but heart’s desire is still bouncing between guru and apprentice for me.
Same with humanity and instinct. These are one of the hardest for me to remember.

1 Like

don’t listen to them.

1 Like

Not trying to discourage them, just preparing them for what’s to come. In that case which you rather hear. Someone saying a task is going to be easy and it turns out to be difficult or expecting Mount Everest and getting a regular mountain.

I wasn’t referring to your advice (or specifically anyone else’s), it’s just when he commented like he was about to take on something unappealing, maybe if you didn’t have those expectations of difficulty, maybe you wouldn’t notice? :thinking:

You tend to notice unconsciously or consciously the difficulty of something regardless of outside opinions. Thinking something is hard can demotivate however, and a lack of motivation can make something more difficult and time consuming (procrastination) than elsewise. That is what I believe you may be getting at.

In which case, the best thing to do is just get motivation from elsewhere. Like, despite how difficult the words are getting you can still read X manga fairly easily. “I have my entire life to get to my intended goal. I just have to do a little a day to reach it. Look at all the stuff I can do in the meanwhile while I wait for the daily task to pile up results.” Etc.

1 Like

Well, I’m certainly glad to know that it gets a bit harder, but that it doesn’t stay uniformly hard. I’ll try to improve my study methods when I get to Level 14, but it won’t make me panic, since others have said that I can’t assume that this means everything will be hard after this—which is something I could easily have assumed, without this conversation.

念願 and 人情 are two of my biggest leeches (currently sitting at apprentice 4 and guru 1, respectively), so you are definitely not alone.

2 Likes

Been there dude. Still struggling with em and almost lvl 20.
a huge pain in the ash.
It’s really counter-productive how some levels have like 5 kanjis for the same concept.
If it’s on purpose, then I’m really missing the point of making it harder.
And if it’s not, then >_>
On a side note : Although I’m an old supporter of WK I’d like to point that some mnemonics are really confusing (and repetitive). It really gets in the way of progress

1 Like

Doing WK is like climbing a mountain. Sure, the higher levels are harder, but that doesn’t mean that the climber needs to be worried about them now.

Focus on what you have at hand right now. It will become harder, but now is the moment where you can improve your learning, so that you’re able to handle what has yet to come.

10 Likes

Legitimately my exact thinking. High Five

Yup. The only way to do something as large is to set up a daily goal, keep doing that goal, then have it in the background while you continue with your life. Only real way people succeed here.

7 Likes

GUYS

I SEE IT

THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

10 Likes

PSYCHE, it was actually the lights from another tunnel.

6 Likes

5 Likes

45 tunnels left. 頑張って👍

4 Likes

This level is definitely going to be interesting thanks to you. Perhaps it’ll be relatively easy because my guard is so up…

don’t be discouraged! level 15 and 16 get substantially easier. you can do it!

2 Likes

Okay, I started level 14 yesterday. Others may feel differently, but I really am glad to have been warned that this level is tougher than others. It means that I’ll focus harder as I study. It means that I’ll be determined that this level won’t get me down!

We’ll see how I feel in a couple of weeks!

2 Likes

Ok, I arrived to level 14 again just 4 years later from last time… https://community.wanikani.com/t/level-14/582/83?u=mig29x

My WK life is very circular 周
anybody else in similar predicament? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here I am, still at the very beginning of level 14, because all of a sudden I am having reviews from previous levels that are sinking me. I’ve done the radicals of 14, but I can’t do much else, because I only do lessons to take me up to 100 apprentice items, and right now I’m at 110 because of errors from previous levels.

At this rate it this will take a while!

3 Likes

My take on Level 14 now that I’m pretty far into Level 15 is that although yes, there are a few extra confusing words in Level 14, it really wasn’t that bad—although I don’t know how it would have felt if I hadn’t been warned, and taken extra care!

It looks like Level 15 will be one of my slowest levels to complete, though not out of line with what’s been happening lately. But I don’t think that the Level 14 vocabulary is to blame very much there; instead, it’s because I had a lot of earlier vocabulary re-appearing that was more challenging to me. I forgot a lot of those and had to re-learn.

One way or the other, though, we’re all continuing our reviews—which means that we’re all making progress!

2 Likes