Forum regular status requirements

The only big thread I follow from Campfire is the poll thread (and I skip at least 50%). I never check the gifs’ ones.

So I would guess you guys are almost there in terms of getting the regular status. No need to go crazy.

1 Like

Well there are other requirements too, but I get your point.

Skipping 50% of 10,000 posts still leaves a lot of posts. :slight_smile:

Another alternative would be some changes from the discourse side, like also capping the number of posts a single thread can contribute to a total to something like 100/200, instead of having 95% of forum activity in a single thread.

2 Likes

On the whole forums we get about 89,000 posts in 100 days. 25% of that is indeed over 20,000.

Looking at #japanese-language it does not seem to get 20,000 posts in 100 days.
It gets 32 new threads a week. Lets say each of those threads gets 10 replies, then that’s 4500 posts in 100 days. Looking at the threads with over 500 replies (of which there are 10) they have had a cumulative of 3200 posts in the last 100 days. There are another 22 threads with more than 100 posts, but even if these were all new and got 499 posts each in the last 100 days that would not be enough. Reading only the new and the 10 currently longest threads would land you at about 8000 posts.

That said you don’t have to read the most active threads in Campfire to be a regular. I stay away from the Poll thread unless someone mentions me, and I’m still a regular.

9 Likes

I’ve only muted maybe 5 to 10 high-traffic threads, but managed to stay a Regular by always opening new threads and just scrolling to the bottom if they weren’t interesting, without actually reading them (other than the top-post, so I know what I’m skipping).

I didn’t set out to do this as a strategy for keeping Regular status, which I rarely use anyway, but it has that effect.

7 Likes

A poll thread scroller is definitely a prime example for “first world problem” solutions :smiley: .

12 Likes

Maybe @CyrusS can chime in at this point. Is 20,000 the actual number used on our forums? If not what is it?

I feel like given how the Campfire section is used on our forums, we need something to change so that people who just focus on the WaniKani and Japanese Language sections can still become regulars. Is it possible with Discourse to make the requirements more fine grained across different sections? If not, perhaps changing the posts read threshold to something like 5,000 would make sense.

1 Like

@Kumirei Where’d you get those stats from?

https://community.wanikani.com/about

1 Like

Campfire has other threads beyond that one?

3 Likes

Well, to be precise, there are 3 poll threads already (although the first two are now closed, but they were closed less than 100 days ago so those posts still count towards total number of posts required for regular).

I knooow! It’s surreal, isn’t it? :eyes:

1 Like

I go through every thread and just click to the bottom. If you click the time at the bottom of the bar on the right side of the thread you can jump to the most recent post. I’m not sure if that marks the whole thread as read or not, though. I scroll through plenty of threads so that probably fulfills the requirement for me.

I think that would only count as reading the last post.

Just went and scrolled up the poll thread to see and there were indeed a bunch of unread posts. I always scroll through shorter threads and only skip to the bottom of long ones like the poll thread because scrolling through hundreds of posts would be a pain.

Do you just have fun scrolling? :stuck_out_tongue:
Or are you trying to mark the threads as read? :slight_smile:

I like keeping the threads marked read for some reason. That’s the top of the latest page.

6 Likes

50% online of days. thats crazy. i mean i use wanikani daily but community.wanikani is such a major distraction i block it to not get distracted lol

2 Likes

Hi Borx, do you mind looking at my topic as well and also sending lots of cute borx’s owned gifs?

1 Like

I just used yours to show the difference between unread and read threads.

1 Like