Forecasting Reviews on Preview (or Previewing Review Forecasts)

I can’t say I’m a fan of the illustrated buttons. They are quite big, and it also feels a bit weird to me the have illustrations there, but the rest of the page all boxes and numbers.

The forecast reviews look like they could be useful.

3 Likes

To add to the chorus - I like it in a general sense, but I dislike (a) the weird empty space next to the buttons / strange offset from the search bar - though I wouldn’t want it to get cluttered, and (b) the “list” nature of the forecast rather than it acting like a graph.

I would prefer very light grid lines, but most importantly I don’t want X hour to be left out just because I don’t have any reviews then. It’s much harder to get a sense of the review spread across the day if some hours aren’t included.

I think having a horizontal rather than a vertical forecast would be much easier for a user to look at (and you could see a broader span of time in one go), while also helping to de-clutter the overall view. Moving to a column format for part of the page has made it feel very information-dense, and it’s a bit overwhelming.

Also, I really think it would be worth retiring the ‘new unlocks’, ‘critical condition items’ etc. columns at this point. I just… don’t think they provide much value? And you’re now adding more information to the page which is more useful.

Oh! One more thing (channelling Jackie Chan’s uncle here) - I dislike that the cumulative total on the forecast isn’t reset each day. I get that it’s telling you the number if you don’t do any reviews, but it’s again just less useful information than seeing the daily total at a glance.

2 Likes

Agreed. I even have a userstyle solely for removing those panels, and it has 2600 installs

8 Likes

I’m always confused why people would choose to install a userstyle to remove something when a simple block element on uBlock Origin will suffice…

251446983644938240 I think it’s easier to have it confined in a style which can easily be toggled

2 Likes

Definitely agree. New items? I know I’ve just done those. Critical items? Most/All of those are new items that I failed a couple times. Burned items? I mean, why, I know I’ve burned stuff, so what’s the point ?

3 Likes

I find the review forecasting really cool but the weird space around here is not good to my eyes (also the change from the little buttons to huge ones is troubling)

1 Like

They are not 100% done with the new layout. That empty space is reserved for a live 24-hour surveillance camera feed of Tofugu headquarters.

18 Likes

want

5 Likes

Cool, I’m looking forward to it now, make it happen

3 Likes

Nice!

I see most people who’ve commented really hate the big lessons/review buttons – but personally I love them (mobile and desktop), and think they’ll be even better when the real illustrations go in place. They’re easy to see and easy to click. I assume the gap to the right on desktop will be filled with something else…

I like the idea of the built-in review forecast – but in its current state it’s a bit hard to use. It feels like we’re looking directly at a detailed hourly view, which is useful, but I would also find it helpful to have an evenly spaced overview version by default, that would allow me to drill down into the hourly details on click or something. Daily totals would also be helpful, as well as what kind of reviews they are (radicals, kanji, vocab), so that I can mentally prepare myself (I try much harder on radicals and kanji).

I agree with the suggestion to kill off the new unlocks and burns blocks near the bottom – but I do like the critical items to see what I’m mostly terrible at.

One last thing – could we get rid of the “Signed in successfully.” banner? It’s not helpful and I really don’t like having notification banners on things that are obvious (if I’m looking at my dashboard, I’ve signed in successfully).

P.S. I’m probably just dumb, and I assume it’s mostly for visual coherence, but using the same colours on the Apprentice/Guru/Enlightened blocks always trips me up, because I associate those colours with kanji/vocab/radicals.

4 Likes

First thoughts:
I like the general idea of it, this type of functionality makes it soooo much more easy to schedule your reviews effectively.

That being said, I don’t like the current implementation.

With Ultimate Timeline, I can see at a glance WHEN the reviews come in - for example I can see that today it might make sense to do a session at 4 or 5pm, and then another at 10 or 11pm, and then tomorrow morning 8am would be a good time.

Here this is much more difficult to see at a glance, as reviews that are 5 hours apart get the same spacing as reviews that are 1 hour apart.

2 Likes

As a light script user, and as someone who has used and stopped using Ultimate Timeline because I was too overwhelmed by the amount of data I could access with it, this forecast is right up my alley. I can look at quick totals, hide scary hour-by-hour breakdowns, and I don’t get stressed by seeing what reviews are from my current level and what’s a burn item (I know those are an easy toggle but when you have the option, I’m too tempted not to use it).

The review and lesson item buttons are massive on the mobile site (haven’t checked out the desktop site yet), but I’m not mad. I was just talking to a friend last week who was “stuck on level 1” because she forgot about the lessons button.

4 Likes

I’ve started using Ultimate Timeline afew months ago and now I can’t look back.

So far the new Review Forecast looks much less useful. I really appreciate that Ultimate timeline looks like a calendar and shows all 24 hours. It makes easy to see the review batches and decide when to do them.

Also, the current level item marker are very important for me! This way I know which batch I have to review on time to maintain my leveling speed.

And the split by item type is also quite useful. Ideally I want to know when current level radical and kanji reviews are coming.

4 Likes

there should be kittens 24/7

ahem, forecasting stuff is fine.

4 Likes

Layout on mobile is beautiful, no empty spaces like desktop users are seeing. Maybe they’re using a mobile-first approach?

My opinions, for what they’re worth:

PROS

• LOVE :heart_eyes: the updated order to the information displayed: first lessons/reviews, then level progress, then timeline, then totals, recents, critical, etc.
  • I think I like the idea of illustrations for lessons/reviews too. Might be a tad overkill, but conveying info via images is almost always preferable to text imo.
  • Not a new thing, but I heckin’ love the way you display progress on current level items!! There is no better way to quickly understand how I’m doing with each item. Absolutely brilliant:
  • Yes! Absolutely love the new timeline concept.
  • I have to disagree here – not that I always know what day of the week it is, but I rarely know the date without checking my phone. The toggles for days on the timeline is spectacular as-is. And of course defaulting to today open, future days closed is :ok_hand:.
  • Yeah, I do really like seeing my critical items too. I feel like it helps to cement in my mind the ones that I need to give a little extra attention to, as I’m getting them consistently wrong.

CONS

• Yeah, the buttons are too big. I very much appreciate that you’re working hard to respond to the feedback you’ve gotten, that’s awesome. But I think the color + illustrations could give these enough prominence on their own, without the need to make them awkwardly gigantic.

Hmm… That’s a pretty good idea. :thinking:

• Agree; I think including empty hours in timelines would make them more digestible. And it does feel like time should be on the x-axis, but I don’t think that’s critical; I’ll get used to whatever you decide is more efficient and visually pleasing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you, WaniKani, for all your brilliant work on this! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Unrelated, but I have an issue. The hover text on current level radical & kanji items, that tell you when the next review is coming, doesn’t exist on mobile, it just takes you to the item page. I’d wish it didn’t do that.

This is super neat!!

1 Like

Hi, I love this new information. I use WK exclusively from my phone with zero scripts and this visual helps figure out how lazy I can be with my reviews (just kidding, sort of). More importantly, I think it can help me better space out my lessons and reviews so I don’t get hit with a big block of 100+ coming at me all at once.

Only suggestion is that on my phone, the review and lesson buttons are stacked rectangles, and it might be nice for them to be side by side squares. But I’m not super fussed with a little scrolling.

Really nice add!

I think the new layout and style look pretty clean overall. The info contained within Review Forecast is easy to understand, so that’s nice. I also agree that the massive buttons aren’t my favorite thing, but I don’t hate them.

One thing I will say (and I say this as someone who tried Ultimate Timeline and then removed it) is that sometimes I don’t necessarily want to see my Review Forecast. This is most often because the numbers appear too overwhelming (even if that’s not necessarily the case with my lesson/review count), and it can be discouraging to see in general. It can lead to dreading reviews, or perhaps “planning” for reviews too much.

I don’t know what the best solution is for that since I realize the layout is pretty dependent on the Review Forecast being in that position. I could see having a placeholder image there for folks who don’t want it, but that’s not super practical.

2 Likes