For those who have reached level 60

This is really interesting to read. As someone who is reaching currently traversing the intermediate desert it’s interesting to read accounts of people who passed it and are currently thinking how they will climb mount fluency. It’s also heartening to see people so far in their journey and still willing to put their boots on and climb even further. It almost makes me ashamed for sitting on this somewhat comfortable plateau for as long as I have.

3 Likes

mood

8 Likes

I’m all for completing everything, but isn’t the ultimate goal to be interacting with native content? The reason why I still have items after so long is because I’m focusing on consuming Japanese rather the SRS system. So if you haven’t been really investing time in using Japanese, you might as well get started.

7 Likes

Other: spend most of your Japanese time on native content, like books, video games, youtube videos, manga, anime, movies… Or using Japanese to interact with natives.

I didn’t burn everything. I wanted to, but it felt increasingly like a low return on investment time-wise.

Remember that any source for studying Japanese is only ever a crutch there to make using Japanese easier It’s not a goal in and of itself. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank-you everyone for your advice / experience.

I really appreciate it !

top answer was to reduce time spent on Wanikani (but with a few also saying burn all).

Likely that when / if i complete this year I will try to replace the regular kanji studying that Wanikani enforces with some sort of reading / listening practice.

maybe starting again is off the table for now :slight_smile: but going cold turkey on wanikani might be too much :rofl:

I am looking right now ! Think i might give it a whirl :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is an example(leech) for me: 表(omote/front). I never managed to remember it properly but while playing Yu-Gi-Oh I saw it so many times that I couldn’t forget it anymore. 表側表示(おもて,がわ,ひょう,じ) means “Face-Up”. The same character has two readings in the same name. Crazy! Don’t try to be a perfectionist during your studies. Everything will fall in place after enough exposure to the real language.

If you REALLY struggle with those words, you can always make an Anki deck just for them. You will save so much time. WaniKani isn’t efficient at all because you will have to go through a lot of vocab you know already. It’s such a low return on investment.

I hope you will keep up the pace and reach 60 soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh god ! 表側表示 - two readings in the same word. Brilliant :sweat_smile:

Lvl 59? when is your anticipated lvl60 ? :partying_face:

I am not level 60 or close to it. But i did mess up some burn reviews (pretty bad too) i don’t think it worth resetting though.

In 2 days, my final post is already prepared :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.