Fonts are throwing me off!

It’s like a vision diagnostic for kanji.

Eye doctor: And the last line plese
Patient: [struggles through it]
Eye doctor: Mmm, I’m afraid your Crabigator Cultist, Here is a prescription for blue light filter lenses, try not to spend all night doing reviews…

2 Likes

Century Gothic seems to be a “kinda”. As in, it might work, but you’d better have a backup.

1 Like

It’s a non-free font, so open source OS (Linux distributions, FreeBSD and the like) won’t have it by default. You can always find ways to get a version of it for “free”, though.

1 Like

Comic Sans is the work of the devil.

2 Likes

It’s not that bad! I don’t like how it’s always 1.5 times bigger than I expect at any given font size though.

OT: What are you guys favorite Japanese font? I always try to use Meiryo if I can. (MS did such a great job on this one). If it’s not available, I like to try the Google Noto font. Used to be I liked the M+ fonts, but I haven’t used those in a while.

1 Like

I especially dislike how different fonts mess up WK radicals sometimes. For example, some fonts show 船 as “sail + table + mouth”, while others - as “sail + fins + mouth”…

P. S.

3 Likes

“Fins” with the hat is what Koichi used to call “volcano”, but doesn’t seem to any more. Or at least, not that I can find. Either way, they’re the same radical.

“Table” is quite different - the sides meet the top at right angles.

1 Like

Yes, but different fonts still mix them up:

P. S. Sorry one of the images (the one in the middle) isn’t big enough, but I think it’s still easy to see that it’s the table there.
In other words:
first image - ship with fins/volcano radical used.
second image (small, sorry again about it) - ship with table radical used
third image - table radical for reference.

1 Like

Actually it is just the way the “fins” (I prefer to think of it as “eight”) is written… you get used to it with practice. It’s the same when sometimes r + n looks like m when you see it written in English, even in standard fonts. My street name ends in rn and I often get mail where it is written ending in m!

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s still a bit annoying, isn’t it? :sweat_smile:

Oh for sure! And I really do feel for the beginners when even the kana is confusing as heck!

3 Likes

Also, on a related subject:
https://community.wanikani.com/t/complaining-is-a-must/10346/7249?u=trunklayer

Now I understand why I get spam from “pom” sites.

6 Likes

:rofl: Just read this aloud to my husband, who cracked up completely.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Meiryo life.

Meiryo all day every day.

I would sleep in Meiryo if I could.

1 Like

So many digital books I read have errors due to OCR mistakes.
Happens realllly often with rn.

I just finished a book set in Berlin and all the street names referenced in it came out as Karl-Marx-Alice, Stalin Alice etc

image and image are supposed to be the same kanji…

2 Likes

They are the same kanji, can’t you tell? :stuck_out_tongue:

But in all seriousness, yeah, there’s a whole bunch of kanji which have that exact change, like 冷, for example. There’s a whole bunch more with more subtle tweaks, like 人 and 入 (the strokes meet at the middle rather than at the top), 長 (the left hand “foot” is lacking the serif that sticks out to the left - it’s just one angled stroke), 糸 (both sticking-out-to-the-left serifs are missing - it’s just two angled strokes), 言 (the top stroke is a dot rather than a line). And so on and so forth.

Jisho’s “how to write” animations and stroke order charts show the handwritten versions.

2 Likes

When I was first learning kanji, trying to find stuff in a dictionary based on radical and stroke count, these changes gave me a super hard time.

Like, the thread radical you mentioned, in a normal ‘serif’ font, you’d need 8 strokes to write it with all the little serifs. But it’s actually only 6. So, thread is under 6 strokes, not 8.

2 Likes