(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

Wait, but even with different editions, the text is supposed to be the same right?

I already did that with Aria (I have a different edition than the one of the book club, again because that was the one I could find), and it’s… not super fun.

1 Like

Thing is, I have an ePUB ebook, so page counts are sadly meaningless. I tried to find the print version on Amazon to compare pages, but to no avail.

1 Like

Oh my b sorry if that sounded too defensive

I dunno but this is 238 pages and the tsubasa bunko one is 148.

If @NicoleIsEnough is using the adult version that might account for the extra appearances of どうか

Ah that’s unforunate. If you’re using a kindle this is what it says
I dunno if it’s comparable across different devices.

Anyway gonna go to bed because I got class in four hours. Good luck :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Yes, I also have 238 pages, but that’s because there are two additional short stories plus an explanation from the author. The main text ends at page 115, 123 with the afterwords. We don’t have illustrations, so that might make up the difference? Or the kid’s version replaced some hard words by a few simpler ones :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I decided to check the first three page against those posted in the bookclub thread, and the content is exactly the same (the lack of kanji is sadly the same too). Only differences:

• No illustration in my edition
  • Almost no furigana
  • Font is slightly larger (so less text per line) but lines (or err columns) are closer since there’s no furigana. So variability, but both books ended the third page exactly at the same place. That last point probably explains the remaining difference in page number.

I just checked the first page myself and it’s really good to see that the text is the same. That at least will make reading together easier.

1 Like

I quickly browsed through it, and I, too, witnessed the horrors of かの女.

2 Likes

I feel like I’ve seen that version before, though honestly it could have been from Kiki (which we all know isn’t the best model). It is somewhat of an exceptional reading, so maybe some authors or publishers don’t think the younger readers will know it from the kanji alone. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve started to read the book already (I will probably not be able to keep up with the pace of the book club, so I thought it’s ok to give myself a bit of a head start :slight_smile:), and I noticed that there are a few glitches in the floflo vocab. I would not mind making a list of these words as I go along. Also, maybe I can clarify some of the vocab ambiguities.

@Raionus, would you be interested in such a list? Or is there a way for me to annotate those things on floflo directly?

One other thing: I ran into an issue with floflo and I do not know how to resume from here…
I had started out with frequency 2, and I’ve been adding and trashing about half of the words so far. When I checked the lessons page, I saw more and more words in the tab for that book.
Now I started reading the book and I realized that it would be more helpful to be able to look at all the words. So I switched the book’s words list from frequency 2 to 1, and now I see all the words in it. But when I started to add words from this list, they did not show up on my lessons page?! To be more precise, when I click on “add” for one of those words, it disappears, but it does not appear in the lessons word list. Not even after reloading or logout/login.
It might help to know that right before switching the frequency, I had added one word to the vocab queue because I wanted to find out what that feature might give me. Maybe that messed up something?

1 Like

The lessons page only shows up to 300 lessons, which is extremely generous. A quick look at your account shows that you have 400+.

Basically adding an item as a lesson makes it so that it doesn’t appear on other vocab lists, so it’s in your interest to not develop a backlog of lessons because that makes switching books difficult. The general philosophy of the website is to just add stuff as you need it. 400 lessons should take you like two weeks probably so it sounds like you’re good.

If you’d like to look for misparses then feel free, but I’m kind of lukewarm towards the idea because a number of people have offered to do this but no one ever got very far. The amount of data tends to be overwhelming.

Well, I somehow managed to get them filtered by book, so it only shows me 172 lessons for the Time Girl book:

But anyways, good to know that there is a limit. That’s actually the other question I had in mind: While reading the first page, I found it extremely convenient to have floflo next to me so that I could use it as a smart dictionary that already knows the next word I need to look up :wink: But this obviously does not work on the book’s words list because it only shows me so many words, and now I learned that this does not work on the lessons list either…
(Is there any way to make floflo work in this dictionary-style fashion?)

Honestly, I wish I could learn Japanese vocab at that pace!

Well, no guarantee that I’ll last till the end :wink: So for the vocab of the first half-page I collected 8 remarks. The question is, are you willing to add them manually or is this just too painful for you (which I would totally understand)? Because, if the remarks are not used then I need not write them up in the first place.

3 Likes

Currently there isn’t.

I can make certain changes. I look for misparses (as in, the wrong word showing up) but not specific definitions.

Ex: I’ll fix かの女 parsing as かの+女 but not like the ‘かしら’ in the book is the hiragana kashira, not 頭. If you have any misparses then send me them in the pseudo PM thread.

1 Like

Well, kind of. It depends whether you actually want to learn all the words or not. If you only want to learn higher-frequency words and your lesson pace is on par with how fast you’re reading, it can work.

I would basically read with the list alongside, and ‘ignore’ any words I’m not interested in adding to my lesson queue but don’t want to trash. They’ll only disappear for 30 days, so if I’m reading another book later where a particular word is high-frequency, I can still see it and choose to learn it then.

It does mean that if you take more than 30 days to read the book you’ll have to ignore them all again a month later though :grin:

2 Likes

Ah, that makes perfect sense :slight_smile: Thank you for the suggestion!

2 Likes

A hopefully small request:

Would it be possible for the ‘all titles’ page to remember what I sort the list by? I like to have it ordered by Unique Words, but have to re-sort every time I navigate to the page.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll definitely consider it.

Right now I’m gearing up to face the dumpster fire that is the Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo list. I’m working on a tool right now that should hopefully let me fix misparses in a timely manner. Hopefully I can get this done before the book club starts @_@

And then making sure that the All Titles page keeps all your last-used settings would be the next logical step I think.

3 Likes

Yay, thanks for working on that!

2 Likes

Cool, thanks! It’s not a big thing, so I get that there are other priorities :slightly_smiling_face:

I second seanblue’s thanks too!

why is it a dumpster fire? O.o

The author basically decided to write in a way that was confusing for the parser. He doesn’t use kanji a lot and also mixes in hiragana + kanji which is confusing for the parsing. The かの女 thing is a good example. The parser doesn’t read furigana so it reads it as かの + おんな. And other stuff like that. It would’ve been nice if they just used full kanji with furigana like normal people.

1 Like

Oh no, it’s Kiki all over again!

Was Kiki inaccurate or something?