"Flesh&Blood" Vol. 4 - Pirate Series Reading Club 🏴‍☠ ⛵

Dun dun dun. The ultimate upset!

Oh, very cool! I figured something was up once you started tossing out all these cool facts. It’ll be my time to shine once the programming sections in F&B come up. :muscle:

“Kaito! Someone’s hacking into the Gloria’s mainframe!”
Kaito pulls out keyboard, sunglasses
Kaito: :sunglasses: :keyboard: :computer:
Jeoffrey/Nigel: falls in love all over again

Which storybook cover was this again?

2 Likes

I forgot to ask about this. But, maybe @NicoleRauch Are you talking about the character art book? There are two characters that haven’t been posted yet. They really don’t feature yet in the story though. I’ll fix it as we get further along…:eyes:

2 Likes

You’ve been through the entire story at this point via drama CD, right ekg? Any significant/minor deviations so far?

2 Likes

Not really. I think I commended about it in the last volume (?). I forget what part now XD but yeah, it’s a very faithful rendition of the story. :slight_smile: Last weekend I did some relistening of this volume, but mostly the first part with Vincente. As always, I find it much easier to follow the story when listening (no problematic kana and all that formal speech doesn’t seem too hard either, since the flow of the conversation never stops. :thinking: As I read further, I’ll follow along with listening to the story as well is the plan right now. :headphones: ^>^

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, yes, that was the name :sweat_smile:

Looking at the cover that is shown in the main thread, from bottom to top there are Nigel - Vicente - Kaito - Jeoffrey - and Mister Unknown… :thinking:
Curious to meet this character at some point.

1 Like

Kazuya is Kaito’s childhood friend back in our time. ^^’ Back in the beginning of volume 1.

Oh I did not realize that it’s Kazuya :woman_facepalming: Now that explains a lot, thanks!

1 Like

More Chapter 9 thougths

Dunno why, but I find it endearing that Good Will is the make-up artist for their theatre production. XD And he shows off a bit during rehearsing the roles, him taking on all roles, Marlow one, and Kaito one. XD

Btw, what do you make of Elizabeth’s “gift” of borrowing jewlery for Kaito for the role. Sounds unlikely something like that would ever happen (I really don’t know what type of patronage stage people might receive for their performances, before or after, at this time), but I guess it makes for good encouragement for Kaito. ^^

2 Likes

So this reminds me: would this be romanized as “Good Will” or “Goodwill”? I was reading it as the latter before the reveal, but the former makes more sense in context. I just wanted to make sure since my brain is resisting using “Good” as nickname prefix. Even though I now realize “Goodwill” doesn’t make any sense as a name… I thought it was his last name, okay

I thought it was pretty cute when Kaito mentioned he could’ve worked as a modern-day model makeup artist; really shows his skills!

So my thought was this: Kaito represents her, since he’s a personally-appointed court fool, and if Kaito looks good on stage, she looks good. Hence her loaning out the pearls. It’s a bit of a gamble on her part, but maybe she doesn’t know how green Kaito is, haha.

2 Likes

Some good points for sure. And it ties into her asking Kaito to seek out and learn how to do his part as a fool at her court.

Regarding names, I think it’s helpful to remember that having a last name was not always the case. Rather, people have a given name and some kind of further information that told you who they were. “Sarah from Kent”, or some such. I’m talking more generally here, not specifically English. Though, reading Shakespeare’s wiki-page, I realize his nickname was Bard of Avon (from Stratford-upon-Avon where he was from), though there is a historical source that indeed talks about the performance of “good Will” :eyes: William Shakespeare - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Chapter 10 thoughts

The first part of the chapter, made me think of those live tv broadcasts of royalty rich events, like the Nobel Price Dinner etc: let’s spot who sits besides who! :eyes:

I guess, it’s also helpful to be reminded of who all those important people are that’s about to see Kaito’s theatre debut! ^>^

A general question, but got reminded again of this thought on page 207, isn’t the time for introspection and internal monologue, quite long. I’m suddenly realizing that this might not be the case in literature outside of Japan, and really this is a language trait of Japanese. :eyes: How to write in a way the readership understands, and relates to? Some such. Or it’s the timing of the introspection, rather, that makes you feel like you pause the actions before all thoughts about it are finished.

then again, am I simply reading too slowly? Is this an experience Japanese people feel? (though, I think the extension of this sort of thing, regardless of reading speed will be felt for sure…it’s in the way of story progression no matter what)

But, maybe I don’t really get a grammatical thing here, in how to parse things like native Japanese people do. As a different flow? More integrated? Just thinking out loud here for a moment! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Finished chapters 10 and 11 this past weekend. The end of the book is so near. :eyes: Looks like we won’t be escaping from the palace anytime soon, sigh. At least Jeoffrey should be hanging around. I can’t help but think that Kaito’s going to do too good a job at impressing Elizabeth, so he probably won’t be fired for incompetency.

I though it was pretty funny in chapter 11 where even Shakespeare knows that Kaito’s some kind of fortuneteller. They go through all this trouble to try to keep it a secret, and the first court lady who hears about it blabs to everyone in range. :stuck_out_tongue: Staying under the radar in the palace is probably a losing fight.

I gotta say, the arrogance of these nobles really shines through. “You’re going to make me wait?! Me?!” and all that. You also get a good look at how most don’t really see Kaito as a real person (like the butler or whoever he was comparing Kaito to a monkey :cry:), which makes me want to get back to the Gloria all the sooner.

(Ch. 10 spoiler) Was it only a single coin? She gave him a pouch, right? I figured there’d be more than one.

I thought it was extra cute when, having looked at all the bigwigs in attendance, Kaito goes, 玉座近くの青年貴族達よりも、俺の兄弟の方はハンサムだ, haha. The boy can’t help himself.

I’ve had this thought as well! Like, there will be a really tension-filled scene, and suddenly Kaito’s thinking about something for like several paragraphs before the next bit of action occurs. I can’t tell if it flows more smoothly if you’re reading at a native speed or not; it always takes me out of things and makes me think, “uh, Kaito? Did you freeze up or something?” I have a hard time telling how much time is supposed to have passed while he’s sitting there remembering history class or something.

One more chapter left. I both want to finish the book and don’t want to. I really wanna see what happens next, but I might need to take a short break before volume 5 to give myself time to read/start another book for a different book club (with some irl friends).

1 Like

All right, chapter 12 and the book done! I pushed on through so I could give myself a bunch of time to get started on that other book (Vampire Hunter D; figured I’d try reading it in Japanese, but the level 40 tag on Natively is intimidating…)

Man, though. Just what will volume 5 hold in store for us? :eyes: :eyes: That ploy to blame Kaito is so transparent. Maybe just because we’re observers so we’d know, but geez. I felt bad for the bishop; what a stupid reason to get killed. “I really hate this little foreigner! Let’s frame him murdering a top official!”

This fool arc has felt a bit rushed so far, to be honest. I wonder if 松岡先生 also really wants to get Kaito back to the Gloria, haha.

So just to be clear here, did the book end with Kaito already tried/in prison, or just thinking about how he will be tried? It kind of felt like when things were happening were jumping around.

This is another dumb question, but they intended baptizing Kaito as a Protestant, right? I wasn’t sure, since there are confirmed Catholics at court; I was thinking that the majority (?) of the country had swapped over by this point. Unless I misread and Walsingham is Protestant?

Totally agree! This volume was definitely heavier on the “I need to look this stuff up” side of things. I think I gave up keeping track of Elizabeth’s favored nobles at some point and just decided to trust Kaito in keeping track for me, haha. If Kaito ever makes it to the Spanish court, we’ll have a similar situation on our hands. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if 松岡先生 traveled to London for her research or anything? She probably mentions it one of her afterwords; I haven’t been too diligent in reading them. ^_^; Has anyone else?

Hmmm, I mean we can’t be sure I guess, but I envisioned it as a single coin in a leather bag. Also later when he plans to buy alcohol, it says 海斗はエリザベスにもらった金貨の使い道を発見する。 and I would expect this to be somewhat different if he only used one of a number of coins he had received. :woman_shrugging:

For me these scenes often feel as if a thought had crossed his mind; this takes a split second to happen but of course explaining it to the reader is a more long-winding thing. Also I think it’s a good tool for the author as it helps keep the speed of actions under control. So while I feel like the history lessons at the beginning of the volume (and also in previous volumes) were quite lengthy, I was ok with these “Oh, Mr Fox my history teacher always said…” or something. :woman_shrugging:

Do you think he was murdered? :exploding_head: So far I thought he just died from a natural heart attack or something, and everybody grabbed the chance to reframe this as murder. Maybe I’m just too naive :woman_shrugging:

Riiight? Also I wasn’t too convinced the fools’ jokes were actually funny :woman_facepalming:

No, he is just ordered to be thrown into prison: 「ニューゲートに連れて行け」but they are still in the dining hall at that point, is what I understood.

That’s how I read it at well. Walsingham says: 「陛下は国教会の首長でもあらせられるのです。カイトをお側に置くつもりなら、ただちに改宗させるべきです。」and Elizabeth agrees with that. Later Elizabeth also explains to him 「異教徒には生きにくい世の中じゃ。国教徒になれば、ウォルシンガムもあれほどうるさくは言わぬ。」

I only read the afterword in the first two volumes :sweat_smile: In Vol. 2 she says it would be nice to go to Île de Ré and spend a holiday there, sipping wine and eating seafood, or something :upside_down_face: which didn’t sound like she had been to Europe for her research, but who knows. Maybe it’s different with London. On the other hand, all that stuff is in Wikipedia, so no real need to go to London tbh :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Very true! Probably just a reading speed kind of thing; I end up having to linger over sentences, so the amount of time Kaito’s considering something gets stretched out as well.

Oh, oops, haha. I just assumed! My other book club book is a murder mystery where several people have died via poison, so my brain was already primed to see it as murder. :sweat_smile:

Maybe it’s a lost in translation kind of thing? Anyhow, I thought it was kind of neat how there were two types of court fools/jesters: clowns and fools. I wonder if that kind of job divide is historically accurate? I did a little bit of reading, but nothing popped up.

2 Likes

I came across Medieval Jesters – And their Parallels in Modern America — History is Now Magazine, Podcasts, Blog and Books | Modern International and American history which states:

There were two primary types of Jesters in Medieval Europe – the natural fool and the licensed fool. The natural fool was known as moronic in social setting; whereas the licensed fool had the legal privileges granted to them to avoid the mentioned court punishments for bad behavior.

and when you google around for these terms, a lot more pops up (especially Shakespeare made many of them appear in his plays, it seems). I thought this one was also quite nice: Jesters and fools :: Life and Times :: Internet Shakespeare Editions (by the way Tarleton is the guy called チャード from our book…)

2 Likes

All the talk about make-up, reminded me of a Youtube documentary of some sort, discussing make-up during previous eras. Scarily, a lot of poisonous substances were used at the time, which would eat away at your skin and cause damage. Sounds pretty terrifying, tbh. :grimacing:

1. Some say that she may have died of blood poisoning, brought on by her use of a lead-based makeup known as “Venetian Ceruse” (or “the spirits of Saturn”). This substance was classified as a poison 31 years after Elizabeth’s death.

2. Other proposed causes of death include pneumonia, streptococcus (infected tonsils), or cancer.

Source: Little-Known or Unknown Facts Regarding Queen Elizabeth I’s Death | Royal Museums Greenwich

2 Likes

Ooh, I remember reading a little about that when I went on an Elizabeth information hunt. :open_mouth: I think Kaito even mentions it at one point in the book, though now I can’t remember if it was in relation to Elizabeth, one of the maids, etc.

2 Likes

This is really interesting stuff! Thanks for checking it out. :slight_smile:

Also, I really don’t want to imagine Kaito with a fool’s hat! >:>

2 Likes

He talks in details about the makeup at the beginning of ch 11, where I’m at. Maybe it comes up soon? :slight_smile:

2 Likes