"Flesh&Blood" Vol. 1 - Pirate Series Reading Club 🏴‍☠ ⛵

Looking forward to it. There are also a couple of extra stories in the Character book to look forward to. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stopping in at p191 to express how much I’m really hating Geoffrey/Jeffrey at the moment, urgh. I am giving it some credit of the doubt so far as Kaito is accurately considering Jeffrey’s advances towards him as assault. But also it makes me very worried that from book covers etc it seems like he’s going to be Kaito’s romantic interest and maaaaan he has a lot of evolving/redeeming himself to do. I really hope this series isn’t actually doing the whole ‘Kaito is thinks that he doesn’t want to kiss or sleep with Jeffrey but actually deep down he does and actually it’s fine for Jeffrey to be violating his obvious lack of consent and abusing the power he has over him’ thing because if so, major ugh.

Let’s see, Jeffrey has 30% left of this volume to prove that he’s not as bad as I think he is just now!

4 Likes

Is this before they go to Drake’s manor?

1 Like

It is, yes! I’ve read about another 5 pages after where I was at and Jeffrey has agreed not to assault Kaito anymore and I’m now getting some of his POV on the way to Drakes manor so seems like it is inching towards some redemption buuut still he was pretty terrible in chapter 5 so he has some way still to go for me!

4 Likes

Just finished chapter 7! The book now feels like it’s really getting going, I was thinking before that I could do with a break after this volume before the next one but now I’m not so sure. It kind of reminds me of the pacing of the only other light novel series I’ve read some of (NO.6) where again a lot of things happened in the first volume but it kind of felt like the plot only moved into high gear pretty close to the end of the volume. Like I got to the “ooooh, things are happening!” point and then the book ended. Feel like this one might end up feeling very similar.

On another note, I thought that Kaitos descriptions on Vincente to Drake were very funny “oh, he’s very handsome, about as handsome as Jeffrey. And he has brilliant emerald eyes.” Yes Kaito….you are definitely straight :grin: (though I am still of the mindset that Kaito should hit Jeffrey somewhere it hurts if he makes any more advances.

4 Likes

They do need a selling point for Vol. 2 after all, don’t they? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Gotta agree with you though, after all of this massive world building we deserve some proper action!

4 Likes

I think at some point Jeoffrey asks him if he likes girls, and Kaito deflects, doesn’t he? :stuck_out_tongue: I remember reading that and thinking, “that’s not a yes, Kaito”.

4 Likes

Yes, he certainly deflects on that subject. XD And his internal monologue upon meeting Jeoffrey, Nigel, Vincente are about how good looking they are! Kaito might not be experienced, I assume, but that’s not to say he’s straight either.

3 Likes

…and that volume 1 done! It ended very strongly, feel like all the pieces are on the board to set up some exciting things to happen!

While I was a bit worried about how Kaito would pull off the whole fortune telling ruse, I really like that it levels out the power dynamic between him and Jeffrey a bit. It puts us in a much better place for any romance developing I think!

Excited to read volume 2, but also excited to take a break for a week or two and read something that doesn’t involve quite so many vocab lookups for historical or seafaring terms :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

At least for the seafaring stuff, I’ve started in on a nautical encyclopedia in the Home thread, beside all the Historical figures, places and events that are listed. There’s just a lot of this stuff for obvious reasons I guess, and hopefully some of those special vocab will feel more natural as we read on. :crossed_fingers: ^^’

4 Likes

I really enjoyed it! Some of the super historical parts were kind of rough to get through but still super interesting and I thought it was overall a really fun read. Sorry for the late response, I was on a trip and had to take a bit of a break from posting. I’m back now though and just about ready to get started on the next volume!

Some thoughts

Coming into reading this I didn’t really know much about the series or the historical setting aside from a bit about Drake. So my thought process was Drake=important pirate guy=potential love interest(?) through a lot of the beginning of this volume until he was introduced and like 44 and married :joy:
It seems like a lot of interesting stuff was set up in the first volume so I’m excited to see how Kaito adjusts to his new life on the sea from now on with how different it is to his life before, as well as how he’s going to handle predicting the future when asked more things outside of his specific range of knowledge.

4 Likes

@NicoleRauch physical page numbers for the chapters:

Chapter 1: p5
Chapter 2: p45
Chapter 3: p70
Chapter 4: p109
Chapter 5: p134
Chapter 6: p180
Chapter 7: p222
Chapter 8: p261
Chapter 9: p282
予感: -not present-
あとがき: p294

3 Likes

Thank you for the page numbers! I’ve added them to the OP (for Vol. 1 and 2). :+1:

2 Likes

(Spoilers through beginning of chapter 3, I think?)

@ekg I gave the first four tracks of the drama CD a shot! Right up to where Vicente is chased off by Rufus and co. The atmosphere and sound effects are really well done, I thought! Granted, I’ve listened to like a total of two tracks of some other drama CD total and that’s it, so I have no idea what I’m talking about, but I was impressed nonetheless.

Especially the scene where Kaito is sucked into the time portal; it was…gruesome, almost. It sounded like he was being abducted by aliens, who then started ripping limbs off or something. Very evocative sfx, haha.

I didn’t catch a huge amount, sadly; what I did catch is likely due to me having read the book beforehand. But I had a good time doing it, at least. I’d like to continue listening if I can. :+1:

3 Likes

I mean, I started in on this series before learning kanji. I had only watched anime really. As you say, you might not catch a lot on the first go. Then you sort of get the hang of it. It’s allowed to relisten to parts of the dialogue you find more intriguing, but in general, what I find impressive as you did, is that it’s surprisingly easy to imagine what’s going on and the relative ease of following the story (even as the details eludes you). So, you get the rough draft first, then upon relistening, the details starts to be filled in, step-by-step, each time you relisten.

Now that I’ve read the first volume, I feel like even more detail has been added, finally. So, having that as a starting point should be helpful I feel. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All the activity in the threads for these is really making me want to pick the series back up! I had a few other things ahead of it in my reading queue but I might have to move things around so I join in sooner rather than later!

4 Likes

Oooh, I hope you do! We’ve had some really good scenes in later books; volume two starts off really strong, for instance. ^o^

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing your comments and questions! ^>^ Good luck with your reading!

1 Like