"Flesh&Blood" Vol. 1 - Pirate Series Reading Club 🏴‍☠ ⛵

Good question! :eyes: But, it’s lovely piece of detail that brings this world to life. ^>^

Okay, I did a LOT of reading yesterday. I’m at chapter 6! what a ride so far.

I sympathize with Kaito for his fears about what could happen to him if he ever were to experience torture as a means of questioning him. :grimacing: This is not the era of humanly methods of information extraction! :fearful: And his musings on hygiene and diseases are also serious fears that I’d have as well. Along with a ton of other fears about food, water etc. I’m clearly not suited for a life at sea in the 16th Century! XD

@sycamore Now those are some truly terrifying medical instruments they had onboard! :grimacing: OMG! You do not want to get seriously injured for sure! :scream:

4 Likes

Regarding the passing of time

I don’t think this is the case. The first chapters are a single day, yes (but what time-travel does to the length of a day, we don’t know). It still seems like one stretch of time, up to the point when Kaito loose consciousness and wakes up at the doctors place. How long it takes for he crew to get Jeoffrey, we don’t know. But, it seems to have been the next day due to the following events (the conversation with Ward mentions it being too late to go after Vincente, since a days has already passed). I also feel time passing by when Jeoffrey orders Kaito to learn sewing as part of his new position as a cabin boy. It’s a fade-away from the story but we can assume Kaito is getting settled in as cabin boy on Gloria. Then we find Kaito cleaning the deck, again, we don’t know how much time has passed, but just that time has passed. Kaito has been taught by Rufus this time, on ship care, so again suggesting time has been moving on. We also know that Gloria was not ready to set off immediately, but was in the preparations to sail. Again, how long this process takes is unknown to us. (I’m still not sure they have set sail as of the beginning of chapter 6)

I think it’s safe to say, the author is using a very subtle way of showing us the passing of time. It’s not explicitly stated which day it is, but rather presumed, since it would be unreasonable for it all to take place in a too short time-span anyway. :eyes:

3 Likes

These are all very good points. I was just expecting that because lots of events are told in a very detailed manner, that their sleeping arrangements on board would be a big part of the story :eyes: what with Jeoffrey’s advances towards Kaito and stuff. :woman_shrugging:

Yeah, like I said, I think Kaito stayed overnight at the doctor’s. But from then until they go to bed at Drake’s place, I believe it’s the same day. (Wouldn’t make much sense to me otherwise, with Kaito’s “omg I cannot stay alone” attitude, really :thinking:)

But I agree that definitely for the last chapter, some time has passed before that takes place.

It seems to be more a “for pirates” than “for men”, maybe. I’ve done some research and found a few articles:

The middle article also has interesting insights on the use of eyepatches, and the fondness of beautiful and showy clothes seems to be widely understood as well, while the last article then wonders whether this whole earring-thing was just a fluke anyway…

So, bottom line, it’s a nice addition to the story but nobody is really sure whether it’s a fact or just a romantic invention by later generations, is my take.

4 Likes

it appears that on p 221 there is a direct comment on the passing of time. Much to my surprise. :eyes: Indeed, it is just 1 continuous day from the start of this story to them meeting Drake! :astonished: @NicoleIsEnough

Frankly, it makes more sense for there to be some kind of spacing (just Kaito learning both how to sew from Evan? and how to scrub the deck from Rufus, seems a lot to happen in one day. ^^;

Anyway…

Chapter 6 thoughts:

Kaito’s first meeting with Nigel is thorny! XD He’s clearly facing an uphill battle in getting Nigel to trust him.

Then they’re invited to speak with Drake. :eyes: Nigel gets stuck on the ship doing preparations for their imminent departure.

Jeoffrey promised to not make Kaito share his bed on first boarding Gloria and just keep him on as a cabin boy, letting him presumably stay with the rest of the crew. Well, he’s already made passes at him (out of bed), and clearly has no real comprehension of the whole “explicit consent” thing Kaito demands. After a lot of arguing and some upset feelings, in the end, Jeoffrey accepts Kaito’s stance in his own way, promising again to not touch him against his will. Good man.

3 Likes

Did he teach him how to sew? I was thinking Evan just did the sewing for him in the short term.

2 Likes

He was told by Jeoffrey to learn how to sew, to fulfill his role as a cabin boy. He was to tell Evan that it was on Jeoffreys orders if he asked. So, yeah, Kaito learns to mend clothes etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chapter 7-8, thoughts:

There’s some cool interior and exterior images from the Abbey on this travel blog. Sir Francis Drake and the Rembrandt Selfie - at Buckland Abbey in Devon | Heather on her travels Also images of Drake’s Drum! :drum: :eyes:

As for meeting Drake, this is one of those very awkward things to read about. :sweat_smile: (kaito faking being a sier XD). Still, Kaito’s got a good head on his shoulders and so he manages to land on his feet. But, obviously, faking being able to see the future, is going to be quite the lie to keep up for him! :grimacing:

And some vague progress between Kaito and Jeoffrey. After Jeoffrey’s promise to keep his hands to himself, while at Drake’s place, it’s now up to Kaito to make a move. Being the scaredy cat he is, he clings onto Jeoffrey for stability in the situation he’s in, frightened with suddenly being alone. While Jeoffrey clearly have designs on Kaito, he’s still being quite honorable here. lol

3 Likes

Chapter 9 thoughts

Nautical question: how to you people interpret this phrase?

“ハリヤードにつけ” (Ch. 9, p. 286)

Before ヤード was used regarding the main mast, so I guess that’s what’s implied here. Then there’s the “ハリ”, which could be 梁 はり as in beam, since each mast have multiple beams.

So, it this a way to say, unfurl the main sails? (main mast, beam sail)? :thinking: Would make some sense in context.

There are several more nautical terms to untangle on this page as well. ミズン is Mizzen-mast. フォア should be Fore-mast. I guess it could be all about unfurling the ship’s various sails, but can’t quite translate these sentences. ^^;

Anyway, finally they’re finally off! Much excitemento! :sailboat: I think it’s fair to say, that was one intense day and night for Kaito. :sweat_smile:

I like the detail about superstitions around whistling on the ship! :eyes: :japanese_ogre:

1. Bananas
No bananas on board. They were believed to be so unlucky they would cause the ship to be lost. Whole cargoes of bananas were especially frightening for sailors.

:joy:

Better stick to apples and lemons for vitamins! But, yeah, the idea of getting a ton of fruit flies onboard isn’t particularly appealing. ^^;

As brought up already, the jump to Vincente at the end is a bit sudden. It makes sense to foreshadow what’s to come, but it suggests a passage of time we haven’t had in the story so far. :eyes: But, it’s nice to put some flesh and bones on the “enemy” of Spain at this point; rather than just talking about Spain we are shown the going-ons at the Spanish court. In the drama CD adaption Philip II was voiced by Jouji Nakata :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: a great choice! :+1:

I must say that I really like 松岡なつき’s clear and easy to follow writing style. The subject matter might be a bit difficult to follow at times, but I’m having a lot of fun reading so far. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Artwork from volume 1

Full color Extras

000c

Vol 1, ch 1, p 25

Vol 1, ch 2, p 63

Vol 1, ch 3, p 93

Vol 1, ch 4, p 131

Vol 1, ch 6, p 181

Vol 1, ch 6, p 209

Vol 1, ch 6, p 209

Vol 1, ch 7, p 253

Vol 1, ch 8, p 281

松岡なつきのあとがき

@NicoleIsEnough maybe you could put this in the OP post for easier access? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Omg. I’ve missed out on so much art… Thank you!

Does the later cover artist also do the interior illustrations, do you know?

1 Like

I just noticed the Geoffrey spelling as well! :astonished: Though, I guess, the 10th anniversary artbook does have a bit more weight to it when it comes to the romanizations? maybe?

2 Likes

You mentioned in the other thread you were reading the physical copies; is the 予感 extra in the physical volume?

Also,

Bit about Vincente? yeah, it’s part of Chapter 9. I commented a bit about it above. :slight_smile: it’s not a separate chapter.

1 Like

No, Vicente’s not in 予感; the extra talks about shoes and Nigel being suspicious.

1 Like

I didn’t notice this bit. :thinking: Though, Nigel is definitely very suspicious of Kaito. :eyes:

1 Like

Done!

I had somehow suspected this :flushed: as my digital version has the title add-on【SS付き電子限定版】- admittedly I’m not very clear as to what “SS” refers to here, but I was waiting for something to be present only in the digital version. Seems we figured it out…

3 Likes

SS is part of ship names is all I can think of. ^^ :ferry:

There have been made several “extras” for the drama CD-adaptions, so there is more story content onboard Gloria of the various shenanigans among the crew. This could be in the same vein. :thinking:

3 Likes

Short story, maybe?

1 Like

Being German, I unfortunately have some other associations jumping at me :cold_sweat: but yeah, neither seems to fit.

Now THAT would make so much sense :woman_facepalming: That would also clear up my timeline confusion entirely, about seemingly jumping back in time in this 予感. It’s just a separate story that happens in the middle of chapter 9, not afterwards. :+1:

3 Likes

Extras published as part of promotional materials/media adaptions are both the bane of my life and a joy in it. One one hand, usually inconvenient to acquire, littered in random free three-page booklets that you pay ¥1000+ to acquire secondhand each, and/or exclusive to a different, much more expensive media adaption (drama CD, Blu-ray, etc). On the other, fun to research, hunt for, and collect, and you get more story. ^o^

I may have already started a collection of F&B extras. :3 Was gonna post pictures once they all arrived.

3 Likes