Flesh & Blood Listening Club ~ Free Talk Specials Discussion Thread ⛵ 🎧 ~ Now Discussing: グローリア号の兄弟たち 番外編CD!

Welcome to the Free Talk Specials, spin-off thread to the Flesh & Blood Drama CD-series listening club :headphones:

What are Free talk CDs?

These are extras published outside of the main Drama CD adaption, which contain both musical tracks of the BGM from the series as well as a free talk track where the voice cast talk among themselves. There can be questions they’re given in advance to answer, but it often turns into boisterous joking and free for all chatting. ^>^ It’s great listening practice!

There are also extras with original story content, usually denoted “番外編/bangaihen”. These are additional stories taking place within the main story, but being unattached to the main events or the main plot and so can be consumed at any time. Expect only minor spoilers, but just enjoy spending more time with the characters you like. ^>^

Link to the Drama CD Listening Club Main thread: Flesh & Blood Drama CD-series listening club ⛵ 🎧
Also, check out the Book Club Home Thread!

Free talk specials list

FLESH&BLOOD 特典スペシャルトークCD
FLESH& BLOOD 456 連動購入特典スペシャルCD
FLESH&BLOOD 789 連動購入特典スペシャルCD
FLESH&BLOOD 101112 連動購入特典スペシャルCD
FLESH&BLOOD 131415 連動購入特典スペシャルCD
FLESH&BLOOD 161718 連動購入特典スペシャルCD
FLESH&BLOOD 192021 連動購入特典スペシャルCD

FLESH&BLOOD ナビゲーションCD
FLESH&BLOOD 番外編 グローリア号の兄弟たち
FLESH&BLOOD 番外編 グローリア号航海記
FLESH&BLOOD 番外編 夏の夜の夢
FLESH&BLOOD 番外編 離宮の小鳥
Chara 15th Anniversary Fair CD

Cast appearing on the Free talk specials:
Kaito Togo: Jun Fukuyama
Jeoffrey Rockford: Junichi Suwabe
Nigel Graham: Katsuyuki Konishi
Vincente de Santillana: Tooru Ookawa
Kazuya Norisaki: Daisuke Kishio
Christopher “Kit” Marlowe: Shinichiro Miki
Leonardo Bareta: Kouki Miyata
Rufus Berett: Masami Iwasaki
Ewan: Kouichi Kuriyama
Hugh: Ryou Sugisaki
Marcy: Kenichi Mine

spoiler for CD1 in main series Francis Drake: Kenyuu Horiuchi
spoiler for CD4 in main series William Shakespeare: Kouichi Toochika
spoiler for CD9 in main series Raul de Toledo: Takashi Kondou
spoiler for CD9 in main series Alonso de Leiva: Koji Yusa

Where to find these BLCDs?

To participate in this listening club you’ll have to buy the CDs, be it from Amazon or some other international seller. The CDs can be found by searching “Flesh & Blood BLCD” to distinguish them from the light novel series. You find the titles of the special CDs above to use in your search. It can vary how hard these are to acquire.

General listening tips

Use headphones! :headphones: Turn down the lights and turn the volume up. It helps to just focus on listening and nothing else around you. Find your quiet and calm space! :relaxed:

Interest poll

Are you joining us? :high_touch:

• Yay, let’s go! :high_touch:
  • I’m interested, but can’t promise anything
  • Sorry, but this isn’t my thing
0 voters

Discussion Guidelines

Please, use spoiler tags for discussions of future events and plots twists in the main story/main plot, including mentions of character names that might be seen as spoiler material.

Otherwise discuss anything you want, be it language questions, about the plot and characters, about the voice cast or what you think about this series. As always, be mindful of the forum rules in general. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which of the extras have you got?

• FLESH&BLOOD 特典スペシャルトークCD
  • FLESH& BLOOD 456連動購入特典スペシャルCD
  • FLESH&BLOOD 789連動購入特典スペシャルCD
  • FLESH&BLOOD 101112連動購入特典スペシャルCD
  • FLESH&BLOOD 131415連動購入特典スペシャルCD
  • FLESH&BLOOD 161718連動購入特典スペシャルCD
  • FLESH&BLOOD 192021連動購入特典スペシャルCD
  • FLESH&BLOOD ナビゲーションCD
  • FLESH&BLOOD 番外編 グローリア号の兄弟たち
  • FLESH&BLOOD 番外編 グローリア号航海記
  • FLESH&BLOOD 番外編 夏の夜の夢
  • FLESH&BLOOD 番外編 離宮の小鳥
  • Other…you’ve forgotten
0 voters
  • Chara 15th Anniversary Fair CD
0 voters

@eefara @NicoleIsEnough <3

Flesh & Blood Specials Booklets and Discussion Thread links

• 約束 - Discussion thread (published along with FLESH&BLOOD 特典スペシャルトークCD)
  • 夜警 - Discussion thread (published along with FLESH&BLOOD 456 特典スペシャルトークCD)

Schedule

After every 3rd BLCD completed in the main story, we’ll do a special talk to finish those 3 releases off before moving on with the story! ^>^

No specific dates at this time. Check the main thread for more details!

2 Likes

Ongoing Transcripts

Links to ongoing transcripts in both Japanese and English to the Special Talk CDs.

• [FLESH&BLOOD 特典スペシャルトークCD](what Eefara posts)
  • [FLESH&BLOOD 789 連動購入特典スペシャルCD](what Eefara posts) (???) transcript)
1 Like

Once my package next week arrives, I’m hoping that’ll have all the rest of the special talks I’m missing. I got suuuuper lucky and have been able to find copies of the Navigation CD and 夏の夜の夢 (with its bonus story, even), which are by far the hardest to find nowadays of the bangaihen imo.

Once I have my hands on that package I was thinking I might take photos of everyone and post them here so people can see what all the extras look like.

Easier to acquire in general too, afaik, besides 離宮の小鳥 and maybe グローリア号航海記. …Man, my listening skills are not going to be up to any of the Special Talks probably. :sweat_smile: I feel like we should at least get through the first drama CD before starting any Special Talks. Heck, it would take a while but it could be worth it to listen to each Special Talk after each third main CD, like how they were originally released. I know I personally just need the practice of listening to a CD with training wheels a script before I start tackling unscripted stuff.

Also, loooool at (CD9 character spoilers) Leiva’s name being listed in the cast list in the home post. His blonde supremacy doesn’t die. Why do you keep showing up?! You barely have a speaking part in the main books. :person_facepalming:

2 Likes

I think your suggestion is great. Let’s give the specials a try after each 3rd drama CD release, much like they did originally. :slight_smile:

lol, I know! :joy: But he’s voiced by Koji Yusa, which is a personal fav of mine :star_struck: , so I’m not complaining! :+1:

2 Likes

Ah, I just noticed you’re missing one from the list! It’s the Chara 15th Anniversary Fair CD; it’s got an episode of DEADLOCK and F&B (散策) on it. Here’s an image of it.

1 Like

Thanks for spotting it! I added a separate poll option for it. ^>^

Ed: Aaaan added to the OP. Almost forgot about that! XD

1 Like

So now that I’ve got all my F&B bonus CDs in, I wanted to post some pictures of them for folks to see!

First up, the Special Talk CDs (under the cut). The first CD comes with a unique cover paper, so I took the CD out to sit beside it so you could see both. These CDs should be ordered in release order, left to right, top to bottom. They’ve got some very pretty colors, as you can see! (I’ve got the double of the third CD stacked up, hence the weird doubling effect in the photo.)

Special Talk CDs

Next up: so I still don’t 100% know how these were distributed, but these were booklets with bonus stories distributed alongside the Special Talk CDs! The copyright years don’t match up exactly booklet to CD, so there must’ve been time in between sending out each part of the pair. I was thinking, @ekg, that I might post scans of these booklets as we reach them listening to the Special Talk CDs; what do you think? They’ll also be posted in our book series bonus threads too, of course (and will most likely be posted much quicker there), but I was thinking it would be nice to have them all here as well. Plus they could be fun to discuss if we can maintain a different enough listener-base than what we have in the novel threads.

It’s a bit difficult to read the text on some of the booklets; sorry about that. The text is all a gold color that doesn’t show up well against some of those cover colors in photos…

Special Talk booklets

And finally, in no particular order, the 番外編 CDs! Aren’t the covers just lovely? Is your Navigation CD also in the same case, @ekg? There’s no back cover on mine, so it feels a bit weird compared to the others. Bottom right of the picture you can also see a bonus story included with 夏の夜の夢, the CD to its left; 夏の夜の夢 was originally distributed at AGF 2015 (Animate Girls Festival) and online; only copies sold at AGF 2015 had the bonus story included, to my knowledge. I’ll post the story here when/if we get around to this CD, and it will also be posted in the appropriate future Bonus Story thread for the novel version of F&B.

番外編 CDs

2 Likes

That would be wonderful if you did! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Much thanks! :bowing_woman:

I think, since currently this club is partially driven by the same people in the book club, that I’d rather create a wiki for you to use, like listing all the stuff for easy access? And then there can be links under each title that I’ll make sure is there, to each of the novel extra discussion threads.

Rather than splitting a conversation about the same material in two, I feel like it makes more sense to bring everyone together to a single thread to make that conversation more lively! We’ve been very good with spoiler tacking plot twists so far, so I’m sure it can work, even if we would read the material separately. Emphasis on if here, since we could also just do it at the same time.

We’re few enough people in here, that making people go to the main book thread to discuss the scheduling or vote for different start dates, would not be impossible to do I feel. It just makes more sense to me to keep us together as a group as much as we can. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also wanna say, there is soo much to love about all of those booklets and CDs! Absolutely beautiful art and production! :sob: :heart:

2 Likes

Ah, that’s a good idea; that does make more sense. :thinking: Might as well do that!

Right? I think 夏の夜の夢 has my favorite art. :3 Though グローリア号の兄弟たち is a close second. We’re so lucky F&B has all this cool drama CD stuff!

2 Likes

I think so too. This story is perhaps ?? too narrow in audience to make it to the big screen and become anime (press X for doubt considering the pretty lame stuff that do get anime each season), but yeah, there is still stigma connected to the whole BL genre, so less investments in their stuff. And, frankly, anime is often seen as an investment to make the source material even more popular, advertising in some way. I guess, that’s the main issue: women are not seen as as strong buyers, even though they do buy lots of stuff. I don’t konw the facts about that, so I’ll leave it at that. But, clearly, even with very serious historical stories like this one. I guess, it’s an uphill battle.

Sometime in the future, after we’re feeling done here, I do wanna introduce you to another epic BL story, that’s nothing like this one. But, still also well worth it for how rich and animated the world building is, the Drama CD adaption is quite something as well. :eyes:

2 Likes

Uuuugh, I would die if F&B got an anime. x.x Think about all the complaining we could do about the lame filler they add and/or all the details they changed and now F&B’s ruined! Man, that would be awesome. And then there’s a chance we could get Nendoroid releases of the boys… I gotta stop dreaming now, it’s bad for my heart. :skull_and_crossbones:

Oh-ho, excellent; I’ll hold you to that!

2 Likes

my thoughts exactly! :rofl:

I want it, but also know, that the voice actors can never be as free in character creation as they are in audio media, that it’s also going to lose some of that emotional genuine shine? Dunno. I find anime grippin and there’s amazing voice acting there as well. But, you can just “tell”, whenever an actor hasn’t been preparing enough, reading the script with a drama CD adaption. You hear every nuance they try to convey. :eyes: It’s just very intimate and there is not place to hide with that!

the stuff that’s excellent, like F&B truly is. It’s hard to improve on that. frankly, I’d prefer for them to make the any anime around the existing audio even, at least to the how long scenes should last and timings of replies.

Drama CDs, has this aspect of pure acting/stage acting to it, because of the format. As much as I never became a particular fan of stage acting, I do appreciate it a lot, when I do experience it. How direct and immediate it is. It’s the same with Drama CDs, I feel. Listening in. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

It occurs to me how appropriate a thought that is, too, considering F&B’s time period, and how popular stage acting would’ve been. Eat your heart out, Kit.

2 Likes

Just a quick heads up for any lurkers here: a new listing for 夏の夜の夢 with the bonus story was just put up! It’s a fairly reasonable price too, imo. 8800 yen might seem like a lot (and it is), but with how little this CD pops up for sale, let alone with the bonus story, I’d snatch it up if I didn’t already own a copy.

2 Likes

Oh by the way, do we have transcripts for the Special CD’s? I was just thinking, I’ll be travelling with a Japanese friend next week, and if there is enough time, maybe I could pester him into helping me transcribe the CD I own (which is the 7-8-9 Special CD)? Would that be of any value?

2 Likes

Yes, that would be immensely helpful! I don’t have scripts for any of the special talks and one of the other gaiden CDs (can’t remember which atm).

2 Likes

I feel like there’s a LOT of work to create a script, so only do this if you really want to. But I’m sure others will find is super helpful if you do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I started listening to the CD I have, and it doesn’t feel massively hard tbh… but I would only write down what they say, I’m not able to assign the utterances to the individual voice actors :sweat_smile:

2 Likes