Finishing WaniKani by... 2077?

This is just a simple progress post - I just want to balance out all the lovely speed demon posts with my ineptitude.
So WaniKani is projecting me to finish by 2077.
And I am happy about that.

It’s been almost 4 years since I started. I bought a lifetime account and dove in. After four years, I was… level 7. So 2077 was, mathematically at least, a realistic assessment.

I spent so many days thinking, “I should probably learn some kanji.” only to open the app, see a few hundred cards, and distract myself as quickly as possible so I didn’t have to feel that shame.

Year one - I leveled up three times
Year two - Another three times…
In year three, I didn’t lay a finger on this Crabigator, but oh man did it continue to haunt my thoughts and conscience.

Two months ago I committed to maintaining 0 reviews and at least a hundred apprentice cards daily, and I’ve leveled up four times since then! That makes this my best year yet, and I’ve got time to level up a few more times at this pace!

For me, it took literally moving to Japan to find the motivation. If you are where I was a year ago, I am sorry if you read this far expecting a motivational speech. I just don’t want to be illiterate now that it is forced upon me.

But that’s okay! Progress is progress! There’s a reason you see so many turtle icons.
So from one turtle to another, good luck fellow grinders. We’ll get there someday as long as we don’t give up. o7

Ps/Edit
Does anyone else have ridiculous projected end dates? You can find this bar on your profile page.

11 Likes

I don’t think that’s an end date, I think that’s the total number of kanji :smiling_face_with_tear:

17 Likes

That’s hilariously obvious now
tenor-740753076

20 Likes

This is so wholesomely funny

11 Likes

I think it’s appropriate that a post about my own ineptitude ended up being based entirely on a mistake.
Nevertheless, I persevere o7

11 Likes

You and Jesus were WK study buddies back in the day… :joy_cat:

9 Likes

On the bright side, with 11 levels in 4 years, that would translate to a finish around 2040, which is much sooner :partying_face:

4 Likes