Find him and kill him

Without being able to back this up at all, I feel like 探す is actually more natural for “find” in this context than 見つける, even though the literal meaning is different.

…「探して殺せ」?

As always, please find and kill me if I’m wrong.

4 Likes

For sure, I wouldn’t bat an eye if I saw it as 探す honestly. It just I personally would have my first guess as 見つける.

the そして seems unnecessary but sure, that would get the point across.

見つける usually refers to the act of discovery, not the process of searching.

8 Likes

Ah level 60. Nice work. Sorry I didn’t notice earlier.
(Sorry about scaring you too.)

1 Like

Which is why it struck me as being off for a command (where what you’re commanding is for someone to search for him, really, even though we’d focus on the result–“finding”–in English).

…Also I was pretty sure I’d heard similar phrases using 探す in media before. I definitely watched a scene with a 「探しに行け!」recently, which 10 times out of 10 I would translate as “(Go) find him!” in English.

What about 「襲って殺せ」
襲う can mean “to hunt down”. Or is it too far away.
And of course since it is Japanese it probably needs something for politeness at the end…
「襲って殺しなさい。」
I thought the same about 見つける as @Leebo so I didn’t choose it for that reason.

奴を探し出して殺っちまえ!

2 Likes

Question: Is this translation of “Find him and kill him” correct? Does it feel like native Japanese?

ヤツ探して殺せ!

彼を見つけて殺しなさい!

Somewhat unrelated, but your friend might enjoy the hashtag #klingonshodo on Instagram. Every day, native Japanese-speaker chaDQI (茶月) posts a piece of Klingon calligraphy with a Japanese translation, and usually some Klingon sentences with Japanese translations, as well.

There is also the Twitter account @theklingonway, which posts quotes from The Klingon Way by Marc Okrand, with Japanese translations and explanations.

5 Likes

I just threw something into Google translate real quick and came up with this:

「あなたが誰なのかわからない。あなたが何を望んでいるかわからない。身代金を探しているのなら、お金がないと言えるだろう。私はあなたのような人々にとって悪夢のようなスキルです。もしあなたが私の娘を手放すなら、それはそれで終わりです。私はあなたを探しません。しかし、もしそうでなければ、あなたを探し、あなたを見つけ、あなたを殺します。」

P.S. Sorry about not being able to more properly contribute to this thread, but upon mentioning klingon, I thought a popculture film reference in Japanese could be an awesome thing to spin on someone.

2 Likes

I understood all of that! :open_mouth: And it keeps the real feeling of the guy being like,
“I’ll just find you and kill you, bro.”

1 Like

Except for Google’s propensity to use the masu form, and “あなた” - it could be a lot rougher.

1 Like

I like the fact that it’s formal.

1 Like

Here’s the official translation, by the way :slight_smile:
https://twitter.com/yougaserifu_bot/status/975326095661711361?s=20

7 Likes

Interestingly, both are used in the Japanese translation of the episode (DS9: Take Me Out to the Holosuite); one in the subtitles, one in the dub. As is often the case in Star Trek, the two versions differ (which is a bit unfortunate for those wanting to use it for shadowing, but it does have the benefit of teaching multiple expressions).

Subtitles:

見つけて殺せ!

Dub: (if I’m hearing it right)

探してぶっ殺せ!

3 Likes

I was wondering if this would come up. It’s in the comic page I posted, but I have never seen it elsewhere to know if it would be appropriate to suggest. I also agree with the suggestion some have made on search rather than find; that just feels right to me (in my limited knowledge).

I feel they went more literal in that sub, and more natural for the dub.

1 Like

I get a similar feeling. I think maybe the sub has a greater focus on translation, and the dub more on interpretation.

I genuinely appreciate having language fanatics that are as crazy as I am =D

1 Like

What might have happened there (I’ve noticed it with the Japanese dubs of American dramas on Netflix) is that the subtitle track is a more literal translation from the English-language script, complete with some slightly unnatural dialogue, while the dub script is further adapted (not only for matching timing, but also for more natural dialogue as delivered by the actors).

1 Like

あいつを探して殺せ!