Finally reaching level Level 17 after 2672 days

I still don’t really know why I’m learning Japanese. I bumped into some NHK basic Japanese tutorials at some point and just kept going, I think. I found WK in some tofugu article, probably.

Haha finding WK through a Tofugu article is exactly what happened to me!

I much prefer gel pens if I have to write.

Fair point, the first thing I thought of when I read this sentence was the infamous "これはペンです” sentence lol

1 Like

My Japanese teacher for the two classes I took in college suggested it to me, because I kept bugging her to use kanji during lessons. As for Japanese, I went to China when I was a kid and really enjoyed it and consequently got into C-pop, and then around that time also discovered manga, and decided I might as well learn 'em both (but only put real effort into the latter)!

I use Bunpro, Kamesame, and both the 総まとめ and 新完全 series. Plus, I really love the Read Real Japanese books.

1 Like

My Japanese teacher for the two classes I took in college suggested it to me

That’s awesome! I never would have guessed. Really cool though, I hope more and more Japanese teachers know about and suggest WK.

I use Bunpro, Kamesame, and both the 総まとめ and 新完全 series. Plus, I really love the Read Real Japanese books.

Sounds like you have a wide variety to work with! I’ve heard of Bunpro a lot, but never used it, I’ll have to look up the other ones. I have one or two of the Read Real Japanese books and they’re great!

1 Like

I’d definitely recommend the 新完全 series. I study those the most. Also, I think so far there’s only two RRJ books, so you’re up to date, lol. Actually within those four years where I messed around after making a WK account I weirdly decided that the best way to learn kanji was from those books (the RRJ ones). Why? I don’t know, I’m just stupid, and kanji’s hard.

1 Like

I’d definitely recommend the 新完全 series

I’ll definitely take a look!

I think so far there’s only two RRJ books

Then I probably only have one, I think I have one or two other books that are of similar format. I’ll have to check my bookshelf later

I don’t know, I’m just stupid, and kanji’s hard.

1. Kanji is hard, yes 2. you aren’t stupid, those books do have kanji so it’s not the worst way to learn!
1 Like

Best of luck to you!! All progress is great progress :smiley:

2 Likes

That book is evil! And old! I used it in 1994 :grimacing:

2 Likes

Welcome… back! :crazy_face:

Here is the thing about what you have done: you accomplished something. You may have lost your way, but you are here now and back to learning!

No one can tell you to keep at it and make you keep at it but… keep at it and get to the top of that Kanji mountain! If you keep climbing you’ll get there, even if you stop on the mountain at points to enjoy the views!

1 Like

I can! @Shirinai, I hereby challenge you to a race to level 60! I must warn you I keep a very fast leveling pace of like one level every twenty days (What!? Intense speed! :hot_pepper::hot_pepper::hot_pepper:) until I crash and burn and reset to level one. But this time that’s definitely not happening, uh-uh. Last one who reaches 60 is a bunch of spoiled eggs :thinking:.

You may think you have an edge on me, being ten levels ahead, but I have a secret weapon uh, hidden, 'round here somebouts… I’ll surely reach level 17, someday. Any day now! According to my predictions my level 17 will happen around May 2021

Every time I level now I’ll come back here and ping you. And every time you level, you’ll ping me. Of course, you’re free to decline this challenge. If I’m being honest I’m doing this equally as much for me as for you. Let me know if it bothers you.)

I imagine it would have been a painful book to use in a classroom setting. So much drilling! So many nuances. But if you’re going through it at your own pace, it’s not so bad… I think. Probably still a little bit evil, yes!

Well. Yes. There’s no denying that, for sure.

6 Likes

I hereby challenge you to a race to level 60

The race is on!

Last one who reaches 60 is a bunch of spoiled eggs

There is nothing I fear more than becoming a spoiled egg, let alone a whole bunch. You have given yourself a severe handicap by incentivizing me to such a degree.

Every time I level now I’ll come back here and ping you. And every time you level, you’ll ping me

I declare this challenge officially accepted. I look forward to your pings. Though I can see it clearly, just as you write the post to notify me of your ascension to level 59, I will be pinging you in victory after claiming the crown of level 60.

8 Likes

I always think of Crocodile Dundee when I hear kóre wa pèn desu.

This is one of many very likely outcomes. Well, en garde!.

Oh and for those not in the know:

4 Likes

Ping. I just now reached level 7, and I estimate reaching level 8 around the 13th of November. :nerd_face:

Actually, looking at the amount of lessons I have, I think it might be later. But we’ll see.

3 Likes

Impressive, very impressive. I have completed one kanji towards level 18. However, I have been doing all my reviews every day, and completing 10 new lessons every day. I have no estimate for the time until completion.

1 Like

I usually only do like 6-9 lessons each day, so that’s a good pace. Well, good for you, not for my spoiled-egg sorry ass. :upside_down_face:. You’ll plow into new kanji in no time at all!

1 Like

Congratulations -

As someone brand new this post made me realize Wanikani has been around a lot longer than I thought, now mildly upset with myself I didn’t find it sooner, might have saved me a second aborted attempt at Remembering the Kanji.

Anything in particular that has sidetracked you/brought you back during your 2600+ days here?

1 Like

Generally, very busy times of my life have sidetracked me quite easily. Moving and refurnishing my home sidetracked me the first time, and my masters thesis sidetracked me the second time. I think the biggest problems isn’t that I was sidetracked, it was that even after I finished these other arduous tasks, I didn’t return to studying Japanese.

For me, at least, this has been mostly on whim.

Diligence and a clear plan, that’s the only real solution I’ve found.

1 Like

Interesting, I heard that learning Grammar in the JLPT order isn’t very efficient. I’m just starting out, so every book tip is welcome - what was it for you that made the books worth it?

Usually when I get busy with work or school or hobbies, or go on vacations. Then once I get sidetracked for more than a couple days I just forget and it snowballs.

I either have more free time and use it for WK, or I just suddenly remember and decide to make time for it again.

1 Like

Sounds similar to things that have sidetracked me from previous attempts at RTK etc, hopefully this goes better.

Did you originally get a lifetime sub or did you quit/res-ubscribe multiple times?

Do you have a lifetime sub or did you let your subscription lapse then renew it when you have time for it again?

1 Like