Finally going to Japan!

Definitely no shortage of oranges! Yes, I agree it is very lovely here. The lifestyle is pretty laid back, too. I reccommend Shikoku to anyone! Also, imotake parties!

1 Like

いいăȘ :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

Thanks Jonny- very encouraging. And we already have a 3 night reservation in Matsuyama!
It is during Golden week though, will we finds things impossibly crowded, do you think? Any tips?

1 Like

Personally I like to travel during golden week because you can often see things that wouldn’t happen in the regular work week. It’s a fairly busy place generally speaking but it shouldn’t be overwhelming. There is a tram service that runs through the city so that makes getting about pretty easy. The tram is 180 yen per trip and is paid into a recepticle when you get off. Here s a URL for more info - All aboard! â™Ș Tram trips around Matsuyama City ① | Matsuyama, Shikoku, Japan | The Official Website of Tourism Matsuyama. And there are lots of malls and shopping centers right in the central part of the city. Oh, and you can take the tram pretty much to Dogo onsen with a little bit of a walk. I wish you guys all the best with he trip! Oh and one more thing, there is a ropeway to get up to Matsuyama castle if you are looking for slightly more chill adventure.

2 Likes

Yes I def want to check Bookoff out!!

1 Like

Also going to Japan for the first time this year, it’s what inspired me to finally hit WK running after putting it off for a while. Did 3 years in 性歊 but it’s been almost 10 years since then. Planning on visiting Takayama, Kinosaki, Kyoto and Tokyo I think. Not sure what to do in some of those places yet.

I’ve visited Bookoff in New York City and also in Tokyo.

It’s a great place to find inexpensive reading material (although at my current ‘advanced beginner’ level of Japanese, most any Japanese bookstore will feel a bit daunting - Kinokuniya may be a bit of an exception because of the breadth of material that they stock, at least in the New York City store, haven’t visited one in Japan).

I haven’t let that discourage me, though - for example, I spent half a day wandering around new and used bookstores in Jinbocho, the Tokyo bookseller neighborhood near the universities (and also the home turf of Jashin-chan, but that’s a totally different story - yes, I’ve just outed myself as an anime enthusiast).

1 Like

1 Like

How wonderful! I love bookstores in any country! I can’t wait to check it out. I am beginner also, but hope to find a grade 1/2 level book with furigana. One day, one day we too will be able to read at higher levels. I have hopes!

If you go to the smaller restaurants you might be able to start a conversation with someone. Japanese people tend to be very pleased, happy, and encouraging if a Gaijin tries to pick up a conversation. Just make sure to do a bit of research on business card protocol.

I’m currently living in Fukuoka, Kyushu - you’re going to have a great time in Japan and visiting is an awesome way to boost your Japanese skills. (Especially in Kyushu vs. Tokyo since there are a lot fewer people to speak English with).

Improving your Japanese ideas:

• Read the signs whenever you can
  • Read menus + take pictures and then study back at your hotel to get familiar with the different food types
  • Visit a yatai and don’t be shy to strike a convo with others. A great way to practice basic convos
  • Go to bars (not international ones)
  • If you can speak a little Japanese, locals are generally curious and will talk to you more so just go out and talk. (Shopping - inquire about a product, eating - ask about the food
)
  • The bookstores are a great place to get mangas and books in Japanese. (Just make sure to get something appropriate for your level). Graded readers are also good and how I started getting into reading. They are much cheaper here than abroad I think.
  • If the place you are staying has a TV, tuning in is a good way to learn too! The comedy shows are strange but entertaining and have subtitles which is great for reading practice.
  • You can also tune into Japanese radio if you want good listening practice. ( NHK’s らじるらじる is good)
  • If you need a translation app, use DeepL, not Google Translate. (Google Translate is only good for the picture translation imho).

Some more general ideas for studying while in Japan here!

If you need Kyushu travel ideas I have lots of those too :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Oh thanks for the Kyushu ideas!! I’m headed there next month.

Having lived in Japan for 7 months my advice would be to just enjoy Japan and not worry how well you think you should be speaking.

If you’re more of a reader than a collector, the chain BOOK OFF has plenty of 110憆+ used manga volumes that would be $10-ish a piece licensed in English. They make “whole series” packs, too. I could walk into mine in my small Chiba town and grab the entirety of Hokuto No Ken for like 4000憆

If it gets too annoying to carry around you could always mail a box to yourself using the slowest (2 months) option

Kyushu
 if you ever get the idea to go hiking on Yakushima, just know that past the first few sections with nice stairs and stuff, it gets hardcore. You’ll be walking on old train tracks above huge drops, inching your way on narrow rocky passages, grabbing ropes for short actual rock climbing sections, and that’s just the casual run up to the big tree the local grandpas and grandmas do for fun. Don’t have a bunch of useless heavy stuff in your backpack like I had :stuck_out_tongue:
Oh yeah and if you get to the first sleeping hut and it’s like 3pm and you feel like you can keep going to the next one before dark, don’t.
Worth it though

1 Like

Or, go shopping towards the end of your trip rather than the start. :stuck_out_tongue:

Like, the entirety of Hokuto no Ken?

1 Like

That would make a better story, but nah, Just my laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

I legit thought it was going to be a chill scenic walk, lol