Filtering reviews by type

Does anyone know if there is a way (perhaps via userscript?) to filter or order the types of reviews? What I mean is, reviews have 音読み, 訓読み, meaning, vocabulary, and spelling all mixed in together. Because of that, I find myself sometimes making forced errors, in that I’ll type the wrong answer for what WaniKani is asking for at the time. Usually, it’s good about saying “we want the kun’yomi here,” or whatever, but sometimes I still end up giving the wrong answer because I thought it was looking for something else.

It just gets really distracting and disorienting always having to check whether it’s kanji meaning, kanji reading, vocabulary meaning, spelling etc. I think it would go a lot smoother and I’d make fewer dumb mistakes if I could do all review items in those categories at a time. So for instance, knock out all the 音読み to be reviewed, then do 訓読み/vocabulary, then do kana spelling, etc.

I’ve looked through the help information available and aside from references to userscripts, I haven’t seen anything like that available.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to filter or categorize review items this way?

1 Like

Given the amount of topics I see on the forums about this, I think learning about on’yomi and kun’yomi early on is causing more trouble than help.

I think it’s important to recognize that Wanikani does not categorize reviews by on’yomi and kun’yomi, they separate them by kanji and vocabulary. The reading they choose for the kanji reviews is often on’yomi, but is also kun’yomi a lot of the time. Vocabulary reading depends on how the Japanese people read that kanji when found in context as a word, which could also be either on’yomi or kun’yomi, it depends on the history of the word.

When doing reviews:

• A purple screen indicates a vocabulary review, which means you’re looking at a real Japanese word and almost always has only one correct way to be read.
  • A pink screen indicates a kanji review. Each kanji can have many different readings, but WaniKani wants you to select one of the ones they taught, which is the most common reading of the kanji when it is found in a variety of words.

There are userscripts which will let you select and order your reviews. I don’t use scripts, myself, so I don’t know a lot about them. You can search the forums for the “reorder script”, I think that’s the one that is closest to the feature you’re looking for.

10 Likes

@TheCodingFox did a great job explaining things so I don’t have much to add.

I would just advise you to read through all of this: https://knowledge.wanikani.com/ as it will help ease a lot of the confusion new users have about the Wanikani system.

1 Like

I agree. besides the rules for on’yomi and kun’yomi have too many exceptions to be relied on.

Personally I stopped keeping track of what is on’yomi and kun’yomi. I just memorize the readings without cataloguing them.

None of the reorder scripts that I know of reorder by reading type. I did a quick check and found nothing.

1 Like

You can judge for yourself when WK is being annoying and marks you wrong for a potentially correct answer by just using rfindley’s double-check script. Aside from that you can use reorder ultimate 2.0 to get most of the reordering power you seem to want (I’m not sure if it can sort by kun and on, though).

I think one thing you can consider is that a lot of the items at lower levels have mixed readings because both on and kun are common, such as 人 or 口. At higher levels this is not really a thing anymore, as you start to encounter kanji which only have on readings or whose kun readings are only variations of verbs with okurigana. As such, the proportion of kanji you learn that have their primary readings set by the WK team as kun will decrease as on readings become more common.

I had a similar grievance at lower levels, because prior to starting WK I knew about 150 kanji with a jumble of on and kun readings. This eventually ceased to be a problem when the aforementioned drop-off in frequency and kun readings meant that in the levels after about 10 or so you can easily expect to find that almost all of the kanji on a level are given the on reading by the WK team.

(I’m not sure if this is what your problem is, but a lot of people seem to have trouble with it, so I’m leaving the following part in.)

One trick you can do is to try to grasp the differences in the phonologies of native Japanese words 和語 and Chinese origin words 漢語. Typically you will find that, since most on readings were imported from China during the MC period, the syllable structure and general “sound” will reflect the Japanese perception of those loanwords at the time. You eventually come to grasp the patterns: りゅう, きゅう, しゅう, and those “little ゃゅょ sounds” are very common in 漢語, but not necessarily in 和語*. Almost all (afaik) on readings are only one or two syllables long, thanks to the phonology of MC. Other examples are こう, とう, よう. Presumably the double syllables came from when the original MC syllable ended in a type of consonant, as in しゃく (尺 series) or はく (白 series), but this is speculation.

Conversely native Japanese nouns have pretty open syllables, at least from what I’ve seen. 心, 霜, 雨, 鰐蟹… similarly 和語 compounds will have distinct phonological patterns and shifts. For example, 言葉 is not ことは but ことば, because of rendaku, which happens quite often with 和語 but more rarely with 漢語.

*do correct me if I’m wrong. Not a linguist.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, everyone–especially the tip regarding the double-check and reorder scripts, Zeiosis.

I probably should have mentioned originally that I don’t struggle with 音読み vs. 訓読み, or the idea that kanji have multiple readings (面・めん・おも・おもて・つら is a personal favorite) or meanings. To be honest, I probably shouldn’t be using WaniKani in the first place, as I already know most of the 常用漢字 and words spelled with hundreds of others. I wanted to use the site for practice, so I’ve been racing through the lower levels because it’s all review for me. I suppose that might be part of my problem.

I think the userscripts might be just what I needed. Thanks again!

If you’re aware of the difference between a vocab review and a kanji review by the color of the card (purple vs pink), you should have a lot less trouble with which reading you’re being quizzed on. Did you get a chance to look at the knowledge base I linked?

Yeah, I had already reviewed the help sections WaniKani makes available before I posted. I didn’t find what I was looking for (it’s pretty basic). I looked over some userscripts, though. I found a few that I think will be a big help.

Just to close the loop on this thread for anyone who comes along later, rfinley’s Double Check script is working like a charm for me. It allows you to undo simple mistakes like typos or misunderstanding what WaniKani is looking for in terms of an answer. I heartily recommend it. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.