February 18 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(44) - added しつ to on’yomi readings.

(18) - added “announcement” to allow list.

(9) - changed radical breakdown from “horns”, “king” and “big” to “sheep” and “big”, and updated meaning and reading mnemonics and hints.

(21) - changed radical breakdown from “horns”, “king” and “next” to “sheep” and “next”, and updated meaning and reading mnemonics and hints.

Vocabulary

摘む (36) - added つまむ to reading warning list.

飽食 (56) - added “plenty” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and updated context sentence translation.

(2) - added と to the reading warning list.

二番 (8) - added “number one” to block list.

大騒ぎ (32) - added “clamour” to the allow list.

常に (17) - added “normal” to block list.

大衆 (28) - added “general populace”, “the masses” and “people” to allow list.

早口 (6) - added はやぐち to reading warning list.

無菌 (45) - moved “sterilised” and “pasteurised” to allow list.

口にする (4) - added “to leave” to block list.

(38) - added “contract” to block list.

離れる (31) - added “to stay away” to allow list.

交通 (7) - added “transportation” to allow list.

産業 (22) - added “industrial” to allow list.

自宅 (23) - added “own home” to allow list.

公示 (22) - added “public notice”, “official notice” and “official announcement” to allow list.

施行 (23) - updated meaning and reading explanations.

天皇 (33) - added “heavenly emperor” and “tennou” to allow list.

確かめる (22) - moved “to make certain” to allow list, added “to make sure of something”, “to verify something” “to confirm something” “to check” “to check something” and “to make sure” to allow list, and added two context sentences.

繊細 (53) - moved “slim”, “subtle” and “sensitive” to allow list, added “delicacy”, “fineness” and “exquisite” to allow list, and added “fiber” to block list.

画廊 (31) - added “art gallery” to allow list.

左遷 (59) - added “promotion” to block list.

場合 (14) - added ばわい to reading warning list.

台詞 (23) - added “lines” to allow list and added two context sentences.

備える (23) - added “to prepare” and “to install” to allow list and added two context sentences.

増やす (23) - added “to decrease” and “to decrease something” to the block list.

理由 (7) - added “motive” and “excuse” as alternative meanings, updated meaning explanation, and updated a context sentence translation.

理性 (14) - moved “understanding” to allow list, added “rationality” to allow list, updated meaning explanation.

31 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

4 Likes

Thank you, Jenny! :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, Jenny

1 Like

Thank you, Jenny :smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Jenny! Time to relearn 交通 I guess :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Would anyone be willing to explain the breakdown of the change from “horns” and “king” to “sheep”?

I’m only learning kanji through Wanikani but I’m wondering if there’s a greater context I might be missing.

Is this a stroke order thing maybe? Or is it simply to have less radicals making up the kanji, and thus hopefully easier to remember?

Less radicals basically, easier to remember mnemomics and looks cleaner

3 Likes

I’m a little annoyed about the 美 mnemonic changing, 'cause the original mnemonic was from a well-known story and therefore was easier to remember. I guess I can live with this radical breakdown though. It looks cleaner, which helps with memorization in its own way.

1 Like

Thank you, Jenny!

1 Like

You can still use the old one for yourself if it helps you :slight_smile:

You can even add a meaning note!

3 Likes

Hi @VisitsFromTheIsnt, if you’d like to add the old mnemonics to your notes, they are:

Meaning Mnemonic

A beast king with big horns marries a true beauty. The big horned king may look like a beast, but the beauty loves him for what’s inside. That is where true beauty lies.

Hint
I’m sure you know of Beauty and the Beast. Remember that movie? Think of the king and his big horns. And remember the beauty that loved him.

Reading Mnemonic

Beauty and the who? Beauty and the Beast (び). The Beast. That’s right. Beauty and the Beast! How could you forget?

Hint
It’s a Disney movie. Everyone knows about it. How many times have you seen it? Remember the movie Beauty and the Beast.

6 Likes