[Feature Request] Unlock any item

a kind of… secret ring of hell level, I like it.

5 Likes

Apprentice 5! Guru 3!

2 Likes

Personally I want an SRS interval of like 40 years so I can be all, “What is this Japanese thing again?” Then suddenly remember and go, “The Crabigator calls!”

tumblr_olk1sw7lxJ1vaigheo1_1280

15 Likes

Maybe it only timed when it was in enlightened or something, because it would stop many random lucky guesses.

1 Like

The ashes of bygone turtle shells swirl beneath you. The wind settles down and only the twinkling lights in the sky remain. Your ashes have become stardust. Welcome, my friend. The universe awaits.

3 Likes

Ah yeah, you’re right, that wouldn’t work well with set srs levels. Normally more space between reviews would be a reward but on here it would just cause the item to take longer to complete.

Scrap the whole system and start from zero. Instead use SRS level ranges and name them all after vanilla stuff in my honor. Start off as a seed, then vanilla vine, then to vanilla extract, then to vanilla ice cream, then to a virtual catgirl named vanilla.

3 Likes

What are your thoughts on small amounts of randomization in the SRS so you don’t always review the same items together or in the same order? It could even be only from Guru on so as not to impact the people that tune their level up speed and schedule.

2 Likes

I agree with that!

That could just get annoying for people who always do reviews during a set time of day, especially right before bed. Would be unfortunate for them to wake up to more reviews than usual just because some master items or something got slightly randomized to popping up right after they went to bed.

1 Like

Reading your post I agree with a lot of your points. I have definitely fallen victim to making a correlation between items grouped together that causes me to get items right even though I don’t really know them.

I also wrote up a post recently about how my reviews group up annoyingly at night and some randomization would probably alleviate that.

@Vanilla That’s how iKnow works and I’ve never had any issues personally. Reviews basically show up whenever and I do them at the same times I would if it were on a set schedule.

It’s possible to have the randomized delays be in increments of days to prevent that problem. Would that help?

Personally, my reviews tend to group together into a morning cluster and night cluster, so I’d even be okay with 12-hour increments.

1 Like

But I want my reviews to not cluster :frowning:

ahhh, that’s a hard one. There’s definitely a lot of people who want us go to in the exact opposite direction. It’s one of those things where nobody would be happy. I think at some point we’d improve the SRS to a point where each individual item is adjusting based on performance for that item and associated radicals/kanji/vocab, so things would lose their batchiness a bit, but there would be a reason for it (which would make the other side happier, too). And, it’s actually doing something that’s helpful at the same time. But, it’ll be a while before we look at improving the actual SRS timings. Collecting data, and need to improve a lot of foundational things.

5 Likes

I think something that rewarded fast vs normal speed would be great, though (agree on the ten minute aspect). There are some items I know instantly, and some I have to think about.

Now that some of my items are crawling up to Enlightened, it feels weird that I know some of them so much better than others. I can definitely see myself burning items in a few months which I have to take a minute or two to think over, and I wouldn’t say I ‘know’ those items!

Edit: should have read the more recent comments before jumping in…

Well I think everyone would be happy about the Vanilla themed SRS levels. Don’t just take my word for it, the poll speaks for itself.

• The Vanilla themed levels are a good idea
  • Undecided, but leaning towards “good idea”

0 voters

Also, in addition to my votes, I just want to say, these are probably a terrible idea. Just want to cover all my bases here…

Guess who just got uninvited from my birthday party.

2 Likes

Santa Claus??? why was he invited in the first place? he can be such a jerk some times…

1 Like

How long does it take to collect such data? Do you take into account people resetting their accounts and the current progress they’re making or the overall accomplishments since first joining?

Honestly the only feature I’d kill for is optional furigana in example sentences. More often than not example sentences will use 1-2 words which I haven’t learned yet so I have to “break my flow” to look them up manually.

3 Likes