Extra Study Mode

Love this, thank you so much.

1 Like

After a couple of days of using it, Iā€™ve decided that I love it.

Like some others here, I cherish the S in SRS and place a value on it. But at the same time, I have some seriously evasive leeches and this feature adds a bit of hope for me on that last point :sweat_smile:

For now, Iā€™m doing extra study right after my lessons/reviews to see what I would get wrong twice in one sitting --yikesā€“, or when the review timing is off (e.i. review it in two hoursā€¦ but itā€™s midnight and I need to sleep, so letā€™s look at recently learned)!

4 Likes

I have to say I use this feature even more than I thought I would. While I appreciate the long term SRS intervals as they are I found myself making good use of getting a lot more repetitions within the first day of doing lessons - especially for kanji items :+1:

Never engaged much in leech training as I just let the SRS sort it out but maybe now Iā€™ll use this feature for that as well.

3 Likes

Prior to this being released, Iā€™d been using the self-study quiz userscript every day for ā€œextraā€ study.

Specifically, I used the Ganbarometer to launch self-study for items in apprentice stages 1 and 2, this is roughly equivalent to ā€œRecent Lessonsā€ for me.

Having now used Extra Study Mode for a few days, the main thing I miss is the ability to ā€œre-quizā€ only the items I answered incorrectly. (On the other hand, Extra Study also makes it trivial to quiz myself on recent mistakes, something Iā€™d not been doing but now value).

Immediately after leveling up, I often have a fairly large number of ā€œRecent Lessonsā€. A majority of these often seem easy because they are familiar or easy to recognize vocabulary from the prior level. Inevitably, though, a smaller fraction are difficult and need more iterations.

With the self-study userscript, Iā€™d developed the habit of going through one round, almost always missing at least a few items, sometimes many. Iā€™d then ā€œre-quizā€ on just the items I missed, sometimes multiple times if I still made mistakes. Finally, Iā€™d restart the quiz entirely (hitting the enter key instead of the ā€œre-quizā€ icon on the summary screen). Iā€™d repeat this process until I could get through all items without missing any.

Re-quizzing with just the items I answered incorrectly was a huge time-saver. Right now, for example, I have 46 items in stages 1 and 2 after doing just five lessons. If I were to quiz myself tomorrow morning, Iā€™d probably miss two or three of the five new vocabulary items I just lessoned today. Iā€™d probably also miss two to six or so of the vocabulary items. Re-quizzing just those six or eight items during the middle rounds is much faster than going through all 46 items each time.

Often, the ones I miss are conceptually similar and easy to confuse items that WK seems to intentionally introduce at the same time (e.g. ę…°č¬ā€¢ę…°å•ā€¢ę…°å®‰ consolation/condolences/solace ā€” donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m glad these are introduced at the same time!).

Anyway, the lack of this ā€œre-quiz missed itemsā€ feature is enough to keep me using the self-study userscript for ā€œRecent Lessonsā€ (really stage1-2 items).

Iā€™m undecided whether to use extra study mode for ā€œRecent Mistakesā€ or whether to configure the self-study userscript for items I failed on the last review. Iā€™d also appreciate the ability to re-quiz just the missed items during a ā€œRecent Mistakesā€ session as well, though.

6 Likes

This is a welcome but long, long overdue additional feature. Itā€™s a step in the right direction, but I think it needs to be more customizable. For example, a practice and review feature just for kanji, just for vocabulary, and just for radicals would be nice. Also, I wish there was a review feature for BURNED items, customizable by level. I would love to go back, when I have time on weekends, etc, and be able to review burned items to ensure that I still know them. I am always worried that as I burn items and will never see them again that I may forget them. Customizable reviews by type (kanji, radical, vocab) and level would be very welcome features. Iā€™d even be willing to pay more for the feature. $9.00 is a very good price for this program; additional features would be worth more, IMO. However, kudos for finally adding a review feature.

9 Likes

This is brilliant. I will certainly use it a lot as I donā€™t have a scrip.
It would be nice to revisit burned items at some point.
Thank you WK.

2 Likes

I really love this idea of having burned words to review divided into levels and that categories: Kanji level 1, Vocabulary level 1. That would be so great cause as of right now I have WaniKani Kanji 1-5 (in 5 separate decks) and WaniKani Vocabulary 1-5 (also in 5 separate decks) which gives me in Renshuu 10 schedules and it will only get more cluttered overtime. The idea of having them in bite size pieces like this in WaniKani to review for burned ideas would be great.

3 Likes

This was a nice surprise add!
Love the ā€˜recent mistakesā€™ option especially :heart:

2 Likes

I LOOOVE this!!! Itā€™s WONDERFUL for those of us who have a mind like a steel sieve! Thank you SOOO MUCH!!!

1 Like

Thank you so much for this feature! I had taken a couple of months off, and while I came back in January this year, I had quite the back log of over 130 lessons piled up. I was slowly doing one lesson at a time, since I didnā€™t necessarily remember everything when I came back. With the ability to review newly learned items, I finally got the confidence to just go through my lessons over a few days knowing that I could review them and get more comfortable with the material. This feature has made a world of difference for me in just a few days, just getting rid of my monstrous back log alone has really improved my mentality and revived my excitement. Thanks again.

1 Like

I love the recent study mistakes until now :smiley: For me it feels especially good that it also doesnā€™t count on your review level if you get something wrong, so if you did you can just practice again

2 Likes

This is absolutely awesome! I wish it had been there when i started. I am actually considering a resā€¦ no, probably not. But this is GREAT! Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Today I noticed what appeared to be a button below my kanji listā€¦

Hovering over the little space between the kanji indicated a new native feature. Yeah!!

However the layout appears broken. I use the term broken rather loosely here not to imply blame. Iā€™m sure itā€™s related to a userscript Iā€™m running, although I havenā€™t started a bisecting removal yet to figure out which one, but intuition tells me itā€™s the legacy review/lesson count rewriting. Yeah, I absolutely hated the space wasting big pictures they moved to a year or so back. Sorry WaniKani, still love you, itā€™s just that screen real estate is a finite resource.

Anyone seeing this as well?

1 Like

I believe that is caused by my Lessons & Reviews In Header script. Itā€™s already fixed so if you just update it should be fine

1 Like

Iā€™m using this one, which doesnā€™t appear to be @Kumireiā€™s.

Maybe I should switch?

2 Likes

I see, it just does the same thing. You can either switch or I think switch out dashboard-progress for extra-study in your script

1 Like

Thank you for this!!! Iā€™ve gotten so far behind I didnā€™t think Iā€™d ever catch up (1300+ reviews). Extra study is helping me relearn items that are on the edge of my memory. Iā€™m actually making some progress now, and working through the backlog.

3 Likes

@Mods When extra study times out and you click refresh, it takes you to the reviews page.

6 Likes

Thank you. Itā€™s great. I like that extra study items come in meaning/pronunciation pairs, which gives sessions a different feel to regular reviews, plus faster.
Hereā€™s another way Iā€™d like extra study to be different from regular reviews: At the end of extra study, if I didnā€™t get 100%, Iā€™d like the items I got wrong to come back (just the part(s) of the item I got wrong) so I can get them right and close the session at 100%.

2 Likes

A good option in the future would be a function where real leeches could be placed, things that youā€™ve gotten wrong x amount of times and simply wonā€™t stick, so you can bruteforce them. Because there are some kanji and words that are super rough.

5 Likes