Extra Study Mode

does the extra study time out like the regular reviews do if you idle for too long? having to go through 200+ items in one go can be a lot and i’d like to take breaks

I don’t remember if it has a timeout, but it doesn’t matter because it will still resume where you left off.

It does time out

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the “recent mistakes” option as a way to focus effort where it’s needed and have been using a similar feature on mobile to run a “penalty round” after each study session (when I have time). My only request would be to somehow remove entries before 24 hours has elapsed. For example, over the weekend I might clear 200-350+ reviews in small sessions throughout the day and would prefer to keep the post-session review a bit more constrained to avoid overload (and I’d prefer not to redo 40+ “recent mistakes” just to re-review the 4 items just missed).

Maybe items could be removed from “recent mistakes” once you’ve answered them correctly three consecutive times? Trying to keep this kind of recent mistakes queue at zero would certainly encourage extra study where it’s needed most.

I am totally sure that it would be impossible to imply but I would love to have the ability to continue using Wanikani feeding it with my own vocabulary. Anki is not really working for me.

1 Like

This is currently very much a WIP btw

2 Likes

A work-in-progress solution will help them more than nothing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That’s cool! My first userscript if I can make it work…

2 Likes

Hey there,
it just so happens that recently I have restarted my studying on WaniKani, after I had tried it out once already two to three years ago. While doing the first levels anew, I encounter exactly the same issues with some radicals and kanji I did three years ago!

But I had noticed the Extra Study area and just made use of it. After having worked myself through a bunch of new lessons, it helps a lot to go through the extra study of new items once. Just once! Already made a huge difference.

After some levels the kanji from Guru area came back at me, confusing me with the newer readings and similar radicals I learned in the meantime. But instead of crashing down as horribly as last time, the extra study for recent mistakes helps a lot to jog my memory, learning to make the difference between radicals, on’yomi and kun’yomi reading, and watch out for the little details that make all the difference between books and trees or stones and rights!

So, with this coincidental experience of starting out with and without extra study, I can only express my sincere gratitude for introducing this feature!

13 Likes

Hmm, your Audio Quiz script seems to have suddenly started moving the text to the far left when answering:

Any idea about what the issue could be? I haven’t installed any new scripts recently, so could it be that Wanikani has changed something? If you have some time, would you mind taking a quick look?

1 Like

I cannot replicate this problem. Have you tried disabling all scripts except for Audio Quiz, Open Framework, and Reorder Omega and see if the problem still persists?

Yep, was still happening with everything except those three disabled. But I just got Tapermonkey to check for updates and it seems to have fixed it, I should probably have done that before. Sorry for bothering you!

1 Like

I see Burned Items now as an option for Extra Study. Neat!
However it has an 11 item difference between my stats block. Mysterious…

burned items stat block. 1,160 items burned

4 Likes

It’s so cool that Burns were added, because it tracks what was already done so you can review them over several days without having the risk of stumbling upon one you already did. thanks !

4 Likes

Adding the burns to Extra study really was a genius move. I had recently reset all my progress on Kaniwani just for a chance to see them again. This was after I was reading a sentence and couldn’t for the life of me get to the reading of ato (後)

Praise the Crabigator ( ノ ゚ー゚)ノ

3 Likes

OMG! Just finished some reviews and when back to the Dashboard I saw the new feature in the Extra Study! :heart_eyes:
Thank you WK Team!!! I was so waiting for it!

4 Likes

I have a question though. I just gave it a try and I really like it because after the test I have X out of Y burned items to review.
Now, if I review them all without failing and so there will be no more burned items left to review, will they reset back so that I can do it again when I feel to?

I would really love a way to filter on only kanji items in the Burns section in the extra study mode. Otherwise, great that you added this, thank you!

4 Likes

I had been wondering about that too.

1 Like