Extensive listening thread 👂 (2024)

Watched two episodes of Saiki K. yesterday, I think my problem with watching/listening was that I was trying too hard and I should just relax.

2 Likes

A bit of an oddly sparse update, but here’s a couple things I listened to recently (along with a lot of wrestling)

I didn’t make an entry for it in my backlog, but I finally listened to the audio commentary for Matango! It was kinda neat! I feel like I got about as much out of it as an English audio commentary - which is to say, not that much, beyond a general mild sense of what the production was like. It’s a pity that unlike English commentaries I felt the need to carve out specific time for it instead of listening to it while working (which is the only real reason I get around to listening to any audio commentaries at all). The one bit of trivia I retained is that the mushrooms the characters are shown eating were crafted out of a type of mochi and it sounds like they were quite tasty. There’s a couple brief scenes of mushrooms growing also that it sounds like were a chemical special effect that was quite fun to put together.
In the end I went with watching it during breakfast on a weekend, and I wouldn’t mind pursuing that same timeslot for other commentaries in Japanese in the future.

野良猫ロック ワイルド・ジャンボ
鳥人戦隊ジェットマン

1 Like

I’ve only got accumulated notes for a couple of movies at the moment, but since I posted the notes for the manga version of Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl in the extensive reading thread, I suppose I should put the notes for the movie version down at the same time.

I watched recently:
スウィートホーム
鮫肌男と桃尻女

And incidentally, speaking of the long long overdue for a DVD or blu ray release horror movie Sweet Home – well, it’s a good time to look into it if you’re curious.

1 Like

In my time since the last post I watched some movies:
日蓮と蒙古大襲来
宇宙からのメッセージ
ガメラ 大怪獣空中決戦
8時間の恐怖

and finished a TV show!
ウルトラマン80

1 Like

I have accumulated notes on a handful of movies:
ハウス (watched again with a friend)
ガメラ2 レギオン襲来
プロジェクトA子2 大徳寺財閥の陰謀
殺人拳2
蛇娘と白髪魔
ガメラ3 邪神覚醒

As well as a handful of shows:
ハクメイとミコチ
ダンジョン飯
仮面ライダーV3

Lately I’m starting to finally get closed to finish my first Taiga drama and I’ve been slowing down my Japanese movie watching maybe slightly too much by resolving to read source material first if it’s an adaptation.