Example sentence question

The translation for this sentence says “at home” but as far as I can tell that’s not implied anywhere. Am I missing something?

私の両親はマッサージ業を営んでいるので、私はそこで「マッサージ受け放題」なんです。

My parents run a massage therapy business, so I can get ‘all-you-can-take-massages’ at home.

2 Likes

Yeah same here. It says

“there.” To me, that doesn’t imply anything about “at home,” and 営む doesn’t seem to have any nuance of running a business out of one’s home either

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I thought. It’s not the first time I’ve seen these super liberal translations but I think this is pretty bad for teaching.

1 Like

@Mods ?

Are in home massage parlors even a thing in Japan? Other than the downstairs is a business, upstairs is living space sort of deal?

Most of them I’ve seen are in malls or are “massage” parlors.

1 Like

I feel like it’s one thing if some modifications are made to make it flow more smoothly in English but it still has the same feel/overall meaning, and another if you’re just making up whatever. Like, could the speaker get massages whenever they want at home? Assuming they still live with their parents, sure. But that’s not what they’re saying. It’s at their parents’ business

That’s what I was thinking with the “at home/out of one’s home,” but I guess the business and home would technically still be separate in that sort of arrangement, wouldn’t it

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not really clear from the Japanese whether it really is exactly run at home or not, but the sentence implies it’s a family run business. The exact location is unclear.

Where is this sentence from? What vocab?

Given how WaniKani tends to write example sentences, it only took me two guesses to find it: 営む :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

There’s that level 60 brain at work haha

2 Likes

Is this another strange one?

に、がるものじゃないんですかね。
Dogs are generally scared of cats, aren’t they?

I don’t understand why this is supposed to mean “are, aren’t they?” instead of “aren’t afraid of cats, right?”. This might just be me lacking in nuance reading skills though.

2 Likes

In this case I would lean more towards WK’s translation. You often see じゃないですか used like this as a way of forming a tag question, so instead of treating it as a negation of the preceding phrase, I’d be more inclined to read it as a tag question.

2 Likes

It basically transliterates as “in general, as for dogs, cats scaring them is a thing, isn’t it?” where the tail (ものんですかね) is very literally “because that’s a thing, isn’t it?”. Even without the ね it’s inviting a positive agreement as an answer.

It’s just a thing in Japanese, you often ask questions as (paraphrasing) “is it not a thing that … ?” or “don’t you want to … ?”.

It’s not that odd; in English we often enough ask questions like “Shouldn’t you […]?”, “Isn’t that [neighbour’s cat in our flower bed]?”, … “Why don’t we go to the cinema tomorrow?”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.