"Exam" every ten levels

I could be lvl 60 and know literally 0 grammar. Trust me, there are people like this.

So then again, the idea wouldn’t be a good one.

Please check the resources list in case you might find something you consider useful:

1 Like

No, but you are supposed to study grammar in parallel (it would be absurd to know 2000 kanjis and 6000 words, but not even the most basic grammar to use them).
There are equivalences between WK levels and JLPT/Joyo levels. The same equivalences exist between grammar and JLPT/Joyo levels. For example at wanikani Level 10 you should have studied at least up to JLPT level 5, and just above Joyo G1, so the test should include sentences that require grammar of that level. Even if WK doesn’t teach grammar it uses it in the examples, so it wouldn’t be very different

2 Likes

Perhaps you’re fairly new to studying Japanese, but this becomes less of a problem as you study grammar and have exposure to Japanese.

5 Likes

63 Likes

32 Likes

The whole point of WaniKani is to teach you to recognise kanji. It doesnt even teach you to recall Kanji, that’s why KaniWani exists. Even the vocab there is just to help you remember the readings of the Kanji.

They aren’t trying to make WaniKani an all-in-one platform for learning Japanese, and they also don’t want to insert any sort of walls for people that don’t meet certain requirements. The only requirement for using WaniKani is hiragana, katakana, and a desire to learn Kanji.

Of course, If you want to learn Japanese (like 98% of the people here, you’re going to have to learn grammar at some point, but that’s simply not a priority for a lot of people. That, or they simply don’t have the time to learn both kanji and grammar.

Anyone an exam would benefit should already be doing plenty of reading/listening, which should actively test you on all aspects of the language. If you want more testing, try practice exams for the JLPT.

6 Likes

ehhhhh I’m trying to catch up but it’s just so easy to study Wanikani style and not study other things and the kanji just keep coming so it’s like kanji kanji kanji but super basic grammar on my front.

Do I wish there was a fantastic all in one programme? Yeah. Does it exist? No. I do a little Lingo Deer here, a little Tae Kim there. Had a look at Memrise but ignored it in the end as I’d be starting all over again.

When I started learning Japanese I used a website called Nihongo Master but their review system was awful. The SRS wasn’t done well, so you could burn (or as they called it “master”) a piece of information in 10 days if you did all your reviews. They were multiple choice and there were too many of them, each lesson which taught maybe 5 vocab words and 1 grammatical construct gave you like 40 review items.

1 Like

37 Likes

Exam? that’s when immersion kicks in!! that should be the way to test whatever you learn.
I think it’s too much a risk to get into the illusion that you are getting there (Fluency Town) because you pass yet another exam, a couple more drills, a chapter more in your textbook of choice.
Would understanding any of the sentences that Koichi’s team could come up with represent anything in terms of actually understanding native japanese??
You might try this , you can create your own exam with your own material, and more important… with native content :+1:.
Anyway, just my 2 円

3 Likes

An “ultimate wanikani test” would be fun, but not testing grammar, just testing what wanikani already does, maybe 100 random items. I actually think it is important that WK doesn’t try to take on too much and stays true to what they do well: teaching us to read Kanji.

I can very well see myself getting to level 60 and knowing very little grammar. I enjoy WK too much and i’m learning Japanese for fun rather than necessity, so gravitate towards what i’m enjoying most and go with the flow (and i’m happy with that). No doubt i’ll go back and fill in the gaps later but already my kanji knowledge vastly outstrips every other area of my Japanese learning.

Meanwhile i’m waiting for a grammar resource that is as engaging and exciting as WK is. I want etoeto, sometime in the next month or two would be good Koichi :).

2 Likes

Well, it’s clear from the thread answers that many people have very different learning style from what I took for granted. Japanese is the fourth language I learn, and for each I studied grammar in parallel to new vocabulary (in fact, it’s the first language where I “study” vocabulary, bur the kangi system makes it kinda compulsory), The test I proposed was an optional thing, so people who just want to study kanjis and ignore grammar could have done it anyway, but I can tell that there is very little interest. Too bad, I’ll stick with bun pro for grammar, even if I like it much less than wanikani.

1 Like

I think it is the ‘kanji’ element that makes it this way. I do study grammar, but in small chunks. It’s overwhelming to take in huge volumes of kanji, grammar, and vocab all at once (for me) and i find it much more enjoyable this way. Coming back to basic grammar points is fun and easier when i can understand the kanji finally and don’t see this wall of squiggly lines.

I completed about 15 items on the N5 Bunpro grammar and chapter 1 of genki 1 to give you an idea of where i am. If i go at the same rate i am now i might complete Genki 1 when i’m somewhere in the 50’s levels on WK.

I find it very interesting hearing about the different methods people use for study, it is fascinating.

However, all of this is why i don’t think grammar + wk together would work so well. Definitely the WK folks should get on and open up their grammar site though, i’d be one of their first customers.

2 Likes

Of course you will need to learn grammar, but I don’t think you need to do it via Wanikani specifically.

Wanikani has a limited scope on purpose. It’s not meant to be your one-stop-shop for all japanese learning, but rather focused on doing one thing very well.

Teaching grammar as well would not only be a massive increase in scope, but also something not everyone would want since they are very likely to have their own favorite method of learning grammar, that suits their learning style better. (I’ve tried flash cards with isolated grammar points, and found that it doesn’t stick very well, for instance)

1 Like

Have you tried https://satorireader.com? You can import which WK kanji you already know, and you can see the difficulty to choose something of your grammar level. Seeing the word boundaries comes from practice, but you can also toggle spaces between words there for practice.

[I only tested it with a free account some time ago, but now it seems less scary, maybe I try again :-)]

5 Likes

I had a look at satori reader and it looks very promising. I’ll definitely investigate further :relaxed:

3 Likes

Everyone underestimates the context sentences provided with each kanji. Why don’t you copy them to a seperate file. After level 10 you’ll have dozens with very simple grammar. In most cases you could switch out kanji as well. Or get LingoDeer at level ten, or even duolingo - both free. Koichi offers sentences as well,

Human Japanese is also a great tool. They cost money per device but they are good. As is the one you mention.

Also, there’s this too. Made with WK levels into consideration. :+1:

So I think, wether you want to make your own material (my post), read adjusted to your level (satori Reader) or sentences (Duende), you’re covered to practice with WK kanjis on a graded way. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m sure someone can make a script sort of like Leech Trainer for this very purpose. Or make something that utilizes the API. But they’ll release EtoEto for grammar purposes before too long. There’s way more grammar resources online than Kanji ones. (In my experience)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.