Everyone’s favorite word

毛布 it sounds so warm and fluffy and I want to wrap myself up in it.

3 Likes

I like 震える as well because it sounds like something shaking and its fun to flick your tongue for those るs

4 Likes

As usual, I can never pick one favorite xD

つまらない - because it sounds like the perfect thing to say in a dismissive tone when something’s boring xD

思い出 (おもいで) - because it sounds nostalgic to me. The meaning and the sound go well together. :relieved:

積もる (つもる) - because it makes me think of snow quietly piling up in the woods for some reason. I think it’s because もる is close to もり (森), which is another word I love. It’s a very peaceful image.

僕 (ぼく) - I just like the way it sounds xD It’s my favorite personal pronoun. It’s cute.

3 Likes

I don’t have a Japanese keyboard at work, but my favorite words right now are for heart and homesick. I just love the ring they have to them, they both sound like songs.

1 Like

@Cherrykisu 心(こころ)and 里心(さとごころ)yes?

3 Likes

yes those, thank you!

Weeeelllll,
That’d be 大丈夫 (だいじょうぶ), of course :grin:

2 Likes

I think a lot of my favorite words come from songs where I first heard them.

いずれ - the sound carries a certain wistfulness
ぐちゃぐちゃ - fun to say and it sounds exactly like what it’s describing
炎 (ほのお) - because Shiki sings it so beautifully in his Dance with Devils song

1 Like

Ah that song is amazing! Thanks for sharing that! Haha

1 Like

Mine has got to be 馬鹿. Not for the sound it makes or anything, but because of the story behind it. How an idiot couldn’t tell the difference between a deer and a horse. The history behind these kanji are one of the reasons I love them so much.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of 氷柱 (つらら). It just sounds nice.

I also like that there’s a word for the left over bits of batter after making tempura 天かす and the similar word with a more foul meaning which I will leave for others to figure out.

I just learned 昔話. It has both things I enjoy most about Japanese vocab:
1.) sticking kanji together like puzzle blocks to create a new meaning: long ago + talk = folklore
2.) a funny/cute sound “むかしばなし” (to my ears at least)

So this one will go pretty far up on my favorite word list. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

なつかしい - It rolls off the tongue and has a very…well, なつかしい feeling about it. I end up using it a lot, even though no one else I know speaks or understands Japanese. Since there’s not a good word for it in English, though, what else am I supposed to do? :wink:

2 Likes

黄昏(たそがれ)Used to be pronounced たそかれ, which I love even more, but it was changed to たそがれ in the Edo period. I just love the way it sounds, and twilight/dusk is one of my favorite times of day, so I like the meaning too.

1 Like

地球温暖化. It’s just fun to say for some reason.

希望 「きぼう」Hope.

Also 運命 「うんめい」Destiny (because of Heroes???)

1 Like

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/懐かしい

Try this on for size.

1 Like

Thank you for teaching me this word!

1 Like

My favorite is 小さな,but I also love 時々、にゃんこ、ワンちゃん
I specifically love 小さ as a “na” adjective instead of an “i” adjective
小さな has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

#blackswansmatter :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes