"Every Month" kanji description error

Ups, I overwrote it :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean it doesn’t accept まいがつ as a valid spelling. If it’s due to the “げつ if the answer isn’t a number” rule, then it shouldn’t say both are correct in the description.

1 Like

Both onyomi まい + げつ, in contrast to onyomi and kunyomi まい + つき. As I understand, the description is correct.

4 Likes

Is there really no rule that you change the second character a bit if they are to be read together? There are plenty of cases of this like さとごころ or きょうだい. Or is it an exception thing. I guess it might be this “to do with numbers” thing. That’s why there no change in さんせい or しかく.

1 Like

“But it can be read まいげつ using both on’yomi readings too.”

It evidently means both on’yomi readings (plural)

1 Like

That’s something different, called rendaku (and きょうだい isn’t an example of rendaku, btw). Having a different reading and having rendaku are different concepts.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not saying there are multiple readings, I’m just trying to find a rule for when there’s a change in on’yomi when used with another and when there isn’t.

1 Like

Okay… it’s kind of hard to keep track of what you’re asking about, because the original topic of the thread is about the wording of the description (which is correct, but I can see why it was confusing to you).

Then you started to ask about which reading to choose when a kanji has multiple possible readings.

And now you’re asking about rendaku.

6 Likes

So what’s this rendaku thing? And how is it different from what I described?

2 Likes

Rendaku is like when こころ becomes ごころ when it follows something else. The “ren” in rendaku refers to the “continuation” part (it has to follow something else) and the “daku” part of rendaku refers to the change from こ to ご or た to だ, etc.

So some readings that don’t have those dots, get them when they follow something else.

Other readings always have the dots no matter what, and so we don’t say it’s rendaku for those.

2 Likes

I disagree, it clearly says both on’yomi readings are acceptable, not that both kun’yomi and one of the on’yomi, but whatever

1 Like

No, it says that there are two options まいつき (which is onyomi + kunyomi) and まいげつ (which is onyomi + onyomi) and either are acceptable.

6 Likes

So there’s no rule for why it happens in さとごころ but not in さんせい?

1 Like

There are rules of thumb, sure. But it’s not related to this thread’s questions.

4 Likes

Or are さん and せい treated as separate words?

2 Likes

Ok, I shouldn’t mix the topics, sorry about that

1 Like

Well, the wording of “using both on’yomi readings too” clearly suggests the other option. Try writing “both the on’yomi reading too” (singular, not plural)

1 Like

Or even better without “both”

1 Like

But まい and げつ are both onyomi readings… That’s what the both refers to.

Like I said, I get why you were confused. And I don’t disagree that it could be reworded, but it isn’t incorrect technically.

I guess it’s not that important at this point though.

8 Likes

Ah, ok, I see what you mean, yeah I didn’t even consider that’s what it meant

1 Like

Then it should probably be “using the on’yomi readings of both” in that case

1 Like