Error in 見当たる translation

This sentence is found for 見当たる

Shouldn’t this be “On a rainy day, you see some absent people?”. I don’t see any “not” (negation) in this sentence.

The correct Japanese sentence for the English one would be

雨の日はクラスに行かない人が見当たる。

Or am I mistaken? (or nitpicking? :P)

1 Like

“people not coming to class” is essentially the same as “absent people” so no, this isn’t an incorrect translation, just an interpretation that chooses English that flows a little better.

9 Likes

never paid attention to these sentences because they have loose translations and crazy context.

You could use bunpro for more “on point” translation for sentences.

I don’t often rely on the context sentences provided by WaniKani during my lessons or reviews. How are the ones on Bunpro more “on point”?

they come from books like genki, minna no nihongo, tobira, sou matome, shin kanzen master

so they are the real deal,

not made up sentences with some random sentences maker

1 Like

I mean, I presume the context is that you’re walking to class, and you see some of your classmates walking the other way. You see people, and those people are missing the class. Or will be.

Saying that you see people who are absent is awkward in English. You’re seeing people who aren’t there.

The other day upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there.
He wasn’t there again today.
Oh, how I wish he’d go away.

You, uh… you do realise that Genki et al made up all their sentences too? Like, they don’t just spring fully formed from the ancient sages. WaniKani is just a bit more casual about it.

In fact, all words are made up.

4 Likes

Even if they are, sentences coming from textbooks or any other resources are not necessarily better or have any more guarantee to not also be generated in some way; even if they claim otherwise you’ll simply have to trust that they didn’t.

And the translations aren’t really that loose. Sometimes there will be a choice I would have done differently but that doesn’t make it a bad translation, they are mostly fine overall. And the “crazy context” as you put it is often intentional to help with internalizing the semantics or nuances, similar to how the mnemonics have crazy context to help with memorization. It is a learning aid, not a demerit on the quality.

4 Likes

It is important to not get hung up on expecting, or trying to force, a 1-to-1/word-for-word translation. Japanese and English are very different and while such translations can be done they will generally lead to unnatural (and sometimes difficult to understand) translations. It is about expressing what it is being said naturally in the other language.

A very basic example, which is pretty much the first sentence anyone learns, shows this quite nicely.

私はマークです。

1-1/word-by-word gives us: “as for me, mark am”. Not very natural English and not even grammatically correct. Most would translate it as “I am Mark”. To get even deeper, some capitalization (which is not present in the original, nor even exists) is added to translation to get correct English.

Whether or not you’re mistaken or nitpicking or neither, thank you for asking this because I was wondering about this sentence too. :blush:

Thank you! So just to make sure I understand it, is it possible to replace the verb by いる?
雨の日はクラスを休む人が見当たる。=
雨の日はクラスを休む人がいる。

Yes, but the meaning is a bit different. “On rainy days, [some] people miss class.” Like, it’s more of a general “they exist” rather than a specific “you see them”.

2 Likes