Equals sign? in newspaper article

I’ve recently begun reading more articles on NHK news, and just now stumbled upon this weird usage of an equals-sign (I think) in an article about the Space X-launch:

“クルードラゴンは31日午後11時半ごろに国際宇宙ステーションに到着する予定です。NASA=アメリカ航空宇宙局は、民間企業の有人宇宙船の開発を後押ししていて、今回は「クルードラゴン」の最後の試験として、初めて宇宙飛行士を乗せて宇宙ステーションにドッキングし、その後、地球に帰還します。”

The portion with the NASA=, is that a shorthand for a relative clause, in English something like “America’s space-agency NASA […]”? Or am I missing the point and it’s just a 2-kanji? Cause it doesn’t look like one :laughing:

Article-link: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200531/k10012452151000.html?i

2 Likes

Yes. アメリカ航空宇宙局 explains what NASA is.

2 Likes

Interesting. How do you read that out loud? :smiley:

It’s not an equal sign, it’s a double hyphen, and this is basically like saying “NASA (The National Aeronautics and Space Administration)”

You don’t say it or pronounce it at all.

14 Likes

No one else has said it, but the double hyphen is basically exclusively used to replace an english hyphen or emdash since they found be confused with ー

3 Likes

I’m terribly sad that you beat me to the punch (by six hours no less) because I just learned this from Persona 5 a few days ago. One of the exam questions had to do with Charles-Henri Sanson, or, as rendered in Japanese, シャルル=アンリ・サンソン.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.