English vs American meanings and weird translations

I was looking at the information about “dasu”. Most English speakers around the world hand in work as opposed to turning it in.

The English version of the venom sentence is just weird… The word order should be changed and “out of” should be “from”:
そのアメリカ人は、あしから二ひきのガラガラヘビにかまれたどくをぜんぶ出した。
That American removed all the venom he got from two rattle snakes out of his leg.

Criminals hand over evidence to the police, or they could hand it in, but to hand it out implies they stood somewhere giving the spoils of their labour to people around them:
どろぼうはぬすんだものをすべて出してくばった。
The thief handed out all the goods he stole.

出してくばる is definitely “hand out” not “hand in”.

It’s a combo of 出す and 配る (to distribute).

So, you can argue it’s a strange sentence but the English means what the Japanese says. Maybe they think they’re like Robin Hood. There’s no mention of police in the sentence.

As for having “hand in” as a meaning for 出す, go ahead and add it as a synonym if you want. They also take suggestions at hello@wanikani.com

I agree that the rattle snake sentence is awkward, but I don’t see anything incorrect about the meaning.

1 Like

British English and American English differences can be fun, sometimes. For example, “moot” in UK English means to bring something up for discussion, while in US English it means it’s academic, there’s no point in discussing it (though to be fair, US usage for this is gradually overtaking UK usage). Similarly, the phrase “to table (a matter)” means to start talking about it in UK English, but stop talking about it in US English.

I’ve never even heard table being used as a verb here in the US.

Yeah, it’s falling out of use a bit. Don’t honestly recall the last time I heard it used here either.

If you are in corporate meetings you will hear it. Or probably any kind of formal meeting with minutes and whatnot.

1 Like

I have often wondered why “moot court” uses ‘moot’ since moot points cannot be raised in court, having already been decided…

1 Like

Also the Ent Moot, in Lord of the Rings.

1 Like

It is a short form of ‘bring to the table’ and is used as an term for putting proposed legislation before the legislature for decision. In Southern Africa the Bill is tabled and, if accepted, will eventually become an Act of Parliament after being enacted.

Brit here and moot is such an archaic word we don’t use it like that, we use it same way you do.

Similarly I’ve never used the verb “to table” to mean to talk about something… you can bring something to the table to talk about it but tabling it definitely means to put aside to talk about later

1 Like

Okay, on the snake, but I am wondering what word would be used if something is handed in (or over) to officials.

Just using 出す alone would be fine in that situation.

1 Like

A wonderful example of how one word can mean two opposite things, although what you call tabling I would refer to as shelving…
My least favourite example is oversight! Someone responsible for oversight should be making sure nothing is over seen…

I think you can interpret that usage of oversight as someone looked up and over a thing as oppose to right at it, therefore they didn’t see it.

Same with overlook.

But both have a secondary meaning that means roughly the opposite so… English is hard yo

1 Like

And Kingsmoot in ASOIAF.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.