*ekg's leech battle blog - a study log of sorts

This level is drawing to a close. That means less reviews and more time to do some extra leech training and trying to bring those numbers down. :weight_lifting_woman: :cat2:

VR1T

I started out with 70-ish leeches with a leech value 2 or higher. That number is now down to 33 leeches! :muscle: But the total number of leeches hasn’t changed that much. Back in early September it was 151 leeches, now that number has shrunk to 130 leeches.

It is an improvement, but I keep getting some old-timers back when failing to burn them. Like “to distribute”: it turned into a “久しぶり” when I wanted to say “さよなら”…>_>

Well, here’s the current leech situation!

My mental goal now is getting the leeches down to a stable <120, because the numbers changes throughout the levels and the best I’ve had I still just 127. Then it goes right back up. I really wanna squash more of them. Preferably, permanently! :triumph:

Gotta stay on target now for the coming days!

bestrong

8 Likes

Tonight, I’m doing a bit of extra celebration. Having posted only yesterday, I was surprised when seeing this moments ago… :eyes:

It’s a record low of 123 leeches the day before level up! :confetti_ball:

Things might go up in the coming days. But, I’m happy about things moving in the right direction! woot! fistpump :tada:

Okay, enough of that. Back to leech training! :weight_lifting_woman:

9 Likes

I leveled up this morning. Did my reviews and lessons in normal fashion. Now, I’m about to start my first reviews of the new items…but, that’s when I had another glance on the Item Inspector: I’m down to 115 leeches now! A new personal best! :partying_face: :tada:

This is my leech situation level 37:

I really feel like I’m finally going places with my leech squashing efforts! yeah! :blue_car:

goingplaces

10 Likes

Good job, keeping smacking those leeches down

5 Likes

6 Likes

ConCATulations :partying_face::kissing_cat:
Keep going :heart_eyes:
PS: I totally blame you for my current Gintama binge :eyes: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It depends on how well your leech squashing is going :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hopefully you’re Sadaharu though :wink:

4 Likes

It’s close to two months now of leech training efforts.

gEzuXdB

I’m slowly getting those leeches (=they only disappear when reaching Enlightened). I’ve reached a new personal best of 105 leeches! :partying_face: :bat:

The most irritating ones are the old leeches, that by now seem to have become fixtures on my WK journey >_>:

配る 【くばる】 (v5r) to distribute, to deliver, (P)
部屋 【へや】 (n) (1) room (especially this one irks me as I fully well know the meaning of へや, but I keep on getting confused by the kanji combination for some reason)

But newer ones can also be a bother when I push them to master, only to fail them suddenly
構造 【こうぞう】 (n) structure, construction, (P) (I confuse it with the various vocab for establishment )

Also, there are way too many words for pure in Japanese
清い 【きよい】 (adj) clear, pure, noble, (P)
潔い 【いさぎよい】 (adj) manly, sportsmanlike, pure, upright, (P)
純粋 【じゅんすい】 (adj-na,n) pure, true, genuine, unmixed, (P)
清潔 【せいけつ】 1. clean; hygienic; sanitary​/ 2. pure; virtuous; immaculate

…or being unpure, but those I have less problem with for some reason! :joy:

In any case, I was expecting a rise in leech numbers. But, It might happen in the coming days as there are plenty of upcoming burn reviews. :fire: I’ll be fighting hard to not bring any leeches back into the review pile. :boxing_glove:

tenor

10 Likes

Cool! A Batman word cloud! I like it.

I don’t know about your settings but there is a feature of the default one that you need to be aware of. I have set a SRS filter in the leech table to automatically remove from the leech table items that have reached enlightened regardless of the leech value. The reason if if you get an item wrong enough times the leech formula will never bring the item below the leech threshold before you burn the item. I assume that if you can bring an item to enlightened it is likely not a leech anymore no matter what the leech formula says, so I added this feature to the leech table.

If you don’t like this feature you may change it. You go to the filter settings and look for the SRS Level filter. You will see all the SRS levels that are eligible for a leech turned on. You may turn on enlightened as well if you want. Just make sure to leave Burned off, otherwise you may end up with burned leeches that you will never be able to get rid of.

3 Likes

Your script is super-sophisticated! :blush: Thanks again for the tips!

Yeah. There might be some leeches that truly stay that way until they are burned. But, once something hits Enlightenment, it’s best to let the SRS play out as planned (so no leech training of such items). So, I might as well just leave them off the leech list as that mainly helps me identity which items to cram. And if they fail upon burn, then, well I’ll just do it all again. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yep! This is how I intended it to work.

3 Likes

I might have been slacking off a bit with my study blob, but not so much when it comes to WK. I’m now nearing the end of the Hell 地獄 levels! :japanese_ogre: Tomorrow (!) I’m facing Heaven 天国! :innocent:

But I’m doing so with several new leeches in tow from lv 38-40. >_> I’ve been working on them, but there are too many unique readings for these vocab items for them to stick properly.

It’s not all bad. In my last post I got the leeches down to 105. Since then they’ve been fluctuating between that and 119. Not going above 120 again, but, it goes to show it takes a while for some of these leeches to actually disappear for good!

Yesterday I was even down to 101 leeches another record! Yay! I had hoped to get it down to 100, but alas. Now it’s even back to 105 >_> But I already made a leech cloud yesterday so here it is: my leech situation of 101 leeches, lv 40! ^>^

Where to go from here?

I’m still using the Leech Trainer to get better at interference from similar items, AND I regularly go through my leeches using the Item Inspector/Self-Study Quiz. At least weekly I do this, but usually 2-3 times a week if I break up the items in batches (page 1 OR 2 of leech items in the Item Inspector).

It seems to be working, even if it is slow progress. It’s not the same leeches that I’m struggling with. But, it’s hard at times to feel that progress before leech items get a chance to become Enlightened and disappear. >_>

I might also need to revise my goals for the year, now that heaven is around the corner. :eyes: But I’ll do that in a different post! ^>^

For now, back to reviewing and leech training! :weight_lifting_woman:

purrfect

11 Likes

Congrats ekg san :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, no one told me ekg san had a study log :scream:

2 Likes

Welcome to my study log! :blush: It’s more of a study blob than anything! XD It’s updated quite irregularly, but, also, I’m focusing on getting rid of my leeches here, not so much the other stuff I do. Which also isn’t much compared to study logs with lists of study materials that people tick off daily/weekly/monthly.

I don’t think that format would suit my unstructured approach, so I’m just trying to motivate myself to learn those items that I truly struggle with since the normal SRS doesn’t seem quite enough. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good luck on clearing on those leeches :slight_smile:

To each their own :wink: We don’t have to compare ourselves with others. There are a lot of people for whom standard log format works - Yay. There are others for whom focus on certain areas (leeches in your case) works - Yay. In the end, “Default” is an option too, whether we want to use it or not is up to us :grin:

I think you are doing might fine with your approach :metal: Praise to you ekg san :star_struck:

2 Likes

Our time-zones doesn’t match but thanks for the early congrats for making it into Heaven! ^>^ It helped you believing in me! ^^

2 Likes

仲間だ :orange_heart:

tenor (38)

2 Likes

I just hope I can be as precious to you - as you’ve been to me (timezones disregarded! ) :kissing_heart: <3<3<3

2 Likes

The leech formula is such that the higher the leech value went, the longer it takes to decrease under the leech threshold.

With the new version you can check with a temporary filter which leeches have a good streak going. This gives you an ealy warning that they are on the way to recovery.

2 Likes

You are ekg san :slight_smile: :gift_heart: :100:

You are the main reason I am currently in the POLL thread. While I recognized your name in the GIF thread, I never interacted with any of you. I was mostly restricted to the Level 21 (sister thread to the SkyTree thread). I was beginning to explore new threads and started posting in “The Glia Awards” thread. (where I posted my first poll :slight_smile:) You took a chance to initiate the conversation and encouraged me for the active participation. We started discussing Norwegian jams. After a few days I created the BiriBiri Beats thread where there was a line in reference to the EKG pattern in KyokaJiro’s hair. Denzo san tagged me in the poll thread and matched my EKG reference to your username in the POLLS to make a joke. I was disappointed that I didn’t make that EKG connection and posted about it for the first time in a POLL thread. And here we are a few months later…

You are PRECIOUS @ekg san :star_struck: I am glad our paths crossed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes