Duolingo course: How to work with it?

I’ve studied Japanese for a few years so the DuoLingo system helps me practice and stay fresh, while slowly adding elements I didn’t know. They use a kind of a natural learning system that tries to mimic how we acquire language as kids through repetition, sound, sight, and context - so you can learn certain concepts intuitively. Think about how as kids we pretty much learned to speak our native languages to an extent without anyone first going over specific rules and grammar. My partner is also using DuoLingo and he has not studied Japanese before but doing the lessons every day and supplementing it with Japanese Language media and a few other study aids he is recognizing more and more Japanese easily in just a month.

Some tips would probably be to make sure you are keeping up with the lessons every day and if you miss one try to do it again as soon as you remember, to stay in the habit.
I am on the Weather & Food sections right now and I will admit that sometimes the speech itself goes very quickly, I hit repeat often and try to read the words as well which helps. I also listen to Japanese speech often (when I’m not specifically studying) in music and movies so it helps me get used to recognizing Japanese spoken at an average pace. Sometimes it is still to fast but it has been getting much better.

I learned the grammar I know from the Genki I & II textbooks. They were relatively inexpensive the last time I checked and cover all the grammar points I’ve encountered so far on duolingo. Plus there is always the forum there, people are really helpful, and here too.

:slight_smile: I hope this helps some. Good Luck!

1 Like

oops meant *too

They have actually started to make it better, even though It’s still far from perfect, and I hope they build upon it a lot. When was the last time you even tried it?

I’m pretty sick of all you level 60’s given these stupid answers time and time again. He asked for help on it, not to have you telling your opinion on it… and especially without any points as to why you hate it. But ye, since you are level 60 here on WK you are probably right and everyone should learn Japanese your way.

Im not saying duolingo is a good way of learning Japanese, but for me as a noob it has helped me a lot with sentence structure and how sentences are read. It’s also good for basics grammar repitition, and basic words and the course is pretty easy and fast to go through. It’s far from the best app for learning Japanese but It’s far from being the same as “nothing”, especially fot beginners in the language.

But ride your high horse so everyone can see it :wink:

I tried it a couple of months ago. It’s bad. I do believe they’re going to improve it over the long term, but at the moment it’s just a bad resource.

OP clearly stated that he is lost because no grammar is taught. I have been told on these forums that a resource I was using was crap, and I am nothing but thankful.

@ErebosM

If you haven’t already, please check out the resources thread.

For very basic, beginner grammar, you’re better off using the Genki textbooks. Japanese grammar is too hard different for most people to grasp intuitively, and taking your time with a beginner’s textbook pays off in the long run. Once you get a grasp on the basics, you can branch out to Tae Kim, Bunpro and others. Online resources are great, but most of them assume some previous knowledge, while a proper beginner’s textbook will start from the absolute basics and introduce contents gradually and with thorough explanations and exercises.

Welcome to the WK forums. Most times people are nice.

This is very simple guys:

The biz model of Duolingo is to go from a general approach to a specific one. What happens is that Duolingo gets a bigger market to go after, but its approach will never be able to compete with other products that go specific => general.

AKA

General stuff = great to take a look
Specific stuff = things that will actually take you to the final goal.

Why hasn’t WK added a lot more vocab and make it a kanji/vocab tool?

Because it’s going after a specific approach first. First Kanji. That’s why they win. After they conquer their very specific market (again, learning kanji), they’ll start increasing their scope (ex: EtoEto, adding proper names, etc).

2 Likes

I actually just looked at it last week during my break. It’s bad, it’s very very bad. It is Rosetta Stone levels of bad. Many simple and fundamental errors that should’ve been fixed on day one are still there.

Try actually reading what the person said, this is the single best advice for them. If your reading comprehension is this poor in English, why are you even bothering to learn Japanese?

Tell me, what’s better, asking for advice from someone who actually learned Japanese, or let the blind try and lead the blind? Though I feel like I’m doing a disservice to the OP, he’s just blind at the moment, you’re someone who has stapled their eyes shut because willful stupidity is a better idea. The worst kind of idiot is the one who thinks he’s a genius because he refuses to see beyond his own nose.

1 Like

So because you say It’s bad resource I have to take your word for it? I clearly stated in my post that I have find duolingo useful for a small aspect of my Japanese learning (basically basic word structure, basic grammar and word repitition). The problem I have is that people just states that It’s a bad resource without even giving a solid argument as to why that is, you did excatly the same just know telling me that It’s bad, so why is it bad? Depending on what you want out of your Japanese learning it can definetely be bad, but it can also be useful as a minor tool for your studies (It has been for me).

So yeah, it doesn’t teach you grammarpoints point by point but almost every grammarpoints in there is of the very basics, even for particles.

So yea you are forever grateful to people giving you advice about bad resources, but I mean do you really just listen to random people stating their opinons on something? Why does it have to be bad, if it helps you in some regard even if other people finds it complete garbage? You make it sound like I think duolingo is the only thing you need to learn Japanese and I clearly stated in my post that It’s not in the slightest useful for that.

It’s like I would say WaniKani is bad because it doesn’t help me in my kanji studies, so It’s just bad.

I’m just a bit sick hearing people that you have to learn in a specific way, or “my way”

Then maybe he could have told him that in order to understand everything on duoling you at least need kana knowledge and some basic grammar?

Well I have to give you credits for your very mature response! You know what? I’m not even gonna put energy into answer, It’s not worth it. Have a good day.

Maybe you should think about that statement for a bit, and then look yourself in the mirror? This is excactly the kind of mentality you have, just because I find duolingo useful for a small aspect of my learning I’m an idiot, now who can’t see beyond their own nose again?

I actually stated very clearly why I think it’s bad.

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYS … WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?
I just asked a little questions and you are answering fast, with long answers and really really a lot ^^ I can’t even catch up with all these answers, as I try to read them all.

Thanks a lot for all the help, the additional resources and the opinions. I am overwhelmed with all the responses and advices.
You definetely motivated me a lot and I hope I see you again in the forum!

Let the discussion continue… :grin:

4 Likes

Please quote the part where you did, cause i can’t find it.

1. I wouldn’t use Duolingo as my primary means for japanese, though it is fine for romance languages.
  2. there are some mistakes in the japanese course. not a ton, but some exist. if something seems/sounds weird, recommend you look it up elsewhere, or especially the comments/discussion.
  3. You’ll want to know your kana and some kanji first, but if you’re using WK, that’s not an issue.
  4. There are some grammar explanations, but only via the web that I can find. they would be under the “tips and tricks” section. See the Food 1 exercise, for example.

Summary:

Duolingo is fine for some daily practice when it comes to Japanese. I did learn some new things through it and the daily exercise was helpful to me. but I would use it as a supplement rather than the main course.

1 Like

Perhaps I should get my crayons.

@ErebosM please don’t be scared, we’re usually pretty nice people over here.

1 Like

The thing is that you can’t even use duolingo to learn basic grammar, so it has no point what so ever?
I clearly stated in my post as to why I find it useful, and it has nothing to do with learning grammar from scratch.

I would definetely agree with you that learning grammar from scratch on duolingo will never work, unless you want to put together sentences without even knowing why they are put together that way.

I loved Genki, and I love Bunpro for grammar but for easy and fun repetition and for word structure, duolingo can be useful, even though It’s a very small part of learning Japanese.

Perhaps it’s the way I read but it felt quite straightforward to mii. Not in a bad way but in a way a person understands and believes in his product.
I’m still not sure whether I wish i’ve found out about WaniKani sooner or not, though. Since I had time to focus on hiragana and katakana first and finding something good after trying bad stuff makes one’s appreciate it more - I am more aware of why WaniKani is designed in a wiser and efficient way than other learning sites/app I’ve used over the years (not just Japanese related).

Well, there is a point when it comes to wasting time - if reaching level 10 means that I would spend less time on learning grammar when I start doing so then it makes sense to follow that advice and use that time for other things. So I’ll be the first person to point out that I’m making a poor choice time management wise. And there’s that risk of burnout. But, since the original OP is already familiar with Doulingo and attachment does play a role in the way people move between different platforms I thought that sharing a similar experience would be somewhat helpful.

1 Like

No worries @2tea, I was just adding a few thoughts to your quote :slight_smile: It had nothing to do with Duolingo.

1 Like

My point (and this seems to be the general opinion on the forums) is that duolingo is a bad course for a beginner. If you’ve found some use for it, that’s great, and you don’t need anyone’s approval.

I do feel like it’s the role of those who are a bit further along to let beginners know when their efforts are being misguided. It happened to me and probably saved me a few months of wasted effort.

May I interest you in a kitten of peace?

7 Likes

I absolutely agree that it is bad for someone that doesn’t know any grammar at all, or how sentences are built up in the first place. I also agree that It’s a “role” of you people that is a bit further in the process of learning, and everything is of course welcome for us to listen to. Yes, I’m not far in my Japanese learning but I just wanted to point out that duolingo can help in a small part of your learning, It’s not like I said “Use duolingo and you will know Japanese”. I’m just a bit sick of getting put down by more advanced learners, and if I don’t follow their road and words I’m a blind idiot (In Syphus words).

For one, you don’t even know how I usually study, and It’s not like I use duolingo as my main course or my only resource to study Japanese.

I’m just a bit sick of seeing these posts where advanced learners put beginners down, and especially doing so without giving the slightest foundation as to why. It’s pretty damn discouraging.

Yes definetely, I just feel like I have the right to express my look at this too even if everyone is against me.

1 Like

fd07be1b8fff7d4cc9cfd60ba2e1e4f9--white-kittens-white-persian-kittens

You… you don’t want kitten of peace?

4 Likes

Yes, I definetely do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cats are undeniable.

3 Likes