DrDru's lab - Comprehensible Input from Day 1 : Part 6 released (2023-02-24)

I have just finished the second chapter of the story of Markus and Celestina. It’s here : The Tile World Chronicles (chapter 2)

( the first is here : The Tile World Chronicles ).

This one contains a bit more action than the previous one which was mainly about setting the universe and the characters.

It mainly uses N4 grammar and vocab. There are some more advanced words but I try
to limit them to the ones you will definitely see in the wild if you read manga / play JRPG or the ones with familiar Kanji. The URL usually contains the advanced words used on the page in English. Modern browsers tend to hide URLs but you can always use Yomichan.

I hope you like this story. For those interested, there should be somewhere between 4 and 6 chapters in total. I have already done most of the illustrations of Chapter 3.

Enjoy !

5 Likes

Amazing stuff! Currently checking out the website and I can already tell how much fun I’m going to have. Not having to pause and look up words because they’re already explained by pictures is nice in getting a good reading flow going.

3 Likes

@trunklayer : let’s see what happen :wink:

1 Like

It’s taken a while but Part 4 has finally been proofread !

What’s in the pipeline :

• Part 5 will be proofread next month as well as something really cool (not on my site).

• Part 6 will be proofread in December. Christmas will be a good time to celebrate my 100th page ! :slight_smile:

Next I think I’ll be working on The Tile World Chronicles as I’d like to move it forward. It’s all been planned, I know where I’m going and I have some illustrations ready. All I need is time !!!

I can only dream of the day the two projects will merge. Realistically not before an other 3 years but I am more motivated than ever and my Japanese is also getting much better. The person who proofreads my works catches less and less errors.

6 Likes

Hi all,

(For those who don’t know, my site is an attempt to teach Japanese without relying on translation using a lot of commprehensible input only )

I have finally got Part 5 proofread. It’s here https://drdru.github.io/stories/5_01_desktop.html .

At the end of part 4 I was thinking that I had to change my style or it would become repetitive so this part is a bit different.
It’s about something the reader should be familiar with : computers, the internet and online shopping.

I’ve spent a lot of time recreating the shopping experience of a famous fashion brand that I very orginally called フ&ム.

I hope you like it and if you spot a mistake please let me know!

4 Likes

Hi all,

I have finished part 6 of this project : here.
This release celebrates the 100th page ; about 500 words are now covered.

As stated in the intro, this projects has two goals :

• prove that you can learn japanese without using your mother tongue
  • make it a fun experience

I think I achieved them. I have proven it’s possible to write a book similar to the Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata for an Asian langague in a format a bit less dry.

When I started I thought this would fill a gap in the resources available to Japanese learners. It turns out it never really took off.
I personally think it’s a really cool resource to have. I wish this existed when I was a beginner.

I use the 100th page (at the bottom end of the page) as an opportunity to thank two people of this forum : @Gorbit99 and @Twelvewishes who have given me a ton of high quality feedback.

I am going to take a break from this project for some time. I am more and more excited by my other project ( The Tile World Chronicles) and I’m planning to dedicate myself to it this year.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

wiggles excitedly And thank you for all the fun reading material. I had so many Tadoku books to choose from, but I’m glad I ended up with this.

3 Likes

Hey Dru, I was taking another look at this and had a thought. What about arranging the pictures in Japanese word order?

For example

Putting the mouse first in this one, then the cheese. You’d probably want to flip the emoji though if possible. Is that possible? I see it’s not an image exactly but the same way emoji work in texts :thinking:

2 Likes

Hey @DIO-Berry

It’s never crossed my mind to do that but it would be make sense (at least for the first few pages).
I’m adding that to my to-do. Thanks for the suggestion !

3 Likes

No problem! I’m glad I could offer some useful feedback :smiley:

3 Likes

@drdru さん、I’m sorry, but I think I found a bug:

https://drdru.github.io/twc/twc_markus_ascent/chapter_5/08_door_to_the_underground_town.html

It looks like it was meant to be “石は十分じゅうぶんあつまった?”, but the あつ part somehow ended up not as furigana.

Same here:

https://drdru.github.io/twc/twc_markus_ascent/chapter_5/10_good_dancer.html

Anyway, I’ve already said this, but huge thanks again! Very interesting. Was going to read one chapter a day and ended up reading all today :sweat_smile:
Looking forward to the next part! :cat2:

5 Likes

You’ve read about 120 pages on my webcomic in a day or two. That’s amazing. It’s the greatest reward for me !

Thans for pointing out the issue. I’ll fix it later.

Meoww

EDIT : How difficult did you find it ? I’ve seen in your log that you’re currently reading NHK easy news and it’s targeted to people at about that level so I’m curious.

3 Likes

I find it quite easy to read, especially thanks to furigana and the abundance of pictures. It’s very beginner-friendly, thank you again!

3 Likes

Hi DrDru,

First of all, I want to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to you for creating this awesome content

It is quite quirky and funny

The pages have not been working properly for a few days now

Do you have any updates on the status of the site?

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind word.

The pages have not been working properly for a few days now

The stories are back now.

How did you happen to notice ? Were you using the site ? I’m asking because I have no analytics and no clue how many people are actually using it. Sometime I wish I knew a bit more about the activity on the site.

4 Likes

yea…I do check in with the website regularly

and like you said, it is back now

will be looking forward to your future works

:3

3 Likes

Someone’s mentioning my site in a video. It feels very strange.

4 Likes

Congratulations! :tada:

Also, sorry for the lack of feedback lately – I’ve been having some purrsonal purroblems and didn’t have much energy for Japanese studies lately, but I’m slowly catching up!

Anyway, best of luck to you and thank you again for your meowgnificent site!

1 Like

No worries at all. As much as I enjoy feedback no one has any obligation to give them.

I hope you get everything sorted very soon :crossed_fingers:.

1 Like

ありがお!I am a complete beginner and a lover of comprehensible input theory; this is exactly what I was looking for!

2 Likes