DrDru's lab - Comprehensible Input from Day 1 : Part 6 released (2023-02-24)

Hi everyone

I just want to let everyone know that this project is still very much alive.
I am glad to anounce that the first 27 pages have been proofread by a native speaker so in theory they should be usable by people starting their Japanese learning journey.

The third set of stories that was under construction when I first posted is finished (unfortunately it has not been proofread yet). There is a fourth set that is under construction and my motivation to continue has never been so high.

If you want to have a look you can start here : https://drdru.github.io/stories/intro.html
If you want to pick a random story you can pick one here : https://drdru.github.io/stories.html
If you don’t know what this is all about, here is a copy of my first post :

13 Likes

Hi all,

A quick update for those who have an interest in my project. Part 3 has now been proofread. That makes a total of 54 pages of fun content available for beginners with a cool 4 pages long pirate story at the end :slight_smile:

Part 4 is still under contruction I’d say I am 70% done.

If you want to have a look you can start here : https://drdru.github.io/stories/intro.html
If you want to pick a random story you can pick one here : https://drdru.github.io/stories.html

9 Likes

That is both cute and really creepy.

2 Likes

Given your choice of profile picture I take that as a compliment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The sentences are so cuuuute!
チャックノリスも登場!

走よう?走ろう?

2 Likes

This is a great idea !
Well done :+1:

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

Thanks @Kuropanda_meow @Jupiette . Nice comments keep me going!

2 Likes

I read through some of this. It is fun enough that I will finish it up. Thank you for the nice content. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is such an awesome idea! And exactly what I was looking for / hoping for! Thank you, and well done for putting together such a valuable and entertaining resource for beginners :orange_heart:

1 Like

What a cute resource, thank you!

1 Like

I’d be glad to know your thoughts at the end of it!

1 Like

This is fun for beginners, nice job! :nerd_face: :+1:

2 Likes

The next link on 4.24 seems broken

1 Like

@Doggo8 thanks. Comments like this give me some extra motivation to continue this project! :slight_smile:

@Gorbit99 : I have added the link to the first few stories of the 5th part. It is under construction though. Out of curiosity, did you end up randomly on this 4_24 or did you read everything ?

In the unlikely possibility that you read the whole part 4 (warning : it has not yet been proofread yet) I’d be happy to know if you liked it or not ? It is the first time since the beginning that the smaller stories are part of a bigger one and I find it quite cool.

1 Like

I was really curious about how many pages there are (and forgot to check the github repo)
Actually reading I’m on the 5th story, there’s a very surprising amount of stuff in there

I might leave a few css snippets to fix a few oddities I’ve found, for example that the emojis don’t line up with the text, though you should use actual emojis there, the scaled up emojis look noticable worse

2 Likes

I might leave a few css snippets to fix a few oddities

Thanks for doing this. A word of warning though : the HTML/CSS is MVP HTML/CSS… The naming convention is rubbish, some CSS is loaded but not used, the formatting is ‘non standard’ …
I focus all my energy on creating more content. I don’t really care about the code as long as what’s returned on the user screen is good enough.

It would be great to have a table of contents, this way you need to go through each individual lesson to get back to where you were if you don’t remember the exact url (or have forgotten)

1 Like

So as I promised, a few suggestions:

The fact that ひだり and みぎ aren’t in the same row greatly annoys me. There are several ways to solve this. If you can allow yourself to give the containing div a custom class, you can use

.left-right-container {
  display: flex;
  justify-content: space-between;
}

I think this 小さい is missing an い in the furigana

I would honestly combine these kanji into a single ruby tag. For one, it makes more sense (to me at least), because those two make up the word together, and also, that way double clicking can select the whole word at once.

This to me reads as キ and separately ムチャック, because of the justified text (and also probably because these two don’t have any space inbetween them. Adding the rules:

.name rt {
  text-align: center;
}

.name img {
  padding: 0.25em;
}

would solve this.

All of this is up to like 2.01

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the CSS snippets and for the correction. Everything you say is very sensible.

There is actually a table of content : https://drdru.github.io/stories.html . I don’t know which page you’re landing on but I guess it is drdru.github.io/intro. The real homepage is drdru.github.io and it is accessible from there.

2 Likes

Alright, time to continue my reading

Here you have a 1 both as kanji and a numeral

Here on a phone at least the text and the flags overlap
Uploading: IMG_20220227_234959.jpg…

Missing く in the furigana here

That 2 there is probably a mistake

1 Like