Don's Japanese Conjugation Drill

Oh, each number represents the number of trick questions in a test of 10000 questions, so it’s working out at 25% on average.

\_(:slight_smile: )_/

I still don’t get it. I’m seeing more than 10000 if I’m looking at the numbers that are around 2k. And only slightly above 8k if looking at the other column. I’m not going to ask you to teach me javascript… I’m just not seeing it, but I’ll trust you. ^^;

Oooooh! The numbers in black.

Sorry - I’m so used to seeing that screen that I didn’t even consider the numbers in blue.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!! So those are different attempts! Not just one really long attempt that doesn’t add up. Now I understand. XD
ごめん!

(A part of me was wondering “like, did only one trick question come up for every thousand or so?!”)

Will investigate the other two (even though they look correct in the source file at a glance.)

> window.answer
< "面白かった"
> window.answer2
< "面おもしろかった"
  function kanaForm(word) {
    return word.replace(/(?:.|\{.+?\})\[(.*?)\]/g, "$1");
  }

function kanjiForm(word) {
    return word.replace(/(?:(.)|\{(.+?)\})\[.*?\]/g, "$1$2");
  }

function wordWithFurigana(word) {
    return word.replace(/(?:(.)|\{(.+?)\})\[(.*?)\]/g, "<span tooltip='$3'>$1$2</span>");
  }
> kanaForm("{面白}[おもしろ]い")
< "おもしろい"
> kanjiForm("{面白}[おもしろ]い")
< "面白い"
> wordWithFurigana("{面白}[おもしろ]い")
< "<span tooltip='おもしろ'>面白</span>い"
> kanaForm("使[つか]う") // regression test
< "つかう"
> kanjiForm("使[つか]う")
< "使う"
> wordWithFurigana("使[つか]う")
< "<span tooltip='つか'>使</span>う"

Ah, right. I know what I did wrong now. Thanks!

Edit: and fixed.

If he’s old he can probably talk however he wants to; it’s everybody else who has to speak politely to him to show respect. Or maybe it was within a grammatical construction that requires casual form?

Got you now. Actually there are a few of these cases where “plain” has been used to mean dictionary form. I’ll add a warning for now.

this is awesome, thank you :slight_smile:

Well, it was his own thoughts in his mind… So he was only talking to himself. I guess that’s why. I suppose he’s not stuffy. : D

Thank you!

While I’m at it, I might as well check it out on my phone.

Well, at first I thought it was too wide, but I had zoomed in to select things in the menu. Zooming back out solved it.

Also, this time I was 5 for 5, but I feel like I had easier questions (or clearer ones) this time…

[details=My results:]
Question Answer Response
What is the affirmative form of 歌いません? 歌います うたいます ○
What is the present form of 作った? 作る 作る ○
What is the affirmative form of しない? する する ○
What is the negative form of 起きて? 起きなくて おきなくて ○
What is the past form of 勉強します? 勉強しました べんきょうしました ○
5 of 5 correct.

43.965 seconds.[/details]

Thanks again for putting this together, Don! : D

Wow, this is just what I need! Thank you!

I like this tool, I’m going to use it until I get those conjugations down solid :slight_smile:

I had several of those as well. For example, in a drill with 5 questions, the first three were exactly the same question. This may be because I had limited options checked. I’m just beginning to learn conjugation and so I only have polite affirmative and polite negative checked since that’s all I’ve learned so far. I checked both verb classes… I had no idea what those indicated until I read this thread-- my text teaches them as る/う verbs. I think it would be helpful to add some of the other labels AnimeCanuck mentioned earlier since it seems people are learning different names for the groups.

That being said, thanks for making this! I’ve had this website saved for use for when I finally began delving into verbs. It seems like it will be very helpful.

Tried it here and it’s amazing! Deff gonna use it from now on.

Thanks for the feedback. I am working on putting in new verbs now.

Cool resource!

OK. I have greatly expanded the word list. There’s more than double the previous count.

I have also taken the opportunity to fix the godan verb class entries so that the final character is more evenly spread between む, る, う, す, く, ぬ, ぐ or ぶ.

Enjoy!

Hello;

This is great tool to practice, I have noticed a weird point but I am not sure whether it is a mistake.

喜ぶ is listed as よころぶ instead of よろこぶ