Doggy Detectives 2! ใŠใ‹ใ‚ใ‚Š Week 1 Discussion ๐Ÿถ

Ah I thought it was the policeman doing the asserting- which didnโ€™t make sense. I hadnโ€™t twigged it was the criminal.

2 Likes

Hello! Page 8 question about use of ใ‚’ particle:

ใจใ“ใ‚ใŒใ€ไธ€็•ชๅ‰ใ‚’่ตฐใ‚‹ใ‚ปใƒณใƒˆใƒใƒผใƒŠใƒผใƒ‰ใฎใ‚ขใƒซใƒ—ใ‚นใŒใ€ใƒใ‚ฑใƒ„ใฎๆฐดใ‚’ใฒใฃใใ‚Š่ฟ”ใ—ใŸใ‹ใ‚‰๏ผŒๅคงๅค‰ใ€‚

ใ‚’ particle marks an object ไธ€็•ชๅ‰ (the fist at the front). The verb ่ตฐใ‚‹ is intransitive, does not take an object. What am I missing with regard to ใ‚’ in this sentence? Thank you!

Total grammar newbie, I am.

6 Likes

I completely read over it, but then you asking this question forced me to think about it :pray:

I found this link.

Unlike the direct object weโ€™re familiar with in English, places can also be the direct object of motion verbs such as ใ€Œๆญฉใใ€ and ใ€Œ่ตฐใ‚‹ใ€. Since the motion verb is done to the location, the concept of direct object is the same in Japanese. However, as you can see by the next examples, it often translates to something different in English due to the slight difference of the concept of direct object.

1. ่ก— ใ‚’ ใถใ‚‰ใถใ‚‰ๆญฉใใ€‚
    Aimlessly walk through town. (Lit: Aimlessly walk town)
  2. ้ซ˜้€Ÿ้“่ทฏ ใ‚’ ่ตฐใ‚‹ใ€‚
    Run through expressway. (Lit: Run expressway)

This seems to line up with the โ€˜general feelingโ€™ of ใ‚’ versus ใง that is described by Japanese people on HiNative here and here.

5 Likes

Thanks! Very helpful.

1 Like

Page 10

First line, ใ‚‚ใ†ใ€ใŠใ“ใฃใŸใ€‚The vocab sheet lists the dictionary form as ใŠใ‚ใ‚‹ to end; to come to an end; to finish, but isnโ€™t it ๆ€’(ใŠใ“)ใ‚‹, to get mad? As in, โ€œNow, Iโ€™m angry!โ€ or more colloquially โ€œIโ€™ve had it!โ€ ??

3 Likes